• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Confections! What did we make? (2017 – )

kriz6912

Hello all, heres the latest from my little kitchen.

Spearmint and Peppermint Berlingots

Peppermint Sticks

Peppermint Pops

Caramel Lips

Peanut Butter and Raspberry Jam Bonbon

Assorted Taffy

Progression of Panned Almonds

Panned Almonds

Gummy Rings (Pear and Pineapple)

Marshmallow

More Panned Almonds

Coconut Bonbon

Peppermint Patty

Espresso Hearts

Various Pics from a recent Wedding

2017-10-28 16.55.41.jpg

2017-10-28 16.56.47.jpg

2017-10-28 16.59.11.jpg

2017-11-04 12.42.42.jpg

2017-11-04 12.50.52.jpg

2017-11-27 15.20.38.jpg

2017-12-21 12.36.45.jpg

2017-12-21 13.17.17.jpg

2018-01-06 10.11.51.jpg

2018-01-06 10.14.37.jpg

2018-01-06 10.15.43.jpg

2018-01-06 10.17.33.jpg

2018-01-06 10.17.54.jpg

2018-01-06 10.19.18.jpg

2018-01-06 10.20.16.jpg

2018-01-06 10.21.17.jpg

2018-01-06 12.40.53.jpg

2018-01-06 12.41.13.jpg

2018-01-06 12.41.19.jpg

2018-01-06 12.41.42.jpg

2018-01-06 12.42.50.jpg

• Like 23
  • Thanks 1

Valentine's bonbons:

IMG_7238.thumb.JPG.2a2e5117dba29ec4072a502e0bf98c0c.JPG

salty caramel, hazelnut, raspberry

rosemary caramel, milk & cookies, dark chocolate caramel

maple & salted almond, coconut-rum, passion fruit.

and truffle-filled hearts.  these are about 3", 4 oz

dark salty caramel and milk chocolate peanut butter crisp

IMG_7254.thumb.JPG.3ddeebf6781e9c0975ed3c5b47741d96.JPGIMG_7265.thumb.JPG.d17667ee4fb28344f73598d1169402bb.JPG

• Like 15

This was a last minute thing, and I've been working like crazy to get some items done. Got an invite to a Valentine themed craft show/mead tasting thing at a local meadery tomorrow (Sat. Feb10)  Completed roughly 1K in product, so I am hoping it goes well. Here is the 6 pc valentine box....flavors are chocolate mint (heart), Key Lime (white chocolate heart) ,Sea Salt caramel, the yellow splatter one is a layer of caramel and a layer of fluffernutter,  the funky white and purple is Lavender - Lemon,  the orange-yellow one is Mango Lemon.   

IMG_2327.JPG

• Like 8

-Andrea

A 'balanced diet' means chocolate in BOTH hands. :biggrin:

On 2/9/2018 at 5:37 PM, pastrygirl said:

Valentine's bonbons:

IMG_7238.thumb.JPG.2a2e5117dba29ec4072a502e0bf98c0c.JPG

salty caramel, hazelnut, raspberry

rosemary caramel, milk & cookies, dark chocolate caramel

maple & salted almond, coconut-rum, passion fruit.

I'm curious what Milk and Cookies is.....

56 minutes ago, Bentley said:

I'm curious what Milk and Cookies is.....

White chocolate shell with cookie butter gianduja - vanilla shortbread and cocoa sable pureed and mixed with white or dark chocolate, respectively.  It's pretty firm but not as hard as a solid cookie.

Photos from Valentine's 2018:

dutton1.jpg.a990b6fe8f5920d1a7ebb3dfd27e167a.jpg

The mold of choice for Valentine's? Hearts, of course, these filled with strawberry pâte de fruit plus Meyer lemon ganache.

dutton2.jpg.65193e7a9b258ff70df72c036d8d4026.jpg

A squadron of hazelnut latte bars ready to be boxed: coffee ganache with Kahlúa plus hazelnut ganache with Frangelico, dipped in Maracaibo dark chocolate and topped with a toasted hazelnut.

dutton3.jpg.495865b506c3397eadc9acc8f24ad131.jpg

The assortment.  Top row: hazelnut latte, strawberry pâte de fruit & Meyer lemon ganache, dark caramel with Maldon sea salt. Middle row: sesame truffle, citrus (orange, lemon, lime) ganache, apple caramel. Bottom row: toasted almond & cherry gianduja, chocolate mousse with orange, pecan shortbread & caramel.

I have to add that, for all the hype I used in the description, the hazelnut latte was a disappointment. Yes, I know the recipe comes from the person probably at the top of the pantheon of chocolate gods, Peter Greweling, but the hazelnut part just doesn't have much flavor. It's white chocolate with a small amount of hazelnut praline paste emulsified with cream and some Frangelico. There is not enough praline paste, but more would mean this already-soft ganache would never set enough to cut. I'm thinking next time I will make a gianduja containing only white chocolate and hazelnut praline paste for a stronger hazelnut flavor.

• Like 11

13 minutes ago, Jim D. said:

Photos from Valentine's 2018:

dutton1.jpg.a990b6fe8f5920d1a7ebb3dfd27e167a.jpg

The mold of choice for Valentine's? Hearts, of course, these filled with strawberry pâte de fruit plus Meyer lemon ganache.

dutton2.jpg.65193e7a9b258ff70df72c036d8d4026.jpg

A squadron of hazelnut latte bars ready to be boxed: coffee ganache with Kahlúa plus hazelnut ganache with Frangelico, dipped in Maracaibo dark chocolate and topped with a toasted hazelnut.

dutton3.jpg.495865b506c3397eadc9acc8f24ad131.jpg

The assortment.  Top row: hazelnut latte, strawberry pâte de fruit & Meyer lemon ganache, dark caramel with Maldon sea salt. Middle row: sesame truffle, citrus (orange, lemon, lime) ganache, apple caramel. Bottom row: toasted almond & cherry gianduja, chocolate mousse with orange, pecan shortbread & caramel.

I have to add that, for all the hype I used in the description, the hazelnut latte was a disappointment. Yes, I know the recipe comes from the person probably at the top of the pantheon of chocolate gods, Peter Greweling, but the hazelnut part just doesn't have much flavor. It's white chocolate with a small amount of hazelnut praline paste emulsified with cream and some Frangelico. There is not enough praline paste, but more would mean this already-soft ganache would never set enough to cut. I'm thinking next time I will make a gianduja containing only white chocolate and hazelnut praline paste for a stronger hazelnut flavor.

I think my favourite effect here is the lower right - just looks so classy!

34 minutes ago, Jim D. said:

Thanks. I wasn't consciously imitating a recent one of yours, but it is similar--when you used tobacco in the filling.

That's funny - I was thinking how to imitate that!

• Haha 1

35 minutes ago, Kerry Beal said:

That's funny - I was thinking how to imitate that!

Mine was done by splattering copper and green cocoa butter, then molding in milk chocolate. I have never been happy with the various brushes I have used; this was done with a Mr. Clean dish brush--rather thick bristles, but basically too large (there is a huge amount of "overbrushing"). Toothbrushes have produced rather large blobs that make the c.b. look like a bad case of measles. I am not going to use the airbrush-while-dripping-from-a-cocoa-butter-bottle technique. I don't mind messy, but that is a whole new level of mess.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Jim D. said:

I am not going to use the airbrush-while-dripping-from-a-cocoa-butter-bottle technique. I don't mind messy, but that is a whole new level of mess.

Lol, it's really not that messy!  Do it over parchment and try to coordinate bursts of air with each drip.

8 minutes ago, pastrygirl said:

Lol, it's really not that messy!  Do it over parchment and try to coordinate bursts of air with each drip.

Do you guys know @Chocolot's splatter technique?

5 minutes ago, Kerry Beal said:

Do you guys know @Chocolot's splatter technique?

I thought she used the Fuji for that. Or are you referring to the "aim the airbrush at a stick so that the cocoa butter will ricochet onto the mold" technique? I had forgotten about the latter. I had success with it one time. I used a metal spatula for that, but the c.b. crystallized too quickly on the metal, and I haven't found a wooden tongue depressor (or wide craft stick).

6 minutes ago, Jim D. said:

I thought she used the Fuji for that. Or are you referring to the "aim the airbrush at a stick so that the cocoa butter will ricochet onto the mold" technique? I had forgotten about the latter. I had success with it one time. I used a metal spatula for that, but the c.b. crystallized too quickly on the metal, and I haven't found a wooden tongue depressor (or wide craft stick).

Nope - with a smaller airbrush. Metal spatula or back of a plastic spoon - build up some on the item, then flick to splatter. I use that technique most often when I don't want to pull out the Fuji if I just need to splatter a couple of molds. I have access to a whole lot of wooden tongue depressors!

Hi everyone.  I am new to the forums, but have been lurking (and learning so much) for a a few months now.  I was so excited about how my Valentine's chocolates turned out this year that I had to share them.  This was my first time using an airbrush so it was quite an adventure making these.  But seeing (and tasting) the final product is so rewarding!  Here are my "Out of This World" bonbons:DSC09668.thumb.jpg.ba92d567de48490fabc2c022bcab20f0.jpgMercury: Espresso ganache

Venus: Bananas Foster Caramel

Earth: Rosemary Olive Oil

Mars: Cherry Chipotle

Jupiter: Peanut butter ganache

Saturn: Salted Caramel

Uranus: Marshmallow with Strawberry Ganache

Neptune: Peppermint ganache

• Like 15

24 minutes ago, Haley said:

Hi everyone.  I am new to the forums, but have been lurking (and learning so much) for a a few months now.  I was so excited about how my Valentine's chocolates turned out this year that I had to share them.  This was my first time using an airbrush so it was quite an adventure making these.  But seeing (and tasting) the final product is so rewarding!  Here are my "Out of This World" bonbons:DSC09668.thumb.jpg.ba92d567de48490fabc2c022bcab20f0.jpgMercury: Espresso ganache

Venus: Bananas Foster Caramel

Earth: Rosemary Olive Oil

Mars: Cherry Chipotle

Jupiter: Peanut butter ganache

Saturn: Salted Caramel

Uranus: Marshmallow with Strawberry Ganache

Neptune: Peppermint ganache

Very nice - welcome Haley!

On 2/12/2018 at 10:23 PM, curls said:

@Haley, welcome! Beautiful and tasty sounding chocolates.

Maybe you can join us at the eGullet chocolates & confections workshop?

I really really wish I could, but my daughter has a dance recital that weekend so I won’t be able to make it.

10 hours ago, Haley said:

I really really wish I could, but my daughter has a dance recital that weekend so I won’t be able to make it.

Well best of luck to your daughter and perhaps you will be able to attend the 2019 workshop.

• Like 1

Working on some recipe development using sponge toffee scrap. 

Finally happy with the fudge 

IMG_8445.thumb.JPG.f7c29b64d2b9eacbe7118b49347bcb9f.JPG

First batch of caramel sauce - might be a winner. Will pick up ice cream on the way to work tonight and let them give me their opinion.

IMG_8443.thumb.JPG.29d1c35e4e29d31fb598744d5efde7f2.JPG

No preservative in this batch - final version will require it.  

• Like 4