• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create an account.

kriz6912

Confections! What did we make? (2017 – )

Posted (edited)

[Host's note: to ease the load on our servers this topic has been split.  The discussion continues from here.]

Chocolate nails...

_058. Chocolate Nails (C)_WM_400.jpg

And a "How it's made!" video...

Edited by lesliec Added host's note (log)
  • Like 10

@pastrygirl the description in the CW catalogue is " Re-usable jelly for mould making. "

• Like 1

10 hours ago, keychris said:

@pastrygirl the description in the CW catalogue is " Re-usable jelly for mould making. "

I'd love to see the label to see what it's made from. I make gelatine molds but they definitely get moldy after a while.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Kerry Beal said:

I'd love to see the label to see what it's made from. I make gelatine molds but they definitely get moldy after a while.

I did some searching for the casting/modling jelly the last time he posted something with the chocolate nails and had no luck. I did find a recipe for a DIY version but haven't tried it. It uses gelatin, water, glycerin, glucose and denatured alcohol.

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, Tri2Cook said:

I did some searching for the casting/modling jelly the last time he posted something with the chocolate nails and had no luck. I did find a recipe for a DIY version but haven't tried it. It uses gelatin, water, glycerin, glucose and denatured alcohol.

That would give it a longer shelf life - can you PM me the recipe and I'll give it a go?

Posted (edited)
28 minutes ago, Kerry Beal said:

That would give it a longer shelf life - can you PM me the recipe and I'll give it a go?

Here's the link to the page. Like I said, I haven't messed with it yet so I'm not even sure if it's the same thing as we're discussing here. Sounds like it might be similar though.

Edit: I just read through it again, been a while, and it looks like they forgot to mention adding the glucose listed in the ingredients during the instructions. I would assume it goes in during the heating though.

Edited by Tri2Cook (log)
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, Tri2Cook said:

Here's the link to the page. Like I said, I haven't messed with it yet so I'm not even sure if it's the same thing as we're discussing here. Sounds like it might be similar though.

Edit: I just read through it again, been a while, and it looks like they forgot to mention adding the glucose listed in the ingredients during the instructions. I would assume it goes in during the heating though.

Noticed they missed adding it.

• Like 1

Found about 220 grams of gelatine in the cupboard, added around 250 grams of water, melted it in the microwave after it had hydrated - added about 400 grams of glycerine that I had heated with around 50 grams of glucose. Coloured with a bit of waterbased colour and then added around 15 grams of 95% ETOH - didn't have any denatured so used natured.

IMG_3941.jpg

Tomorrow I'll see what I've got around here to make a mold from. 

• Like 4

Happy 2017!  Making fudge at the moment. It is very time consuming to cut, and I can't use my guitar cutter or my electronic guillotine as it just shatters. Anyone know a fast way to cut fudge? Tastes fine of course, this picture shows the Russian and the Chocolate varieties.

Fudge.JPG

• Like 3

14 hours ago, Kerry Beal said:

Found about 220 grams of gelatine in the cupboard, added around 250 grams of water, melted it in the microwave after it had hydrated - added about 400 grams of glycerine that I had heated with around 50 grams of glucose. Coloured with a bit of waterbased colour and then added around 15 grams of 95% ETOH - didn't have any denatured so used natured.

IMG_3941.jpg

Tomorrow I'll see what I've got around here to make a mold from. 

I look forward to seeing how this works out. I wanted to try it myself but kept putting off ordering the required glycerine. I thought I had some around here but if I do, I have no idea where I stashed it. Probably somewhere I knew I wouldn't forget...

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Stu Jordan said:

Happy 2017!  Making fudge at the moment. It is very time consuming to cut, and I can't use my guitar cutter or my electronic guillotine as it just shatters. Anyone know a fast way to cut fudge? Tastes fine of course, this picture shows the Russian and the Chocolate varieties.

Just score it with a sharp knife or Stanley cutter before it sets in the pan then when it is properly set, just snap the blocks off.

• Like 3

10 hours ago, Stu Jordan said:

Fudge.JPG

Electronic guillotine? Tell us more.

2 hours ago, Tri2Cook said:

I look forward to seeing how this works out. I wanted to try it myself but kept putting off ordering the required glycerine. I thought I had some around here but if I do, I have no idea where I stashed it. Probably somewhere I knew I wouldn't forget...

I had a huge bottle that I probably bought from a pharmacy to make hand lotion a number of years ago. I use about 10 ml of it every month or so to make a mixture with witch hazel.  

IMG_3943.jpg

Here's what I found to mold

IMG_3944.jpg

A little in the bottom allowed to set

IMG_3947.jpg

Stuff him in - bang for bubbles

IMG_3948.jpg

Take him back out

IMG_3949.jpg

IMG_3950.jpg

I'm in here!

IMG_3952.jpg

Too soon! Good insulator.

IMG_3955.jpg

I'm still in here!

IMG_3957.jpg

Now I'm out!

• Like 14

I'm convinced... gonna have to search for the glycerine I thought I had. If I don't have it, ordering shall be done.

I think that degassing in the chamber vac is helpful / tiny bubbles are an issue 

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Tri2Cook said:

I'm convinced... gonna have to search for the glycerine I thought I had. If I don't have it, ordering shall be done.

Shipping is dear from Amazon.ca - bet pharmacy can order it for you much cheaper 

Posted (edited)
9 minutes ago, Kerry Beal said:

Shipping is dear from Amazon.ca - bet pharmacy can order it for you much cheaper 

I was looking here.

Not in a hurry anyway, just something to keep in mind for the future. I have enough chocolate stuff to concentrate on getting better at right now with the toys I already have. :D

Edited by Tri2Cook (log)
  • Like 1

I made Rachel Khong's 2-minute chocolate microwave mug cakes. They're pretty good! I used decent chocolate (callebaut 70% and cluizel cocoa) and substituted melted butter for half the oil. 

This time I served them in the mugs (when I tried de-mugging, the results were unaesthetic in a fecal sort of way). This is a good one to have in your trick bag.

• Like 3

11 minutes ago, paulraphael said:

I made Rachel Khong's 2-minute chocolate microwave mug cakes. They're pretty good! I used decent chocolate (callebaut 70% and cluizel cocoa) and substituted melted butter for half the oil. 

This time I served them in the mugs (when I tried de-mugging, the results were unaesthetic in a fecal sort of way). This is a good one to have in your trick bag.

I'm betting you've done the microwave cakes using a cream whipper, how does the texture of this method compare? I like the whipper microwave cakes but this eliminates the need for and cleaning of the whipper. I don't doubt this is good or you wouldn't have posted it, just wondering what the texture is like.

Kerry, thanks a lot for trying and reporting!

Teo

• Like 1

On 1/6/2017 at 6:40 AM, kriz6912 said:

Does anyone know if this product - the food jelly for moulds - is available in the US? It's just a food grade silicon mold making kit, and I'm sure Chicago School of Mold Making has one, but last I checked it was super expensive. Would love another option.

• Similar Content

• By jedovaty
      Hi:

I'm making some homemade peanut butter cups, but shaping them like bon bons instead.  I don't have bon bon molds, so instead I'm dipping the peanut butter centers into tempered chocolate.  As the chocolate coating sets, it contracts and my soft peanut butter center squirts out a little.  Is there a way to prevent this, or do I need to do a second dipping?  I've tried with both frozen and room temp centers (although peanut butter with a little vanilla, salt, and powdered sugar doesn't seem to freeze at all).
    • By Kerry Beal
      It's that time again - I'm the group leader for a group of newly minted Ecole Chocolat grads taking a masters course. This one is in Wieze, Belgium. You may recall my last trip as group leader for Ecole when I took a group to Valrhona in France.

I got my packing done on Sunday - was all prepared, car was to pick me up at 6 pm to drive me to the airport. Got a little suspicious when the child was late getting off the bus from school - the driver said that the highway wasn't moving well. At about 5:15 I got a call from the limo service to say that the car that was coming to get me had moved 2 car lengths in the last 30 minutes. Apparently a car roll over on the westbound lanes of highway had ejected two people into the eastbound lanes and the entire highway was closed in both directions.

So I set out in my own vehicle - which of course had no gas, and needed oil... at least the toll highway got me past the problem.  Airport wants $175/week to park - so a quick text to @Alleguede and he came to fetch my car from the airport to park in his driveway until I return.

So here I sit in the lounge awaiting my departure.

I'm doing the Jet Lag program that I have done several times before that has worked well for me. Overcoming Jet Lag, by Charles F. Ehret and Lynne Waller Scanlon. This involves food and caffeine modification. So for the past 4 days I've been drinking Rooibos Provence throughout the day and between 3 and 4:30 slugging down as much real tea as my bladder can handle! The dietary part consists of alternating days of 'feasting' and 'fasting' with high protein breakfasts and lunches and high carb dinners. I had planned to get the driver to stop at the Tim Horton's at the top of my street to pick up the black coffee that is to be taken at around 6 pm the day of travel - unfortunately as I was driving myself that didn't happen - so when I hit the lounge I drank down two cups of strong black caffeinated coffee - better late than never. I'm not much of a coffee drinker - and particularly not black. Should be good for some palpitations when I start the next part of the program which is to sleep as soon as I get on the plane!

This is a 'fasting day', 800 calories suggested - I left my carb meal until I reached the lounge.

]

One of the two cups of coffee.

These are the "Gentlemen Retire to the Library' chocolates that I posted before that I am taking along - port wine PDF and tobacco ganache. I used Sosa tobacco flavouring this time instead of a cigar so I don't have to concern myself with nicotine poisoning.

• By pastrygirl
      I'm watching The Sweet Makers on BBC - four British pastry chefs & confectioners recreate Tudor, Georgian, and Victorian sweets with petiod ingredients and equipment. A little British Baking Show, a little Downtown Abbey. 

Check it it out for a slice of pastry history. 

BBC viewer only available to the U.K., but on this side of the pond where there's a will, there's a way. 
    • By boombonniewhale
      Hello! I was wondering if anyone on here has tried using an induction cooktop with confection making (caramels, fondant, marshmallows ect...). My stove has literally three settings, and the low setting still burns sugar and there is no such thing as maintaining any sort of "simmer". I was looking into getting a cooktop and buying some copper sugar pots and mauviel makes this thing that goes inbetween. I would love to hear any input into this idea or your experiences!

~Sarah
    • By ChocoMom
      Greetings all! 
      Quick question ...Has anyone used confectionery coating in ganache, and been successful?   I'd normally not do this, but I have a very dear friend who is allergic to chocolate. Her son is graduating from high school, and she hired me to do chocolates.   We'd all like for her to enjoy something from the selections at the reception.  The only pieces I can do for her without any chocolate derivatives is of the white chocolate variety.  So, white confectionery coating is the only alternative I can find to sub in. 

Now, with the actual chocolates, I did a butter ganache with white chocolate, mango puree and coconut. (Tastes amazing, btw.)   If I do the same method with the softened butter, glucose; then mix in melted confectionery coating, will it harden up when I add the puree, or stay soft?   I tend to think it would be okay, but I absolute hate the idea of wasting that puree.  So, thought it best to ask here and see if this a disaster in the making- or a decent alternative...
      Thank you for any help and advice you're able to lend.  As always, your expertise is very much appreciated! 
      Andrea