• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Confections! What did we make? (2017 – )

kriz6912

25 minutes ago, Chocoguyin Pemby said:

So I visited with my sister this past weekend and made some chocolates with my nieces -  salted caramel and peanut butter, solid chocolate lotus and coconut cream.  This difference in the red heart shaped one is one is backed with white.  Practicing for valentines this year.  I want to offer a 5 pack of flavours - i was thinking baileys, red hot cinnamon,  salted caramel, hazelnut praline and ???  any suggestions?  

Passionfruit? Something bright and kind of acidic to complement all those sweeter flavors.

• Like 1

Patty

Loving my new small square molds. Nice and thin so only a small layer of filling, so I went with something stronga meyer lemon and fresh mint in a white chocolate ganache (from Greweling, but I pumped up the flavors a bit).

IMG_1860.jpg

• Like 6

@sbain, I like that recipe very much. I add more lemon and extra mint. I like the mold very much. Can you identify it (manufacturer, mold no.)? And, for my final "like," I like the colors you chose for decoration, reflecting what's inside. I try to do that whenever possible, but then that would eliminate blue entirely, so I am not strict about it.

• Like 1

Thanks. That recipe is a favorite of mine too, but it definitely needs more lemon and mint, especially when using only a small quantity as I did (maybe in a big truffle its fine?).

The mold I used was a Martellato 30mmx30mm (https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B06Y59SY1M/ref=oh_aui_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1)

everyone loves it (I should probably buy a few more).

And glad you like my colors. I don't own a airbrush, so splattering with a toothbrush is my preferred/only technique at this point :)

Thanks again for the encouragement!

31 minutes ago, sbain said:

The mold I used was a Martellato 30mmx30mm (https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B06Y59SY1M/ref=oh_aui_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1)

everyone loves it (I should probably buy a few more).

In case anyone else needs gram information (how many grams a piece made in the mold will weigh--which is, in my opinion, a ridiculous way to identify molds, I think volume would make more sense--but it is the way things are) Amazon doesn't include that info, but I checked and each cavity makes an 8g piece.

On 12/15/2018 at 4:41 PM, trisme11 said:

IMG_4450.thumb.jpg.a023fc594dfd0596cf4312e3c3a730ff.jpg

Chocolate milk truffle filled with salted caramel, dipped in chocolate and covered with feuilletine

I love the look of these, I haven tried anything with feuilletine, that's been on my list for a long time.

Can someone chime in, when it comes to feuilletine in their work, is this something that you typically purchase, or do you produce it? I know it can be either way, just as with gianduja, but I wanted to know what everyone was doing. Any reliable formulas to share? I dont recall any recipes in the books by Greweling, Notter, or Wybauw. From what I gather it seems like it just a crushed up tuile or wafer cookie, albeit given a darker color. Anyways, just wondering, thank you!

18 minutes ago, minas6907 said:

when it comes to feuilletine in their work, is this something that you typically purchase, or do you produce it?

I buy it!  The 2.5kg/5.5 lb box from cacao barry is around $35-40 ish.

49 minutes ago, minas6907 said:

I love the look of these, I haven tried anything with feuilletine, that's been on my list for a long time.

Can someone chime in, when it comes to feuilletine in their work, is this something that you typically purchase, or do you produce it? I know it can be either way, just as with gianduja, but I wanted to know what everyone was doing. Any reliable formulas to share? I dont recall any recipes in the books by Greweling, Notter, or Wybauw. From what I gather it seems like it just a crushed up tuile or wafer cookie, albeit given a darker color. Anyways, just wondering, thank you!

PM'd you the recipe we used for the workshop.

1 hour ago, minas6907 said:

when it comes to feuilletine in their work, is this something that you typically purchase, or do you produce it?

I make mine by beating equal quantities of egg, flour, butter & pure icing sugar then spreading super-thin and baking until nice and golden crispy. I only make it because when I buy it it goes stale before I've used it all.

Just now, keychris said:

I make mine by beating equal quantities of egg, flour, butter & pure icing sugar then spreading super-thin and baking until nice and golden crispy. I only make it because when I buy it it goes stale before I've used it all.

Out of my own curiosity, how fast does it go stale after you make it? Would you ever give it a light toast to crisp it up again, or would it just not be worth it?

The other reason I'm interested in feuilletine is because it look so much like those wafer stick cookies with the filling. I grew up on those things, I have fond memories of my European grandparents always having a metal can of those things on the counter, similar to these:

https://www.amazon.com/Creme-Pirouline-Choc-Hazelnut-Cookies-32/dp/B001GE6ZDU/ref=sr_1_3_a_it?ie=UTF8&qid=1548720102&sr=8-3&keywords=wafer%2Bsticks&th=1

Is this all those cookies are?

Anyways, I look forward to making some of the feuilletine, I love how it looks on the bonbons.

1 minute ago, minas6907 said:

The other reason I'm interested in feuilletine is because it look so much like those wafer stick cookies with the filling. I grew up on those things, I have fond memories of my European grandparents always having a metal can of those things on the counter, similar to these:

https://www.amazon.com/Creme-Pirouline-Choc-Hazelnut-Cookies-32/dp/B001GE6ZDU/ref=sr_1_3_a_it?ie=UTF8&qid=1548720102&sr=8-3&keywords=wafer%2Bsticks&th=1

Is this all those cookies are?

Pretty much!

Heres my annual cache of items I've been able to do since the last time I posted. Theres also a few baked items that snuck in there.

Almond Nougat, hand whipped from Wybauws Find Chocolates Gold

Same nougat enrobed. I microplaned white cocoa butter over the enrobed pieces, didnt end up looking how I imagined. Perhaps it would be a better look if there were more colors, like a confetti.

Coffee Truffle

Biscotti

Apple and Peach Gummies

Coconut Macaroon

Prickly Pear Pate de Fruit

Sample Bonbons. Prickly Pear/Lemon Bonbon, and Chai Spice Caramel.

Sample Boxes for Bride and Groom

Pumpkin Pie (Home Grown)

Honey Lavender Caramels from Wybauws Find Chocolates Gold

Final Heart Wedding Bonbons (requested only luster, no colored cocoa butter)

Final Caramel Wedding Bonbons

Bonbon Favors

Making Transfer Sheets (banana caramel)

Caramel Truffle

2018-04-15 09.17.59.jpg

2018-04-15 11.28.50.jpg

2018-04-15 11.36.14.jpg

2018-05-03 15.09.18.jpg

2018-09-07 16.02.45.jpg

2018-09-09 18.09.45.jpg

2018-10-17 08.26.39.jpg

2018-10-17 17.09.31.jpg

2018-10-17 17.14.21.jpg

2018-10-23 08.52.04.jpg

2018-11-07 14.32.21.jpg

2019-01-02 14.35.59.jpg

2019-01-02 14.36.36.jpg

2019-01-02 15.37.42.jpg

2019-01-18 14.13.29.jpg

2019-01-25 17.12.07.jpg

• Like 9

Wow! what a great collection of confections. In particular, I am intrigued by your prickly pear pate de fruit. I've never made pate de fruit and would like to try it. and assuming that's what you incorporated into your lemon ganache bon bons? how's they come out?

Nice work!

1 hour ago, sbain said:

Wow! what a great collection of confections. In particular, I am intrigued by your prickly pear pate de fruit. I've never made pate de fruit and would like to try it. and assuming that's what you incorporated into your lemon ganache bon bons? how's they come out?

Nice work!

Thank you so much! I enjoyed the pate de fruit by itself, but realistically it got lost in the lemon ganache. The final bonbon for the wedding had the pate de fruit omitted. 

Definitely have a go at making the jellies. You might have some failed attempts, but they are very versatile as a candy itself, inside of a bonbon, or a component of a dessert, give it a try!

Hi - can anyone recommend a good book about chocolate and making bonbons etc - sort of a bible type reference - looking to improve my skills and taking a course is not an option due to my location.   Is this a good starting point - it is pretty expensive but cheaper than a course.  TIA

Fine Chocolates: Gold

Jean-Pierre Wybauw, photography Serdar Tanyeli

16 minutes ago, Chocoguyin Pemby said:

Hi - can anyone recommend a good book about chocolate and making bonbons etc - sort of a bible type reference - looking to improve my skills and taking a course is not an option due to my location.   Is this a good starting point - it is pretty expensive but cheaper than a course.  TIA

Fine Chocolates: Gold

Jean-Pierre Wybauw, photography Serdar Tanyeli

As virtually everyone on this forum will say:  The "bible" is Peter Greweling's Chocolates and Confections. I also like Ewald Notter's The Art of the Chocolatier for its useful recipes. And Wybauw's book has the most recipes of anyone.

• Like 2

22 hours ago, Jim D. said:

As virtually everyone on this forum will say:  The "bible" is Peter Greweling's Chocolates and Confections. I also like Ewald Notter's The Art of the Chocolatier for its useful recipes. And Wybauw's book has the most recipes of anyone.

Great thanks for the info - I will look for a copy of that book.

On 12/28/2018 at 4:52 PM, Nickos said:

looks good! do you mind to share your recipe

Sorry I haven't been on in a while. I used premade milk chocolate truffle shells. The caramel was just a goats milk caramel I had on hand from a recent trip, then I dipped it in a Callebaut milk chocolate and rolled it around in feuilletine. It's one of my go to quick bonbons for when I want to gift some chocolates.

On 1/31/2019 at 8:50 PM, Pastrypastmidnight said:

Some recent experiments from me :) .

Yuzu Caramel (first time making anything with yuzu)

19673A04-AA4B-47FC-89DD-BD3BB95AD428.thumb.jpeg.46172fc3bd930f1bc886bc335a455a74.jpeg164A5B38-DEE7-402E-87FB-FBE20C1A842A.thumb.jpeg.60778540090f78c3ec64713213e42acf.jpeg

Cara Cara Cardamom

8FFB109E-0C20-40E7-A99A-EFB2261DC0DA.thumb.jpeg.46188d51288f7f406bbaac4621796b21.jpeg146B56A1-D2E9-4835-A305-9F6EC66F2E6B.thumb.jpeg.5d95504af21e45ba6b1f7e5acbebf718.jpeg

Hazelnut Praline with a caramelized hazelnut

611F6F76-5292-4070-A857-742CFB5DF89B.thumb.jpeg.85b723d693557da24a6d61aec9c9aa0c.jpeg19D21D38-FFD2-476D-B4E6-BBF72FB6BA13.thumb.jpeg.898f9621a84dd893c79ecea635723bb2.jpeg

They all tasted amazing (especially the hazelnut)! Usually I don’t have a problem not eating everything I make, but I’m struggling guys ;). 

So do you mind sharing what is your photography setup is like? Indoor lights? Windows? I am beyond jealous!  Gorgeous photos!

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, trisme11 said:

So do you mind sharing what is your photography setup is like? Indoor lights? Windows? I am beyond jealous!  Gorgeous photos!

21 minutes ago, trisme11 said:

These ones were all natural light with the light source behind and slightly to the side. I used a reflector on most to bounce the light back. 

• Like 1

695855290_sxd4rwlSZmtmFosNvojUw.thumb.jpg.458ddcf0ed13213bf73694bbdf2f6c97.jpg

This is certainly not a great confection, but my reason for posting is:). I found myself today needing a quick treat to take to some nurses. I decided to just make some krackle bar. I had both dark and milk melted, but neither in temper. I prefer milk with my rice krispies, so I opted for milk chocolate. The melted chocolate had been sitting in my melter for several weeks, at about 95. I poured out about 3 pounds, and checked temp. It was 96. I stirred gently for a minute until it was at 93. This was somewhat thick, chocolate that probably had all kinds of wild CB crystals in it. I added about 2 teaspoons of EZ Temper silk and stirred it in. Added Rice Krispies and poured out and spread thin. I am amazed that this is the temper I got! The nurses were crazy about it. No point in wasting my good bon bons when they are happy with this:). My point? I think the EZ Temper is changing the tempering rules. I never would have thought I could get this kind of shine out of "old" chocolate that was literally just sitting there for weeks. Anyone else have this experience? Thanks, Kerry for your wonderful little machine.

• Like 9

Ruth Kendrick

Chocolot
Artisan Chocolates and Toffees
www.chocolot.com