• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Confections! What did we make? (2017 – )

kriz6912

21 minutes ago, patris said:

Dried black cherries? Black currants? Blackberries?

21 minutes ago, Chocolot said:

Blackberries, blueberries,

Nope - but black is a good start.

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, Kerry Beal said:

Getting warmer!

Yup!

The caramel is fabulous - umami and sweet.

Should have gone there first - you are the exception to the "when you hear hoofbeats think horses, not zebras" rule!

• Like 5

Patty

6 minutes ago, patris said:

Should have gone there first - you are the exception to the "when you hear hoofbeats think horses, not zebras" rule!

Yeah, I'm kinda ashamed that it never crossed my mind.

• Like 2

It's kinda like wrestling a gorilla... you don't stop when you're tired, you stop when the gorilla is tired.

Chocolate box:

Dark chocolate with cocoa nibs

Coconut

Orange

Coffee

Cinnamon

Raspberry

Bonbonier_01.JPG.2c81de04667672aa4f161cff55bcf213.JPG

Birthday chocolate hearts

Milk chocolate hearts with lyophilized fruits

Inside: 

Orange

Coconut

Milk/dark gianduja

Raspberry

Vanilla

Baileys

Hearts_01.thumb.jpg.0e8346aeec9a8619c246c6ac6a7d4597.jpg

Hearts_02.jpg.da4291577a04633d49116aa8c4a5a343.jpg

Hearts_Inside_01.thumb.jpg.311787d3dc8e514eb32b3b980af2d9f1.jpg

Bonbonier_01.JPG

Edited by RM Chocolat
Picture added twice (log)
  • Like 14

I call this one the PCP for Peanut, Caramel, Pretzel.  It has a pretzel biscuit topped with a milk chocolate peanut butter ganache and salted caramel.  It represents a couple different experiments.  First, I wanted to try a crispy layer.  The pretzel biscuit is coated in cocoa butter...three days later, it's still crispy.  We'll see how long that lasts.  The other experiment was the colored cocoa butter technique.  It's the dremel technique shown by Chef Salvatore Martone on his Instagram feed (https://www.instagram.com/p/BMcaOibDWt9/?taken-by=chefsmartone).  I would not call it a success.  I think I may have had too much light blue CCB in the mold.  I think it may also be necessary to let the CCB set slightly before using the brush.  I'll keep trying.  In any case, they still taste just as good!

Screen Shot 2017-05-16 at 7.51.14 PM.png

• Like 7

17 minutes ago, Bentley said:

I call this one the PCP for Peanut, Caramel, Pretzel.  It has a pretzel biscuit topped with a milk chocolate peanut butter ganache and salted caramel.  It represents a couple different experiments.  First, I wanted to try a crispy layer.  The pretzel biscuit is coated in cocoa butter...three days later, it's still crispy.  We'll see how long that lasts.  The other experiment was the colored cocoa butter technique.  It's the dremel technique shown by Chef Salvatore Martone on his Instagram feed (https://www.instagram.com/p/BMcaOibDWt9/?taken-by=chefsmartone).  I would not call it a success.  I think I may have had too much light blue CCB in the mold.  I think it may also be necessary to let the CCB set slightly before using the brush.  I'll keep trying.  In any case, they still taste just as good!

Screen Shot 2017-05-16 at 7.51.14 PM.png

Saw those - my first thought was - he must have used that dremel technique! Looking good.

On 5/15/2017 at 7:25 AM, Kerry Beal said:

Bernie ( @christysconfections) was over this am - he enjoyed the excessive rum but was unable to identify the rum soaked 'blaisins'. Hint - 'bl' 1st 2 letters.

blueberry?

edited: oh just kept reading and saw it was black garlic - awesome. I am experimenting with black garlic ganache at the moment and next will be doing a black garlic caramel. Hadn't thought of adding rum. 

Edited by a_pinch_of (log)

2 minutes ago, a_pinch_of said:

blueberry?

Logical guess but you may want to read through the other replies. The mystery was solved and... it definitely wasn't blueberries. :D

• Like 1

It's kinda like wrestling a gorilla... you don't stop when you're tired, you stop when the gorilla is tired.

2 minutes ago, Tri2Cook said:

Logical guess but you may want to read through the other replies. The mystery was solved and... it definitely wasn't blueberries. :D

Yep, just edited my comment as I saw it was black garlic - should have guessed as it's what I'm working with at the moment :D

Nothing nearly as fun as @kriz6912.... but an interesting change from sea salt caramels this week...

These are Greweling's Thai Sticks.   I followed the directions to the letter, with the exception of infusing the chili a bit longer. There was no noticeable heat after 5 min, so I had to do it longer.

IMG_1606.JPG

Edited by ChocoMom
spelling (log)
  • Like 7

-Andrea

A 'balanced diet' means chocolate in BOTH hands. :biggrin:

• 2 weeks later...
34 minutes ago, Kerry Beal said:

All prepared for my nephew's wedding in a couple of weeks.

Just gorgeous. Love those bride & groom oreos!  

• Like 2

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

7 minutes ago, Anna N said:

Just gorgeous. Love those bride & groom oreos!  

My second batch - most of the Oreo Thins delaminated and had to be fed to anyone who would eat them!

• Like 4

9 hours ago, Kerry Beal said:

My second batch - most of the Oreo Thins delaminated and had to be fed to anyone who would eat them!

Would that I had been part of that tragedy.

• Like 3

Nancy Smith, aka "Smithy"
HosteG Forumsnsmith@egstaff.org

Follow us on social media! Facebook; instagram.com/egulletx; twitter.com/egullet

"Every day should be filled with something delicious, because life is too short not to spoil yourself. " -- Ling (with permission)
"There comes a time in every project when you have to shoot the engineer and start production." -- author unknown

7 hours ago, Smithy said:

Would that I had been part of that tragedy.

Sadly, I was forced to take one (a couple, actually) for the team. It was hard, but I managed.

• Like 7

Patty

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Here's my chocolate chicken, 24 cm high / 20 cm wide.
Inspired by the beautiful work of Raul Bernal Belarra.

And a "How it's made!" movie...

https://www.instagram.com/p/BXziF_9DdDr

73a. Hen_500.jpg

73b. Hen_500.jpg

73c. Hen - 4X_500.jpg

Edited by kriz6912 (log)
  • Like 11

• 4 weeks later...