Jump to content
  • Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

kriz6912

Confections! What did we make? (2017 – )

Recommended Posts

1 hour ago, Matthew.Taylor said:

Thanks for the honesty.


No problem. Though, to be completely honest, that was entirely tongue-in-cheek. I was just pointing out little unimportant nothings under the guise of being merciless as sort of a joke. Nothing wrong with the way you did your ganache and the thing about the milk chocolate was just a little jab I like to take now and then because I personally like milk chocolate. 

 

1 hour ago, Matthew.Taylor said:

but wouldn't that put too much liquid in the ganache?


Maybe. Wouldn't think it would be any worse than using a strawberry puree though. I guess it depends on the shelf life you're shooting for.
 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Happy Earth Day! These little guys are filled with yuzu pate du fruit and milk chocolate ganache. Hope you are all having a great weekend :) 

7ADFEC52-3245-48F7-AD95-FEBCCE14E575.jpeg

  • Like 11

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

A6C53A0F-A821-42CF-9046-007F04AC8F00.thumb.jpeg.47d9e6be8310f6083953633ad5ce4b81.jpeg

 

Making a few barks to take for the examiners to share this weekend in London, Ontario. This one is lemon and lavender with dried blueberries from Costco.

  • Like 7

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, Kerry Beal said:

This one is lemon and lavender with dried blueberries from Costco.

 

I suppose you used essential oils, right? If so, can I ask how much lavender did you add? I go crazy each time I use lavender essential oil, most of the times 1 drop is few and 2 are too much (or 2 and 3, or 3 and 4). Lavender oil (the ones I tried, at least) is really strong, next times I'm considering to add it to a part of the batter, then add parts of this to the rest to be more precise, only problem is that I end up with waste which doesn't make me happy.

Dried blueberries are something I'd really love to find here.

 

 

 

Teo

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

This particular lavender oil is not totally overpowering - I think I used three drops to the 10 drops of lemon oil for about a kilo of white chocolate.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
52 minutes ago, Kerry Beal said:

This particular lavender oil is not totally overpowering - I think I used three drops to the 10 drops of lemon oil for about a kilo of white chocolate.

That bark sounds delicious - I wish  I had thought about making something for my examiner today - I have to drive 2 hours on my motorbike for a 15 minute skills test so I can get my learners license - 50 yrs old and I  still get nervous - afterwards I am going to the Gourmet Warehouse for some therapy - What brand is the lavender oil?  I might find it there and pick it up - and the lemon oil.  And some molds.  and some olive oil and........:)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Chocoguyin Pemby said:

That bark sounds delicious - I wish  I had thought about making something for my examiner today - I have to drive 2 hours on my motorbike for a 15 minute skills test so I can get my learners license - 50 yrs old and I  still get nervous - afterwards I am going to the Gourmet Warehouse for some therapy - What brand is the lavender oil?  I might find it there and pick it up - and the lemon oil.  And some molds.  and some olive oil and........:)

Not one you'll find in stores. It's from Annatolian Treasures. It's English Lavender - don't see it on their list anymore. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Kerry Beal said:

Not one you'll find in stores. It's from Annatolian Treasures. It's English Lavender - don't see it on their list anymore. 

 

Thanks for the info and for the link, really useful. The essential oils I find here are generic, never seen the differentiation about origin. So I assume English lavender should be milder than the French one, good to know for the next time. They have great prices too, I was asked 120 euro for 5 ml of chamomile essential oil, here it costs $17.40, just a liiiiiittle difference. They have stuff I've never seen too, like magnolia essential oil: I knew they make magnolia pickles in Japan, but never seen this flower used anywhere else. $1 samples are a great idea too, wish more sellers had them.

Only problem is that I'll go through import hell if I try to place an order.

 

 

 

Teo

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, teonzo said:

 

Thanks for the info and for the link, really useful. The essential oils I find here are generic, never seen the differentiation about origin. So I assume English lavender should be milder than the French one, good to know for the next time. They have great prices too, I was asked 120 euro for 5 ml of chamomile essential oil, here it costs $17.40, just a liiiiiittle difference. They have stuff I've never seen too, like magnolia essential oil: I knew they make magnolia pickles in Japan, but never seen this flower used anywhere else. $1 samples are a great idea too, wish more sellers had them.

Only problem is that I'll go through import hell if I try to place an order.

 

 

 

Teo

 

Indeed - even to import to Canada is a bit of an issue. 

 

I first discovered this company when I bought Rose Otto. I paid pennies on the dollar compared to what it costs now.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Kerry Beal said:

Indeed - even to import to Canada is a bit of an issue. 

 

I first discovered this company when I bought Rose Otto. I paid pennies on the dollar compared to what it costs now.


Kinda sad to hear that. I bookmarked the site because it said they can ship most items to most places without trouble. I don't even know if there's anything I want, I'm not up on essential oils enough to be confident about what is or isn't safe to use in a food situation, but I was going to take a peek. But I know there's nothing I want bad enough to deal with import hassles.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Tri2Cook said:


Kinda sad to hear that. I bookmarked the site because it said they can ship most items to most places without trouble. I don't even know if there's anything I want, I'm not up on essential oils enough to be confident about what is or isn't safe to use in a food situation, but I was going to take a peek. But I know there's nothing I want bad enough to deal with import hassles.

It was quite a few years ago - back in the days when the Americans were a little hesitant to sell to Canadians. I suspect it wouldn't be a problem these days. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 

mother's day gifts for my children's school mother's day stall

  • Like 5

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I normally dont do boxed items, but there was a request, box included espresso ganache, salted caramel, blueberry pate de fruit, peanut butter, peppermint fondant, and cashew caramel. Next in some licorice sticks and pops. In another post, I mentioned how a friend of mine works in a machine shop and had made me a form so I can get a more consistant shape on the lollipops. So he made one for me as a test, then I asked him for four others and gave him the measurements. So these are the molds that he made me, as well as the lollipops they produce. Next two pictures, peanut brittle and sesame brittle.

 

In writing this short post, I thought of doing a sesame caramel. Any thoughts on that? It sounds delicious, but I'm not sure if it would have a weird chew. Anyways, just throwing it out there.

2019-02-28 14.08.33.jpg

2019-02-28 14.22.59.jpg

2019-04-02 14.59.27.jpg

2019-04-02 15.01.40.jpg

2019-04-02 15.01.50.jpg

2019-04-12 10.00.56.jpg

2019-04-23 14.27.42.jpg

  • Like 6

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Made a batch of chocolates for Mothers Day and tried some new to me flavours - Gold is Earl Grey Tea, Bolt is raspberry, bluey is pistachio, Heart is baileys and Green is white chocolate mango.  made over 500 and they are all gone - time to buy some more chocolate!!  I tried using a Russian piping tip with some success on the green one - I think the air pressure was to high using my HVLP spray gun.  Next time I will try my other airbrush and compressor.

IMG_3696.jpg

IMG_3697.jpg

IMG_3700.jpg

IMG_3701.jpg

IMG_3704.jpg

IMG_3709.jpg

IMG_3711.jpg

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

  • Similar Content

    • By pastrygirl
      My supplier decided that cocoa butter is now special order so I had to buy a case. And now I have an excessive amount of cocoa butter, anyone need any?  
       
      Cacao Barry cocoa butter pistoles with a best by date of April 2021   $66 for the 3 kg tub or $22 per kg plus shipping. 
       
       
    • By pastrygirl
      This looks interesting - I know some of us have lamented the lack of flavor or off flavors of additives to colored cocoa butter - anyone seen or tried these?  Looks like they can be used either to mix into chocolate as a fat-based flavor or to decorate molds as usual with colored CB ...  More expensive than Valrhona Inspiration or regular colored CB, I wonder how they compare in flavor intensity, the Valrhonas I've tried were fairly intense.  I also wonder what flavors brown, black, and amber are ... https://www.pcb-creation.com/pure-emotion-colour-by-pcb-creation/?lang=en

       
      Edited to add: the black/ brown flavors are chocolate, of course! 🙃
       
    • By curls
      So, what is everyone doing for the pastry & baking side of Easter?
       
      I'm working on the following chocolates: fruit & nut eggs, hollow bunnies, Jelly Belly filled bunnies, coconut bunnies, dragons (filled with rice krispies & chocolate), peanut butter hedgehogs, and malted milk hens. Hoping to finish my dark chocolate production today and get started on all my milk chocolate items.
       
      My father-in-law will be baking the traditional family Easter bread a day or two before Easter. Its an enriched bread and he makes two versions -- one with raisins and one without (I prefer the one with raisins).
       

       
      And I was lucky enough to spot this couple in the sale moulds stock at last year's eGullet chocolate & confections workshop in Niagara-on-the-Lake, Ontario. These love bunnies help so very much with Easter chocolate production!  ;-)

    • By Jim D.
      I have an opportunity to obtain (without a trip to NYC, where everything appears available) some hard-to-find liqueurs or brandies for my chocolate work, primarily in ganaches. I already have a poire Williams eau-de-vie and a framboise one as well. I have German kirschwasser but am getting low on that, so am thinking of getting more while I have this chance. For new ones, I'm thinking primarily of apricot. I have heard there are some wonderful European apricot brandies/liqueurs, but don't know which really taste of apricots and are worth purchasing. And the other flavor I would like is a strawberry brandy or liqueur. Online I've found Dolceterra Marcati wild strawberries liqueur and Drillaut strawberry liqueur but know nothing about either. I lean more toward a liqueur/cordial than eau-de-vie because sometimes I think the latter does not always taste specifically of the fruit.
       
      Any guidance would be much appreciated, including ideas for fruits I haven't mentioned.
    • By chows
      I've recently started making caramels and been experimenting with lots of flavors and having a blast. One thing that I am having a hard time finding information about is the role of the different ingredients and how different ratios affect the firmness of a caramel. In particular, I have an espresso caramel recipe that I can't seem to get to the soft, no-effort-while-chewing texture that I've achieved with other flavors, yet I've stuck to the same temperatures as other recipes. This leads me to believe that the ratio of ingredients is key. I was hoping I'd be able to get some insight into how to alter ingredient ratios to produce a softer caramel. 
       
      Any help would be appreciated.
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×