• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Confections! What did we make? (2017 – )

kriz6912

• 2 weeks later...
11 hours ago, Chocoguyin Pemby said:

How do you keep your molds so clean - i need help with this 

Thank you! There is always more that you can do to work clean... trust me, some days are better than others. A lot of it is practice and examining your workflow to figure out where you can do things better. Whenever you take a class or work with someone who you are impressed with see if you can figure out why what they are doing works so well and try to incorporate those techniques in you work.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Chocoguyin Pemby said:

Hi all - I love orange flavoured chocolate bars and would like to make some - what does everyone recommend to use as an additive for the orange flavour - Amoretti?  LorAnn?  Nielsen Massey?  TIA

David

I'd want to use some type of orange inclusion like candied zest or slices or something along that line just for the textural fun if I were doing it but if you're wanting to avoid that, a pure orange oil is probably what you're going to need for a solid chocolate bar. You won't be able to use extracts like the one you linked, they contain water. I've seen freeze dried orange and mandarin pieces online that would probably make a really nice inclusion but not where I could get them and any freeze dried fruit tends to be pretty costly.

• Like 1

It's kinda like wrestling a gorilla... you don't stop when you're tired, you stop when the gorilla is tired.

3 hours ago, Chocoguyin Pemby said:

Hi all - I love orange flavoured chocolate bars and would like to make some - what does everyone recommend to use as an additive for the orange flavour - Amoretti?  LorAnn?  Nielsen Massey?  TIA

David

As Tri2Cook stated, it must be oil-based flavoring. Although I have not tried them, the Boyajian oils get fantastic reviews; the company is famous for its flavors. Here is a link to the orange oil.

• Like 1

Heres some gummies I finished recently. In the Meltaways topic, I had linked the Silikomart Micro molds, I ordered one of each shape that would work for me, and heres the resulting gummies. The Silikomart Micro molds I used were Mirco Gem, Micro Love, Micro Round, and Micro Oval.

For me, gummies are always a popular item, and these forms provide such a  perfect size, especially the hearts. I havent found a silicone heart mold as attractive as these, so more are on my list for sure. The other shapes work well, in the long run, I can tell that the hearts and round shapes are going to work for gummies, they'll look nice with a colored assortment. For comparison, I put the shapes up against what I normally use for domes. The micro's are a touch smaller, which does make for a bit more labor, but look fantastic.

And lastly, there was a recent topic on chefstep gummies recipe. In the recipe they recommend dusting your silicone molds with starch before depositing, however, I've just never had much success doing do. You can see in the third picture, the gummies lined up on top had cornstarch sifted into the molds and shaken out, and the ones on the bottom, no starch in the molds. I'm not sure why the bubbles appear on the surface of the gummies when the mold has cornstarch in it, this is something I realized years ago, and that chefsteps recipe made me want to try it again, so just a small observation.

2019-03-14 14.20.28.jpg

2019-03-14 14.39.24.jpg

2019-03-14 14.38.00.jpg

• Like 8

6 hours ago, Chocoguyin Pemby said:

David

Just depends on what you're going for.  I make a bar with the candied zest of fresh oranges sprinkled in.  I also have a seasonal (Christmas) item for which i use LorAnn pure orange oil.  (The tangerine is also nice)

2 hours ago, pastrygirl said:

Just depends on what you're going for.  I make a bar with the candied zest of fresh oranges sprinkled in.  I also have a seasonal (Christmas) item for which i use LorAnn pure orange oil.  (The tangerine is also nice)

Thank you all - I love how everyone is so sharing of information - I am looking for something similar to you know I am not even sure now you are making me think to hard - my original thought was similar to a cadburys orange bar but I love the inclusions - I want to dip into the cbd market and I think I should keep it simple?  I have learned that the addition needs to be oil based so thank you for that.  I think it's going to be a trial and error process  - who is the user and what are they looking for?  Thanks all!!

• Like 1

12 hours ago, minas6907 said:

The Silikomart Micro molds I used were Mirco Gem, Micro Love, Micro Round, and Micro Oval.

They should make Micro Clubs, Micro Diamonds, Micro Hearts and Micro Spades. Vegas confectioners would be happy! Big sales for sure!

12 hours ago, minas6907 said:

And lastly, there was a recent topic on chefstep gummies recipe. In the recipe they recommend dusting your silicone molds with starch before depositing, however, I've just never had much success doing do. You can see in the third picture, the gummies lined up on top had cornstarch sifted into the molds and shaken out, and the ones on the bottom, no starch in the molds. I'm not sure why the bubbles appear on the surface of the gummies when the mold has cornstarch in it, this is something I realized years ago, and that chefsteps recipe made me want to try it again, so just a small observation.

I'm pretty sure starch affects gel nucleation, that should be the cause of the bubble formation.

Teo

• Like 1

Teo

9 hours ago, Chocoguyin Pemby said:

I have learned that the addition needs to be oil based so thank you for that.

If you never used essential oils, then beware that a single drop goes a long way: add a single drop to the chocolate, mix and check taste. Don't try to put drops of pure essential oils in your mouth, you risk serious health damages (even your life).

Teo

• Like 1

Teo

• 1 month later...

Ruby, the pinkopotamus, has been re-homed.

427ECF30-BD10-43EC-9425-778A22C9B0B0.thumb.jpeg.66872a5c7f6ee03910659a3b6f97e879.jpeg

Edited by Anna N
Comma (log)
  • Like 5
  • Haha 2

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

3 hours ago, sbain said:

Trying a whole new style: “open face bonbons”! (These were inspired by the geniuses over at Bonbonbon Chocolates). 

wow i love the concept - it gives a whole new way to interpret a bonbonbon bada boom!!!   Not for everyone or every occasion but i could see myself incorperating this in a number of different ways?  I don't have a shop  and i can't see a long shelf life for this type of product but it has a unique place.  Thanks for sharing.

• Like 1

OK guys, I'd like some opinions, and I ask you to be merciless here.

This is the first time I've made filled chocolates, and i'm overall happy with them. I didn't use any of the polycarbonate molds I had, but cheaper plastic ones, as I couldn't find any egg shaped molds that would make it here in time for Easter. They're milk chocolate (as these are for a 2 and 5 year old's Easter baskets), and the filling is a strawberry White Chocolate Ganache made by sitting the cream and diced Strawberries in a bowl together overnight, before sifting them out and mixing them with the white chocolate, and colored with a little bit of pink candy coloring.

IMG_0086.jpg

• Like 2

28 minutes ago, Matthew.Taylor said:

I ask you to be merciless here

You asked for merciless, so here it is... I wouldn't have sieved the berries out of the cream, I would have pureed them into it then sieved to get rid of some of the seeds (unless you want the texture, which I assume you do not since you sieved out the entire berries).

Also: don't let anybody make you feel the need for disclaimers when not using dark chocolate. There's nothing wrong with milk or white chocolate. Some people don't like either and that's fine but that's on them, not the chocolate.

Otherwise, nice job! Hope you had fun and look forward to doing more filled chocolates.

• Like 2

It's kinda like wrestling a gorilla... you don't stop when you're tired, you stop when the gorilla is tired.

4 hours ago, Tri2Cook said:

You asked for merciless, so here it is... I wouldn't have sieved the berries out of the cream, I would have pureed them into it then sieved to get rid of some of the seeds (unless you want the texture, which I assume you do not since you sieved out the entire berries).

Also: don't let anybody make you feel the need for disclaimers when not using dark chocolate. There's nothing wrong with milk or white chocolate. Some people don't like either and that's fine but that's on them, not the chocolate.

Otherwise, nice job! Hope you had fun and look forward to doing more filled chocolates.

Thanks for the honesty. Truthfully, I got some surprisingly good taste from the ganache. Diced Strawberries and cream overnight, and then sieved out seemed to work pretty well, but you're idea is interesting too, but wouldn't that put too much liquid in the ganache?

• Like 1