• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Confections! What did we make? (2017 – )

kriz6912

48 minutes ago, Jamal12 said:

Arab oud perfume bottle chocolate. This is a test of how it would look like, made in a homemade gelatine / glycerin mold 

IMG_20180725_230253[1].jpg

Somewhere in my collection of polycarbonate molds I have one that makes 4 or 5 little perfume bottles. They are quite elaborate I recall.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

Using many of the design techniques I learned in Andrey Dubovik's online course, I made this assortment for a wedding:

Top row:  (1) cherry pâte de fruit and pistachio gianduja, (2) raspberry cream, (3) Earl Grey tea, (4) banana and passion fruit caramel.

Middle row: (1) layers of dark caramel, caramelized pecan gianduja, and shortbread, (2) layers of apricot pâte de fruit and caramelized almond gianduja, (3) lemon cream, (4) layers of dulce de leche and coffee ganache.

Bottom row: (1) crème brûlée, (2) caramel with sea salt, (3) layers of black currant ganache and crispy hazelnut gianduja, (4) apple caramel.

assortment.jpg.82274b401bf4dfc44a2ce566dc5037ca.jpg

One of the 200 gift boxes prepared as favors for the guests:

smallbox.jpg.301deac6df7a48edd315c13c4aee449f.jpg

And a photo of some of the boxes waiting for delivery to the hotel for the reception:

allboxes.jpg.ecc604d989685136746aed0277eccc0f.jpg

• Like 16

@Jim D., if the party favors can be used to predict the marriage, this one will be joyous. Well done, sir.

• Like 7

Nancy Smith, aka "Smithy"
HosteG Forumsnsmith@egstaff.org

Follow us on social media! Facebook; instagram.com/egulletx; twitter.com/egullet

"Every day should be filled with something delicious, because life is too short not to spoil yourself. " -- Ling (with permission)
"There comes a time in every project when you have to shoot the engineer and start production." -- author unknown

• 1 month later...

Host's note: this fine first post and gfron1's response were moved here from another topic.

Hi everyone, im new to this topic.

i am Nick from the netherlands, and started My company about a year ago.

here is Some of my latest work.

imageproxy.php?img=&key=d2a459cbdaa822ccimageproxy.php?img=&key=d2a459cbdaa822ccimageproxy.php?img=&key=d2a459cbdaa822cc

821391FF-3808-4673-BB24-D0D5E9D4D149.jpeg

1678B076-3C07-47E8-B01B-D469261B20B4.jpeg

6E1D392A-08DD-4962-BD2D-D04DB07FBC8E.jpeg

70D32CCB-FDC4-4D3A-86D4-863B99C2DEB8.jpeg

Edited by Smithy
Added host's note (log)
  • Like 14

Welcome @Nickos! Nice work. As you start exploring the forum you'll find all sorts of chocolate topics that might be of interest, and certainly can benefit from your experience. Here are a few that we regularly revive:

Our showoff topic: Showroom

Early years learning; HERE

Trouble shooting: Backroom

Confections:  HERE

• Like 2

10 hours ago, gfron1 said:

Welcome @Nickos! Nice work. As you start exploring the forum you'll find all sorts of chocolate topics that might be of interest, and certainly can benefit from your experience. Here are a few that we regularly revive:

Our showoff topic: Showroom

Early years learning; HERE

Trouble shooting: Backroom

Confections:  HERE

Thanks!

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I like the gelatin molding material and I just use a sugar syrup instead of the expensive glycerin. I keep it wrapped up in the fridge andit doesn't spoil for months and you can reuse it over and over, but you lose some of the volume each time. For large things like a wine bottle or a sculpture it is the cheapest solution, although it usually comes out matte looking due to the moisture. I use it for things like this wrench that I brush cocoa powder on anyhow so the matte finish doesn't really matter.

I also decided to make a mold of a light fixture I found interesting and you can see that the bubbles created little barnacles. I had so much fun with this! 

43913571_253172302034923_3580893083113905059_n.jpg

Screen Shot 2018-11-20 at 1.31.26 PM.png

Screen Shot 2018-11-20 at 1.31.16 PM.png

Screen Shot 2018-11-20 at 1.31.30 PM.png

Screen Shot 2018-11-20 at 1.31.36 PM.png

Screen Shot 2018-11-20 at 1.31.03 PM.png

• Like 13

• 3 weeks later...
48 minutes ago, ChocoMom said:

Lovely work, @Alan_strt !   That shine is incredible.   Would you mind sharing what the flavors are? 

And, welcome!  

Thanks! Sure; the black one is filled with blackberry jam and white chocolate ganache, and the gold one with a mexican fruit called "zapote"

• Like 1
  • Delicious 1

3 hours ago, Alan_strt said:

Hi, guys, I´m new here. I discover this forum a few day ago and it's amazing.
I leave some of my recent work. 

P.S. Sorry for my bad english.

welcome to the forum Alan, and your English seems good to me. What flavors are these?

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, gfron1 said:

welcome to the forum Alan, and your English seems good to me. What flavors are these?

Thanks! the black one is filled with blackberry jam and white chocolate ganache, and the gold one with a mexican fruit called "zapote amarillo" 

When I saw the weather forecast for this weekend, I was pretty sure things weren't going to end as well as they did: 38C on Friday, at midnight it was still 28C in my kitchen... Had to get creative! (I dragged my piece of stone into the lounge room and tempered on the floor in there as that's where the AC is!)

Edited by keychris
clarify a - to a : (log)
  • Like 5

LOL I had to look at that a few times before it fell into place... I read it originally as "-38C," and I knew that just couldn't be right. :P

“Who loves a garden, loves a greenhouse too.” - William Cowper, The Task, Book Three

"Not knowing the scope of your own ignorance is part of the human condition...The first rule of the Dunning-Kruger club is you don’t know you’re a member of the Dunning-Kruger club.” - psychologist David Dunning

2 hours ago, keychris said:

When I saw the weather forecast for this weekend, I was pretty sure things weren't going to end as well as they did - 38C on Friday, at midnight it was still 28C in my kitchen... Had to get creative! (I dragged my piece of stone into the lounge room and tempered on the floor in there as that's where the AC is!)

Needs must!

On ‎12‎/‎9‎/‎2018 at 7:21 AM, chromedome said:

LOL I had to look at that a few times before it fell into place... I read it originally as "-38C," and I knew that just couldn't be right. :P

I read it the same way, only I'm apparently less alert this morning because it didn't fall into place for me until I read your post and it got nudged into place... :D

It's kinda like wrestling a gorilla... you don't stop when you're tired, you stop when the gorilla is tired.