• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

pastrygirl

pastrygirl

wet caramel

lol, @Jim D. I have a whole fresh spool when I need it.

I caramelize the sugar then add warmed cream, etc.   For 90 pieces, heat 600 g heavy cream, 150 g butter, 170 g lyle's golden syrup (or whatever liquid sugar), salt and other flavors as desired.  Caramelize 700 g sugar as dark as you like then add liquid*.  I cooked to 258F, poured into a 9" square pan & cooled at room temp overnight.  It was a nice mid-high 60's in the kitchen today, finally better pastry-making weather!

I could see it not going as well if the caramel was soft and the kitchen is warm, or hard caramel and cold kitchen.  And you probably need to wrap as soon as they're cut, they do stick together a little bit so I wouldn't cut them and leave them sitting around.  But the caramel wasn't any firmer than the butter ganaches I make, and a far cry from the semi-solid gianduja that I've broken too many strings on.

*I always do wet caramel and just keep an eye on it while I do something else. 

pastrygirl

pastrygirl

lol, @Jim D. I have a whole fresh spool when I need it.

I caramelize the sugar then add warmed cream, etc.   For 90 pieces, heat 600 g heavy cream, 150 g butter, 170 g lyle's golden syrup (or whatever liquid sugar), salt and other flavors as desired.  Caramelize 700 g sugar as dark as you like then add liquid.  I cooked to 258F, poured into a 9" square pan & cooled at room temp overnight.  It was a nice mid-high 60's in the kitchen today, finally better pastry-making weather!

I could see it not going as well if the caramel was soft and the kitchen is warm, or hard caramel and cold kitchen.  And you probably need to wrap as soon as they're cut, they do stick together a little bit so I wouldn't cut them and leave them sitting around.  But the caramel wasn't any firmer than the butter ganaches I make, and a far cry from the semi-solid gianduja that I've broken too many strings on.