• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Golden fried Cauliflower?

Soul_Venom

The best Chinese food restaurant I have ever been to is a place called the Imperial Buffet in Aberdeen SD. Their General Tso's is unlike the Tso's anywhere else. The closes comparison I could make is the Orange Chicken at the Panda Garden only 3x better. Their Lo-Mein Noodles are done with the skill of a master Italian pasta chef & perfectly seasoned. They also used to do a mean fried squid. I say used to because they had it when I lived in Aberdeen from 02-04 but didn't when I visited in 15'. One of their other discontinued specialties was a dish advertised as 'Golden Fried Cauliflower'. Note, this was NOT a breaded product. The cauliflower was cooked as though it had been boiled perfectly. It was not greasy as I recall but was a golden orange color as was the sauce it was evidently cooked in. I never could identify the flavors in that sauce. I wish I could describe it better but it has been well over a decade since I had it. Is anyone familiar with it or something similar? I can't seem to find anything like it online & all my searches just bring up links to breaded deep-fried crap.

I've been to Aberdeen, SD!

You can get golden looking caulifliower  by baking it with a thin skim of yogurt on it.  But I wouldn't say it has an orange cast. Turmeric perhaps...or that Mexican orange spice on whose name I'm blanking.

26 minutes ago, gfweb said:

I've been to Aberdeen, SD!

You can get golden looking caulifliower  by baking it with a thin skim of yogurt on it.  But I wouldn't say it has an orange cast. Turmeric perhaps...or that Mexican orange spice on whose name I'm blanking.

Annato?

• Like 1

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

Regarding the cooking method used in the Roasted Cauliflower discussion, I found that if you cook the cauliflower at a slightly lower temperature (350°F) and for a longer time (at least 30 minutes), the cauliflower starts to take on a yellowish color. I wouldn't call it golden, but it's definitely not white when you take it out of the oven. YMMV.

• Like 2

“Peter: Oh my god, Brian, there's a message in my Alphabits. It says, 'Oooooo.'

Brian: Peter, those are Cheerios.”

– From Fox TV’s “Family Guy”

Tim Oliver