• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Eleven Madison Park named "Best Restaurant" in the world.

Cronker

Apparently. 

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

EMP is a very good -- based on the one time we dined there, I'd say excellent -- restaurant. Whether it's the best in the world this year, is not something I'll be able to decide, given the fact that I am neither independently wealthy nor on an extravagant expense account. (As an aside, I'd venture to say that many of the participants in creating this list haven't actually been to many of the places they voted for.) In any case, there are no objective criteria for this award.

But that's not really what this list is about. It's about a certain tier (the very uppermost) of the restaurant business supporting two of their peers, who are widely respected in the industry, and who made it their express goal to be at the top of this list. It's also about recognizing a new-ish trend in fine dining, with a gracious neoclassical approach taking a turn after a few years of the foraging aesthetic (Noma), which followed a few years of modernism represented by elBulli.

• Like 4

Dave Scantland
Executive director
dscantland@eGstaff.org
eG Ethics signatory

Eat more chicken skin.

• 4 weeks later...
On 4/5/2017 at 0:02 PM, Dave the Cook said:

But that's not really what this list is about. It's about a certain tier (the very uppermost) of the restaurant business supporting two of their peers, who are widely respected in the industry, and who made it their express goal to be at the top of this list. It's also about recognizing a new-ish trend in fine dining, with a gracious neoclassical approach taking a turn after a few years of the foraging aesthetic (Noma), which followed a few years of modernism represented by elBulli.

Exactly.  Its important to understand that this isn't a list of restaurants that have the best tasting and most perfectly executed food and service.  The michelin guide attempts a more quantitative and subjective ranking system in that sense.  The San Pellegrino list has always been more about the movers and shakers-- the restaurants influencing, redefining, or in some way progressing the current state of fine dining.

From what I can tell, EMP won the award for reviving table-side service and other classical cooking and service techniques in a new and modern way.  But no, you shouldn't assume that their food is the best food in the world, or that their servers are more talented and gracious than any others simply because they won this award.  I ate their this past October and was quite disappointed actually. Many of their dishes tasted very one-dimensional.  With each bite I was searching for a hit of acid, a pop of fresh herbs or flowers, a touch of heat-- just anything really.  Their cookbook is full of dishes that appear to have these dynamic elements, but the dishes during my meal there seemed much more pared-down and simple-- like extremely expensive french bistro food.

I have only eaten one other 3-michelin type of meal in my life, at Grace in Chicago, and it truly was a life-changing experience.  My fiance and I had never experienced such talented and, well, graceful service while eating such exciting and delicious food.  In fact, I never knew such food or service even existed before that meal, yet Grace is nowhere to be found on that list.

I guess my point is that those epiphany-inducing dream meals do exist, but you shouldn't necessarily look to these lists to try and find yours-- eat with an open mind and you will experience yours eventually.

• Like 1

More.important to remember is that these guides are largely about promoting the parent companies. Both Michelin and San Pellegrino could pick restaurants more or less at random, generate publicity and sit back on their padded chairs satisfied that their name is in every newspaper and discussion forum on the planet.

I reckon they should choose a restaurant that doesn't exist and see if anyone notices. I bet you all I possess (not a lot admittedy) that there will be clowns in their hundreds claiming to have eaten there and found it wanting / excellent / disappointing / wonderful etc.

And Mr. Michelin and San the Man Pellegrino will still be sitting in their padded chairs grinning.

Edited by liuzhou
typo (log)
  • Like 2

...your dancing child with his Chinese suit.

The Kitchen Scale Manifesto

I ate there a few years ago now. Probably the best dining experience I've ever had. I'm sure individual preferences have a part to play but equally I've had meals at three Michelin star restaurants that have been simply too try hard to be credible. EMP was not like that.

There will always be diners who want to eat there to say they've eaten there to give themselves kudos. Equally, there will be people who will eat there and criticise it -- because they can and it makes them feel powerful to do so.

Congratulations to EMP. Unfortunately, it makes you a big target for all and sundry to be less than impressed with.

• Like 2

Nick Reynolds, aka "nickrey"

"The Internet is full of false information." Plato
My eG Foodblog

• 2 weeks later...

I am proud to say that our niece, while enrolled at the CIA, did an internship at Eleven Madison, about 4 years ago.  She said it was the best internship she could have gotten.  The principals and staff there have continued to give her advice as she and her wife recently opened an eatery in downtown Baltimore.  

• Like 1

Does this rating imply that they have the best chef in the world?

"As life's pleasures go, food is second only to sex.Except for salami and eggs...Now that's better than sex, but only if the salami is thickly sliced"--Alan King (1927-2004)

29 minutes ago, Naftal said:

Does this rating imply that they have the best chef in the world?

No, I don't think so. 

According to the organizers:  "What constitutes ‘best’ is left to the judgement of these trusted and well-travelled gourmets" and "The World's 50 Best Restaurants list provides an annual snapshot of the opinions and experiences of over 1,000 international restaurant industry experts."

• Like 1

Cheers,

Anne

Any chef who is being honest will tell you that service, environment, and food all count towards the success of a restaurant. Even if you had the best food in the world, poor service would result in patrons being most unlikely to return.

The whole package is what is important.

• Like 3

Nick Reynolds, aka "nickrey"

"The Internet is full of false information." Plato
My eG Foodblog

20 hours ago, gulfporter said:

I am proud to say that our niece, while enrolled at the CIA, did an internship at Eleven Madison, about 4 years ago.  She said it was the best internship she could have gotten.  The principals and staff there have continued to give her advice as she and her wife recently opened an eatery in downtown Baltimore.  

If you wouldn't mind sharing, what is the name of your niece's restaurant? Always nice to have another great restaurant to visit.