• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

I need a formula for a good Polish Dessert (Dyngus Day)

RobertM

I've been invited to a Dyngus Day Party (on Easter Monday) and was told to bring a cake.  I'm trying to find an authentic Polish dessert to take with us....it doesn't have to be a cake!  If anyone has such a formula out there and is willing to share, I promise, I will share the accolades with you!  (Or....if it's a total failure, I shall assign all blame to YOU!). 

I've done an internet search and come up with a Polish Vanilla Slice (Karpatka) 

And a Polish Apple Cake (Szarlotka) which I made last year (to excellent reviews).  

Of course, there is always a cheese cake.....but, I want to WOW them.....

Thanks

Bob

Perhaps we could attract the attention of member @Kasiain Warsaw, Poland? 

• Like 2

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

1 hour ago, Kasia said:

@RobertM

Dear Robert feel free to choose from here :D Maybe not all of them are 100% Polish but you will find something for sure.

@Kasia

Those are some delicious looking desserts but if I was looking for something typically Polish (something that anyone from Poland  would recognize)  is there one you could recommend? 

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

My 2004 eG Blog

Indeed, there are some wonderful sounding desserts there (thank you); can you point me in the direction of one or two that would typically be associated with Poland?  

Thank You again

bob

• Like 1

@Anna N

@RobertM

That's challenging while we do not have in Poland one special Polish dessert. We have rather few unique cakes. For Easter we prepare Mazurek, for Christmas these are Cheesecake, Poppy seed cake (which I have already posted here on eGullet Forum few days ago). We have charlotte (sometimes called apple pie). For few of them I have the recipes on my blog. While we have many season fruits (strawberries, apples, plums) in Poland we use them to prepare cakes and desserts. Below you will find pictures and links for these which I had prepared for my family. There are as many variations of them as you have house wifes in Poland:

Cheesecake (cold version)

DSC_0818a.jpg

DSC_0828a.jpg

Edited by Kasia (log)
  • Like 5

Kasia Warsaw/Poland

www.home-madepatchwork.com

follow me on Facebook and Instagram

Thank you so much. 

My 2004 eG Blog

I love the name 'strawberry mess'! I might have to make that just so I can say we're having a strawberry mess. :)

• Like 2

Nancy Smith, aka "Smithy"
HosteG Forumsnsmith@egstaff.org

Follow us on social media! Facebook; instagram.com/egulletx; twitter.com/egullet

"Every day should be filled with something delicious, because life is too short not to spoil yourself. " -- Ling (with permission)
"There comes a time in every project when you have to shoot the engineer and start production." -- author unknown

5 minutes ago, Smithy said:

I love the name 'strawberry mess'! I might have to make that just so I can say we're having a strawberry mess. :)

Or you could go for an Eton Mess which is equally delicious

• Like 2

My 2004 eG Blog

Not Polish!  

Just another mess.

My 2004 eG Blog

13 hours ago, Smithy said:

Believe me @Smithy that doing that together with kids (what I do pretty often) you may create a real mess in the kitchen :)

Edited by Kasia (log)
  • Like 3

Kasia Warsaw/Poland

@cakewalk- we do not have special dishes for Dyngus Day - we have dishes for Easter (Dyngus Day is one of the Easter days and always on Monday). These might be among others red or white borsht with sausage and eggs, different dishes from eggs, different meats, pate and vegetable salad.  An example are Red Eggs posted by me yesterday in Dinner 2017 (part 3)

• Like 1

Kasia Warsaw/Poland

Anna - I see - while it does look like a "mess" it also looks very delicious!

We had not heard of Dyngus day until 3 years ago when a friend from Buffalo, NY invited us to a "Dyngus Day" party.  A quick Google search gave us a background on the holiday.  This year, the party has grown in size and he has asked me to bring the dessert(s).  Last year I found a recipe for Krupnik Staropolski (Honey-Spice Liqueur) which went over very nicely (and I will be taking this again).  I also found, and made, Szarlotka (Polish Apple Cake) which also went over well.  This year, I will be adding at least one of the formula's provided here (THANK YOU Kasia!!!!)

• Like 1