• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

Jamal12

Jamal12

23 minutes ago, pastrygirl said:

Just wanted to say I can sympathize with the sourcing difficulties, so I applaud what you've done with such limitations!  10 years ago I worked for a hotel in Bhutan and getting good ingredients was a constant struggle.  Some things came by truck from India and would be cut off if there was a mudslide on the road, or eggs wouldn't be imported because of bird flu concerns, and heavy whipping cream and unsalted butter were both precious commodities.  Sometimes I would be able to import "good" chocolate from suppliers in Bangkok or Singapore, but just as often the local staff would buy cheap compound coating stuff because they didn't understand.  Or it arrived out of temper due to hot conditions in shipping, which must be even worse in Qatar.  I hope you'll get the chance to work with ready-made couverture soon!

You see we had a habit here before in Qatar we always took Dubai as big brother so we did not make things here much.  People just went to Dubai.  Bought the lot there had their brand logo put on there and just drive a few hours across the border with their goods.  So everything was made in Dubai. We were not making things.  I felt the pain when I was making my cosmetics, soap and perfumes. I am a qualified perfumer by the way used to make my own hand made natural cosmetics and soaps and perfumes. And since I was among the few who actually manufactured here it was difficult to find things locally and bring in. Like I explained it was easier for people go-to Dubai and have their stuff bottled and labelled And the market was full of these products.  I had a very hard time as a small timer to bring like Shea butter and all my other products the was not known here.

the same goes for chocolates.  they import all these Belgian ready-made chocolates by the loads and have very few local manufacturers. So even if we do have anything it's either expensive or scarce. So now the way is being open since the blockade on Qatar to manufacture more.  But still it would have been easier if my materials came through Dubai.  Less shipping costs and I would receive them faster. 

I have always been very creative even as a soap maker and cosmeitician ( if that's the right word). And I suppose that's what pushed me to chocolates. Especially these  bonbons in all these shapes and colours.

I love studying and doing courses.  I have diploma in perfumery, cosmetics,  cookery, I also have diploma in Mobile App dev. So I love learning so once I get theproper knowledge and certification then if I can open a little place and do my chocolates then obviously I will have a customer base.  Then would switch to the real deal.  Now my colleagues and friends and family love my chocolates. 

But I like to play in the big league a small fish swimming with the big boys. Like I was doing as a perfumer soap maker. 

Hoping to be a big fish someday.

Jamal12

Jamal12

Just now, pastrygirl said:

Just wanted to say I can sympathize with the sourcing difficulties, so I applaud what you've done with such limitations!  10 years ago I worked for a hotel in Bhutan and getting good ingredients was a constant struggle.  Some things came by truck from India and would be cut off if there was a mudslide on the road, or eggs wouldn't be imported because of bird flu concerns, and heavy whipping cream and unsalted butter were both precious commodities.  Sometimes I would be able to import "good" chocolate from suppliers in Bangkok or Singapore, but just as often the local staff would buy cheap compound coating stuff because they didn't understand.  Or it arrived out of temper due to hot conditions in shipping, which must be even worse in Qatar.  I hope you'll get the chance to work with ready-made couverture soon!

You see we had a habit here before in Qatar we always took Dubai as big brother so we did not make things here much.  People just went to Dubai.  Bought the lot there had their brand logo put on there and just drive a few hours across the border with their goods.  So everything was made in Dubai. We were not making things.  I felt the pain when I was making my cosmetics, soap and perfumes. I am a qualified perfumer by the way used to make my own hand made natural cosmetics and soaps and perfumes. And since I was among the few who actually manufactured here it was difficult to find things locally and bring in. Like I explained it was easier for people go-to Dubai and have their stuff bottled and labelled And the market was full of these products.  I had a very hard time as a small timer to bring like Shea butter and all my other products the was not known here.

the same goes for chocolates.  they import all these Belgian ready-made chocolates by the loads and have very few local manufacturers. So even if we do have anything it's either expensive or scarce. So now the way is being open since the blockade on Qatar to manufacture more.  But still it would have been easier if my materials came through Dubai.  Less shipping costs and I would receive them faster. 

I have always been very creative even as a soap maker and cosmeitician ( if that's the right word). And I suppose that's what pushed me to chocolates. Especially these  bonbons in all these shapes and colours.

I love studying and doing courses.  I have diploma in perfumery, cosmetics,  cookery, I also have diploma in Mobile App device.  So unloved learning so once I get theproper knowledge and certification then if I can open a little place and do my chocolates then obviously I will have a customer base.  Then would switch to the real deal.  Now my colleagues and friends and family love my chocolates. 

But I like to play in the big league a small fish swimming with the big boys. Like I was doing as a perfumer soap maker. 

Hoping to be a big fish someday.