• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

Chocoguyin Pemby

Chocoguyin Pemby

So I had some left over caramel sauce from a meal and thought I would make some turtles with some pecans I had left over as well.  I reduced the caramel sauce to make it thicker 236F, roasted the pecans and arranged them in 3's on some parchment paper.   I poured the caramel over the pecan clusters and let it set.   While I was dipping  a batch of caramels in chocolate the 2 trays of turtles were supposed to set up - they did not as the caramel was a tad soft - I ended up scraping the cluster off the parchment and forming a log out of the mass - a sticky log.  after the first attempt I rinsed my fingers and put the second tray in the fridge.  finished dipping the first tray and was able to slide and scrape with a spatula to get the rest off and dipped - the weren't as bad as the first batch but not what i had in mind.  I let the chocolate set up and packaged 1/2 the caramels for a delivery and added 2 turtle 'turds'  as I  called them.  As I walked out I had a taste test of one of them and it was amazing - so much better than any turtle you can buy.  One of the best things I have ever made - by fluke kind of  the sure don't look pretty but taste amazing.    And I write all this and try and attatch the photo taken with my iphone and it is in the wrong format!!!   Sorry y'all no photo!!  eerrrrgggghhhhh!    What the heck is HEIC format and why is my phone doing that??

Anyways 5 minutes after delivering the caramels plus the turds, the customer texted me and ordered 25 turtle turds he loved them so much - now I have to figure out how to replicate them. 

Chocoguyin Pemby

Chocoguyin Pemby

So I had some left over caramel sauce from a meal and thought I would make some turtles with some pecans I had left over as well.  I reduced the caramel sauce to make it thicker 236F, roasted the pecans and arranged them in 3's on some parchment paper.   I poured the caramel over the pecan clusters and let it set.   While I was dipping  a batch of caramels in chocolate the 2 trays of turtles were supposed to set up - they did not as the caramel was a tad soft - I ended up scraping the cluster off the parchment and forming a log out of the mass - a sticky log.  after the first attempt I rinsed my fingers and put the second tray in the fridge.  finished dipping the first tray and was able to slide and scrape with a spatula to get the rest off and dipped - the weren't as bad as the first batch but not what i had in mind.  I let the chocolate set up and packaged 1/2 the caramels for a delivery and added 2 turtle 'turds'  as I  called them.  As I walked out I had a taste test of one of them and it was amazing - so much better than any turtle you can buy.  One of the best things I have ever made - by fluke kind of  the sure don't look pretty but taste amazing.    And I write all this and try and attatch the photo taken with my iphone and it is in the wrong format!!!   Sorry y'all no photo!!  eerrrrgggghhhhh!    What the heck is HEIC format and why is my phone doing that??