• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create an account.

kriz6912

Confections! What did we make? (2017 – )

48 minutes ago, Jamal12 said:

Arab oud perfume bottle chocolate. This is a test of how it would look like, made in a homemade gelatine / glycerin mold 

IMG_20180725_230253[1].jpg

Somewhere in my collection of polycarbonate molds I have one that makes 4 or 5 little perfume bottles. They are quite elaborate I recall.

• Like 1

Using many of the design techniques I learned in Andrey Dubovik's online course, I made this assortment for a wedding:

Top row:  (1) cherry pâte de fruit and pistachio gianduja, (2) raspberry cream, (3) Earl Grey tea, (4) banana and passion fruit caramel.

Middle row: (1) layers of dark caramel, caramelized pecan gianduja, and shortbread, (2) layers of apricot pâte de fruit and caramelized almond gianduja, (3) lemon cream, (4) layers of dulce de leche and coffee ganache.

Bottom row: (1) crème brûlée, (2) caramel with sea salt, (3) layers of black currant ganache and crispy hazelnut gianduja, (4) apple caramel.

assortment.jpg.82274b401bf4dfc44a2ce566dc5037ca.jpg

One of the 200 gift boxes prepared as favors for the guests:

smallbox.jpg.301deac6df7a48edd315c13c4aee449f.jpg

And a photo of some of the boxes waiting for delivery to the hotel for the reception:

allboxes.jpg.ecc604d989685136746aed0277eccc0f.jpg

• Like 15

@Jim D., if the party favors can be used to predict the marriage, this one will be joyous. Well done, sir.

• Like 7

Host's note: this fine first post and gfron1's response were moved here from another topic.

Hi everyone, im new to this topic.

i am Nick from the netherlands, and started My company about a year ago.

here is Some of my latest work.

imageproxy.php?img=&key=d2a459cbdaa822ccimageproxy.php?img=&key=d2a459cbdaa822ccimageproxy.php?img=&key=d2a459cbdaa822cc

821391FF-3808-4673-BB24-D0D5E9D4D149.jpeg

1678B076-3C07-47E8-B01B-D469261B20B4.jpeg

6E1D392A-08DD-4962-BD2D-D04DB07FBC8E.jpeg

70D32CCB-FDC4-4D3A-86D4-863B99C2DEB8.jpeg

Edited by Smithy Added host's note (log)
  • Like 12

Welcome @Nickos! Nice work. As you start exploring the forum you'll find all sorts of chocolate topics that might be of interest, and certainly can benefit from your experience. Here are a few that we regularly revive:

Our showoff topic: Showroom

Early years learning; HERE

Trouble shooting: Backroom

Confections:  HERE

• Like 2

10 hours ago, gfron1 said:

Welcome @Nickos! Nice work. As you start exploring the forum you'll find all sorts of chocolate topics that might be of interest, and certainly can benefit from your experience. Here are a few that we regularly revive:

Our showoff topic: Showroom

Early years learning; HERE

Trouble shooting: Backroom

Confections:  HERE

Thanks!

And the chocolate making starts once more! Milk chocolate shells to make chocolate malteds & peanut butter & jelly bon bons.

IMG_5408-shelled-milk-chocolate.jpg.025be475c1f157ee7c396443e66dc7d4.jpg

• Like 6

Sounds delicious. What’s in a “chocolate malted”?

1 hour ago, sbain said:

Sounds delicious. What’s in a “chocolate malted”?

It is meant to taste like a chocolate malted, so one of the ingredients is malted milk powder.

• Like 2

November 2018 chocolates & confections
clockwise from the top left: fig & port, coffee, chocolate malted, pb & j
and in the center: cranberry-orange pâte de fruit

IMG_5494-flavors-lowres.jpg.3331792db3508b05c36eb94354ba3e4f.jpg

• Like 11

I like the gelatin molding material and I just use a sugar syrup instead of the expensive glycerin. I keep it wrapped up in the fridge andit doesn't spoil for months and you can reuse it over and over, but you lose some of the volume each time. For large things like a wine bottle or a sculpture it is the cheapest solution, although it usually comes out matte looking due to the moisture. I use it for things like this wrench that I brush cocoa powder on anyhow so the matte finish doesn't really matter.

I also decided to make a mold of a light fixture I found interesting and you can see that the bubbles created little barnacles. I had so much fun with this! 

43913571_253172302034923_3580893083113905059_n.jpg

Screen Shot 2018-11-20 at 1.31.26 PM.png

Screen Shot 2018-11-20 at 1.31.16 PM.png

Screen Shot 2018-11-20 at 1.31.30 PM.png

Screen Shot 2018-11-20 at 1.31.36 PM.png

Screen Shot 2018-11-20 at 1.31.03 PM.png

• Like 12

@keychris when I was selling them I added "beer nuts" to the back side for Father's Day. 

• Haha 2

Hi, guys, I´m new here. I discover this forum a few day ago and it's amazing.
I leave some of my recent work. 

P.S. Sorry for my bad english.

IMG_20181126_204546[1].jpg

• Like 6

Lovely work, @Alan_strt !   That shine is incredible.   Would you mind sharing what the flavors are? 

And, welcome!  

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, ChocoMom said:

Lovely work, @Alan_strt !   That shine is incredible.   Would you mind sharing what the flavors are? 

And, welcome!  

Thanks! Sure; the black one is filled with blackberry jam and white chocolate ganache, and the gold one with a mexican fruit called "zapote"

• Delicious 1

3 hours ago, Alan_strt said:

Hi, guys, I´m new here. I discover this forum a few day ago and it's amazing.
I leave some of my recent work. 

P.S. Sorry for my bad english.

welcome to the forum Alan, and your English seems good to me. What flavors are these?

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, gfron1 said:

welcome to the forum Alan, and your English seems good to me. What flavors are these?

Thanks! the black one is filled with blackberry jam and white chocolate ganache, and the gold one with a mexican fruit called "zapote amarillo" 

When I saw the weather forecast for this weekend, I was pretty sure things weren't going to end as well as they did - 38C on Friday, at midnight it was still 28C in my kitchen... Had to get creative! (I dragged my piece of stone into the lounge room and tempered on the floor in there as that's where the AC is!)

• Like 4

LOL I had to look at that a few times before it fell into place... I read it originally as "-38C," and I knew that just couldn't be right. :P

2 hours ago, keychris said:

When I saw the weather forecast for this weekend, I was pretty sure things weren't going to end as well as they did - 38C on Friday, at midnight it was still 28C in my kitchen... Had to get creative! (I dragged my piece of stone into the lounge room and tempered on the floor in there as that's where the AC is!)

Needs must!

IMG_4450.thumb.jpg.a023fc594dfd0596cf4312e3c3a730ff.jpg

Chocolate milk truffle filled with salted caramel, dipped in chocolate and covered with feuilletine

• Like 4

• Similar Content

• By JoNorvelleWalker
      The current issue of the NY Times Magazine is on candy.  Shamefully sinful.  I cannot unsee the images.

• By Pastrypastmidnight
      I want to put a soft marshmallow fluff into a bonbon. I’ve made this recipe lots of times for my s’mores macarons and it’s great but the recipe says it will only keep 2 weeks in the fridge (but it is actually fine much longer—at least no one in my family has died yet  ). 

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.chowhound.com/recipes/homemade-marshmallow-creme-30296/amp

Does anyone know of a soft marshmallow cream recipe I can pipe into a bonbon and leave at room temp for a couple of weeks? I know the commercial stuff will separate long before it goes bad (don’t ask  ).
    • By pastrygirl
      Who here hand dips chocolates, either with their actual hand, or with a fork?

I have a side job working with a woman who hand dips everything with her fingers in a puddle of chocolate on a sheet of parchment.  She's super fast at it, I tried it but it felt so messy and awkward.  I have done a little fork-dipping, so today dipped 300+ cookies with a fork and remembered why I hate fork dipping. 

So, anyone have any pointers, tricks,  or favorite dipping forks that don't make your hand go numb?  Today I used a dinner fork, I didn't have my actual chocolate dipping forks, but they have really thin metal handles that are hard to hold onto and horrible.  I need like the Good Grips version for people with arthritis and pastry chefs who have done too much piping ...
    • By artiesel
      I have Volumes 1 ,2 and 4 of Jean-Pierre Wybauw's Great Chocolate books are for sale.

The books are in great shape!  There is some tape on the corner of the front of volume 1 that I used to keep it together after a drop.  Volume 1 is also autographed by the author (See pics below).

I'm asking $150 for the lot OBO.

Let me know if interested or if you have questions

• By Sweet Impact Mama
      Pistachio paste (and connected loosely, gianduja)

Been studying through the giant book that is "Fine Chocolates Gold". It alternates between taking up a third of our dining room table and being a massive paper weight. 🤣 I'm trying to put together a plan for our fall/winter flavors and really want to work in more nuts and gianduja flavors. One of my customers wants more pistachio and another wants more hazelnut. 

First question: on Page 280, he has a recipe for "Pistachio Gianduja", which I thought meant making just straight gianduja with pistachios. But he puts in 4x the almonds as pistachios and then has you put in Pistachio Paste. What the what??? I thought that gianduja was what happens when you take nuts (turned into nut butter, essentially) and then added a certain percentage of chocolate to it (depending on the consistency you want). Then I researched pistachio paste. Does he mean the stuff from Italy or Turkey that has added milks and sugars or something else? Since he's a European chef, I'm assuming the first option... is that correct?

Then... he keeps having the ingredient "gianduja" in recipes, but doesn't specify which nut they are made from. He does the same with "praline" as an ingredient. If he says that, is there an assumed nut as the base sort of gianduja? When he says "x" amount of praline as an ingredient, does he mean caramelized sugar that has been blitzed in the food processor, so as to bring it to powder form?

Sorry - this sort of turned into a request for a mini class. 😏