• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Making Caramel with Milk

Hi All,

I am having a caramel problem. I have access to some delicious water buffalo milk (28% fat). I attempted to use it as a replacement for heavy cream(36% fat) in my usual caramel recipe. Unfortunately, when I added the hot milk to the hot sugar, the mixture split into an ugly, grainy mess. I did manage to improve it by blending it with an immersion blender, but the final texture was still grainy. The flavour was great though! 

The method I used was to make a dry caramel with white can sugar, then I added  a small amount of glucose and the buffalo milk that I had heated to a simmer. I cooked this to 252 and added butter before pouring into a pan to cool.

Does anyone understand the science better who could recommend a different method or adjustment to the ingredients that might make it have a smooth texture as caramel should? My supplier for buffalo milk does not have a separator, so using buffalo cream at this time is not an option. I thought about adding butter to the buffalo milk when heating it to bring the fat content up to that of the regular cream, and/or using an emulsifier or something like lechithin or xantham gum. Any thoughts?

It seems I am constantly coming to you for help. Thanks, as always.

- Christy -

"My rule is to welcome you with hospitality and to send you away in peace." - The Deserts Fathers

I'm not personally familiar with the characteristics of buffalo milk, but I'd be inclined to try reducing it as Plan A. I don't know if adding fat would be as effective as reducing water, but it's something to think about while you wait for someone with actual expertise to chime in. 

“Who loves a garden, loves a greenhouse too.” - William Cowper, The Task, Book Three

"Not knowing the scope of your own ignorance is part of the human condition...The first rule of the Dunning-Kruger club is you don’t know you’re a member of the Dunning-Kruger club.” - psychologist David Dunning

I made caramel with milk once a few years ago. My wife wanted caramel (she liked me to make soft caramel, put it in a squeeze bottle and she'd just squeeze it onto a spoon and eat it), there was no cream in the house and it was after grocery store hours. So I tried it with milk. It was long enough ago that I don't remember specifically what the problem was but we were both not at all happy with the result. There were some textural issues and I know there was something else but can't think of what it was. I want to say there was some curdling but I could easily be mistaken or thinking of a different project. This isn't to say it can't work, just that it didn't work for me using the recipe I usually use with cream.

It's kinda like wrestling a gorilla... you don't stop when you're tired, you stop when the gorilla is tired.