• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

How to Cook a Steak - Not.

liuzhou

My local supermarkets have taken to selling these "steaks".

box.jpg

Back in September, I tried one, as reported here. It was as bad as I expected.

Yesterday, I noticed that they have helpfully put up a large sign informing their eager customers how to cook the things.  Seems I did it all wrong.

steak1.thumb.jpg.1b8a88feb848293ff1f6fb5aab3baaac.jpg

According the 8 step instructions I should:

1. Prepare all the ingredients.

(Note: they don't tell you what those ingredients are)

2. Immerse the steak in Worcestershire Sauce, making sure the steak is completely submerged. Soak for at least half an hour.

(Note: the supermarket does not sell Worcestershire sauce)

3. Place the steak on oiled tinfoil/aluminum foil and place in a preheated oven at 400F (204C) for 45 minutes.

Note:

a) No one has an oven.
b) China, like almost all countries, uses Celcius. No one here would know what F is, but I love the precision of the conversion.

4. Boil an egg.

5. Cut broccoli into small pieces and slice shiitake mushrooms. Boil the broccoli with salt and seasonings and add a little oil to preserve the colour.

7. Heat a wok, add butter and fry the shiitake with garlic, salt and other seasonings.

8. Turn the steak over to avoid burning. Plate it. Serve with A1 sauce.

Note:
a) yes, the supermarket doesn't have A1 sauce. In fact, I've never seen it in China.

b) what happened to the egg and vegetables?

The final result.

steak2.thumb.jpg.69b8aff5872df20bf79824592501609f.jpg

Looks wonderful. I'll get it right next time!

Edited by liuzhou (log)
  • Like 9

...your dancing child with his Chinese suit.

The Kitchen Scale Manifesto

WOW.  I am quite fond of Worcestershire sauce but I never thought of soaking my steak in it.  

Ah wait.  45 mins x 400F = beef jerky.  It is beginning to make sense. 

• Like 3

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog