• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create an account.

kriz6912

Confections! What did we make? (2017 – )

22 hours ago, keychris said:

so do you still describe yourself as just a "hobbyist" @kriz6912 :P

amazing as always, thanks for those videos :)

Haha. Thanks, Chris. :-)

22 hours ago, keychris said:

Wow.  Those bring back memories.  Can you even still buy them?

• Like 1

@jmacnaughtan

Thanks for confirming that my memory is not completely shot. I looked at these a couple of days ago and remembered eating them.   Then I questioned my memory. But apparently it's not so bad.:)

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Anna N said:

@jmacnaughtan

Thanks for confirming that my memory is not completely shot. I looked at these a couple of days ago and remembered eating them.   Then I questioned my memory. But apparently it's not so bad.:)

I've seen them somewhere recently - can't recall if it's a trade show or bulk store.

1 hour ago, jmacnaughtan said:

Wow.  Those bring back memories.  Can you even still buy them?

You sure can here in Australia... I just made it a little bit easier ;) Getting lots of people commenting on them so hopefully they're a hit!

8 hours ago, Anna N said:

@jmacnaughtan

They remind me of Sno-Caps candy, except in color.

12 hours ago, Kerry Beal said:

I've seen them somewhere recently - can't recall if it's a trade show or bulk store.

Bulk Barn often has them, though they may come and go with the seasons. I've seen 'em there but they aren't a particular favorite of mine, so I don't keep track of what time of the year it is. 

21 hours ago, keychris said:

You sure can here in Australia... I just made it a little bit easier ;) Getting lots of people commenting on them so hopefully they're a hit!

Just don't forget to do them in white chocolate, too ;)

1 hour ago, jmacnaughtan said:

Just don't forget to do them in white chocolate, too ;)

heh, yes! I just didn't have any white chocolate tempered up on the weekend :)

A special order for a conference out of state - shipping chocolates at 32C temperatures is fraught with problems :/

• Like 7

IMG_6103.thumb.JPG.51e68adbacf6f3f5cae22bacc9ac34a5.JPG

Today I tried a new (to me) technique I saw on Instagram - the yellow splatter was done by dripping the cocoa butter from the bottle and using the airbrush to blow it at the mold. Effective and you don't have to clean the airbrush :)

• Like 11

10 hours ago, pastrygirl said:

Today I tried a new (to me) technique I saw on Instagram - the yellow splatter was done by dripping the cocoa butter from the bottle and using the airbrush to blow it at the mold. Effective and you don't have to clean the airbrush :)

WOW - that looks amazing...definitely going to try that idea! One question though....how did you get the clean stripes? Did you lay acetate in teh mould and then spray...or spray and then wipe the stripe in? Or option C...?

18 hours ago, pastrygirl said:

Do you have a link to this instagram post?  I'd love to check it out.  

7 hours ago, Bentley said:

Do you have a link to this instagram post?  I'd love to check it out.  

Let's see if this works: 

• Like 8

Pavoni egg mould - these things are pretty big. I don't think I've ever received an egg this large :D

• Like 9

Posted (edited)

Suspicious chocolate chicken...

And a movie...

_063. Suspicious chicken (C)_WM_400.jpg

Edited by kriz6912 (log)
  • Like 14

Wish I had started sooner like keychris and kriz6912! Some of my Easter chocolates... hedgehog - peanut butter, painted bunny - caramel, bunny - coconut. Still need to make large hollow bunnies & eggs.

IMG_8340-Easter2017.jpg.77e1f38ad24230064ae0bec7ce09b823.jpg

• Like 9

Posted (edited)

My first attempt at Easter eggs:

dutton-easter.jpg.bf60059d0224a05a01a01de793a41021.jpg

Clockwise from top left, the flavors are:  strawberry cream, crispy hazelnut gianduja, dark salted caramel, and layers of crispy peanut butter gianduja and cherry pâte de fruit. The caramel proved to be a challenge. With the first batch, using my standard caramel, about a third of the shells developed hairline cracks. So I washed the molds, decorated them again, and made more caramel, this time using a recipe that included added white chocolate and cocoa butter. None of those has cracked so far. Any ideas as to what might have happened with the plain caramel? I used Ewald Notter's recipe, and it has not leaked or caused cracks when piped into smaller cavities, so I'm guessing the larger volume of the egg molds is a factor. The eggs are 2 3/4" long and, with the caramel filling, weigh about 50 grams.

Edited by Jim D. (log)
  • Like 11

@curls, don't feel bad, I've totally dropped the ball this Easter season.  I've made a few things but am lacking motivation as far as actually going out and selling them.  I made/sold way more the past 2 years. :|

@Jim D., nice work with the airbrush!

Here are my few - I abandoned the painters tape for the eggs but still used the dry airbrush technique.  Some of the colors are mixed with white chocolate and don't splatter in as fine a mist (or were just dripped from a spoon), best results were when dripping CB directly from the bottle.

Truffle eggs, these are about 4" tall, some molds I got from Chef Rubber last fall.  Truffles inside are about 15mm cubes.IMG_6229.thumb.JPG.6161ea03a0d41b900157fc11913ae332.JPGIMG_6257.thumb.JPG.f82562c754bf1352baa82556194478be.JPG

Couple of bunnies - small ones (bottom) are filled solid with truffle ganache, large (top) are hollow.  I do like these molds even if the large ones have a bit of a learning curve in both scraping and connecting.  I'll get more next time DR has a sale or free shipping, and practice my hand-painting :)

IMG_6240.thumb.JPG.7d950adff8ff3ab8a0e98bfb8aedee8f.JPGIMG_6253.thumb.JPG.cf9c2c97802219f68eaf8ad3fcbc7f74.JPG

• Like 7

Had a learner over to the lab today.

We made fruit caramels. mint patties and fudge. 2 out of 3 pics remembered.

IMG_4601.jpg.cf7c28a5534b7908057134ee0aefadf8.jpg

IMG_4606.jpg.655c316199aadfa1e5c50065cd3b8826.jpg

• Like 12

Haven't had much time (or money) to rebuild the chocolate mold collection. But, I did manage a few items for orders this week.  The swirly ones are Bailey's. The other two are dark chocolate-sea salt caramel, and MC sea salt caramel.  I've got 2 of the grandkids here now 'helping Grammie" - mainly conducting taste testing and eliminating all evidence of rejects.:P

IMG_1495.JPG

• Like 7

• Similar Content

• By Paul Bacino
      I want to make some candied mint leaves for a dessert. Would you blanch them first to set the color ? Dry them, coat in egg wash. Coat with confectioners sugar or super
      fine sugar ? Dry in oven at a low temp or on the counter? How long will they last?
      I will be serving this with a lemon panna cotta with a blueberry or blk berry sauce.
      Paul
    • By quiet1
      We have a local Italian bakery my mom loves, but they are very expensive and hard for her to get to. She also really likes cookbooks (she reads them even if she never cooks from them  ) so I was thinking for her birthday I could get her a cookbook that has similar cookies and cakes, and offer to make a few things for her on request also.

I'll obviously look myself, but eGullet is always well informed about the quality of cookbooks so I wanted to know if anyone has any recommendations. The thing about the Italian bakery is that the stuff they make seems to me to be not as sweet as classic American recipes, and often have more complex flavors and also are usually on the light end for whatever the item is. (Like even something that's intended to be dense doesn't have a very heavy sensation in the mouth.)
    • By jedovaty
      Hi:

I'm making some homemade peanut butter cups, but shaping them like bon bons instead.  I don't have bon bon molds, so instead I'm dipping the peanut butter centers into tempered chocolate.  As the chocolate coating sets, it contracts and my soft peanut butter center squirts out a little.  Is there a way to prevent this, or do I need to do a second dipping?  I've tried with both frozen and room temp centers (although peanut butter with a little vanilla, salt, and powdered sugar doesn't seem to freeze at all).
    • By Kerry Beal
      It's that time again - I'm the group leader for a group of newly minted Ecole Chocolat grads taking a masters course. This one is in Wieze, Belgium. You may recall my last trip as group leader for Ecole when I took a group to Valrhona in France.

I got my packing done on Sunday - was all prepared, car was to pick me up at 6 pm to drive me to the airport. Got a little suspicious when the child was late getting off the bus from school - the driver said that the highway wasn't moving well. At about 5:15 I got a call from the limo service to say that the car that was coming to get me had moved 2 car lengths in the last 30 minutes. Apparently a car roll over on the westbound lanes of highway had ejected two people into the eastbound lanes and the entire highway was closed in both directions.

So I set out in my own vehicle - which of course had no gas, and needed oil... at least the toll highway got me past the problem.  Airport wants $175/week to park - so a quick text to @Alleguede and he came to fetch my car from the airport to park in his driveway until I return.

So here I sit in the lounge awaiting my departure.

I'm doing the Jet Lag program that I have done several times before that has worked well for me. Overcoming Jet Lag, by Charles F. Ehret and Lynne Waller Scanlon. This involves food and caffeine modification. So for the past 4 days I've been drinking Rooibos Provence throughout the day and between 3 and 4:30 slugging down as much real tea as my bladder can handle! The dietary part consists of alternating days of 'feasting' and 'fasting' with high protein breakfasts and lunches and high carb dinners. I had planned to get the driver to stop at the Tim Horton's at the top of my street to pick up the black coffee that is to be taken at around 6 pm the day of travel - unfortunately as I was driving myself that didn't happen - so when I hit the lounge I drank down two cups of strong black caffeinated coffee - better late than never. I'm not much of a coffee drinker - and particularly not black. Should be good for some palpitations when I start the next part of the program which is to sleep as soon as I get on the plane!

This is a 'fasting day', 800 calories suggested - I left my carb meal until I reached the lounge.

]

One of the two cups of coffee.

These are the "Gentlemen Retire to the Library' chocolates that I posted before that I am taking along - port wine PDF and tobacco ganache. I used Sosa tobacco flavouring this time instead of a cigar so I don't have to concern myself with nicotine poisoning.

• By pastrygirl
      I'm watching The Sweet Makers on BBC - four British pastry chefs & confectioners recreate Tudor, Georgian, and Victorian sweets with petiod ingredients and equipment. A little British Baking Show, a little Downtown Abbey. 

Check it it out for a slice of pastry history. 

BBC viewer only available to the U.K., but on this side of the pond where there's a will, there's a way.