• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Lab for shelf life testing in NYC area?

Franci

Anybody has a recommendation for the NYC area for a lab for products shelf life testing? It's my first time using such a service, can you tell me a little more about it. Times, prices etc?

Thanks!

Edited by Smithy
Adjusted title (log)

I did a google search for food testing services in NYC, and came up with this: http://foodtestinglab.com/food-testing.htm#BasePackages

From the very very little I know from anecdotal stories,  you submit a recipe/product and fees are based on the different tests they run.  What tests are determined by what you are selling (potentially  hazardous, non-potentially hazardous) and your local BOH requirements.

I"m hoping your questions means you're about to go national ;)

thanks, again, Jeannecake. I will call for  a quote. National not yet...I wish! But let's say that I want to start to see what I need to do to be able to sell online. As a first step I'd like to determine for sure  the shelf life of my cakes, then look  for solutions to extend it a little more!

A 'best by' or expiration date is not required, so depending on how much testing costs, you may be better off using your best judgement.  Either 'best within X days' or include a note on how to store and handle the product. 

Your state Dept of Agriculture may also be helpful.

With summer coming, I'd recommend starting off with some very stable items that won't need to be kept cold, like biscotti.  With more perishable foods you need expensive insulated boxed, ice packs or dry ice, and expedited shipping.  You won't get great shipping rates unless you do pretty high volume - hundreds a month.  I use USPS priority mail during cool months, which works OK but I have had one box totally smashed, and one shipment to Texas that melted (should have seen that coming), and they don't guarantee their delivery date (usually 1-3 days).  I think this summer I'm either not going to offer shipping or only do next day air or something.

Will everything be made to order, or will you be keeping inventory?

Thanks @pastrygirl I already have a label with "best enjoyed by" and it has been fine until now. I am not planning into baking many different items, just the 4 cakes I'm baking at the moment, plus a new products. I'd like to be able to extend the shelf life, so I think might be useful coming with a more certain date for expiration. I'll keep you posted!

Edited by Franci (log)