• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Limequats brought me here

Debbers

Hi I'm Barbara living in O Algarve Portugal. Thank you for having me.

I am interested in Middle Eastern,Indian,Ayurveda and holistic food and the techniques and philosophies involved.Although I am not a vegetarian I want to introduce more veggies into my diet. We are fortunate to have locally sourced veg and fruit in the daily market which are not necessarily exotic but basic,seasonal and plentiful. At present we are luxuriating in broad beans- painstakingly de- podded by Maria our greengrocer.- smothered in butter and coentro(coriander). Yummy. But any other suggestions?

Portuguese wine has improved tremendously in latter years thanks a lot to vinivculturists from California,Australia and France and I do like a tipple...

The port is of course famous and recently for me the white port over ice has become a summer favourite. So when my wee limequat tree produced fruit wondered if this drink would be enhanced by a slice of one- so that's why I'm here- any ideas?Saw the post about a "quat" pickle which I'll try and as we have a large loquat fruiting on the communal garden can use them too.

So I look forward to learning more about my favourite pursuit eating and drinking...

IMG_0249.JPG

• Like 4

Welcome to eGullet, @Debbers.  I been to Lisbon a couple of times and always wished I could go back and explore more of Portugal.  I hope you will share what you are cooking.  There are dedicated threads for sharing daily Breakfast, Lunch and Dinner meals as well as Bread, Baking, Preserving and others.  Please join in wherever you like.

I'll hope you will share your limequat adventures.  I bought a few mandarinquats at the local farmers market recently but haven't decided what to do with them so I'll be curious how you use your fruits.

• Like 1

Welcome to eGullet, Debbers.  I'm curious about the limequats, too - what they're like, and what you end up doing with them.  I've never been to Portugal but would love to know more about the food there, as much as you wish to post.

If you have any questions about how the forums work or where something should be posted, don't hesitate to ask a host (I am one) or ask in the Moderation and Policy Discussion forum.

Nancy Smith, aka "Smithy"
HosteG Forumsnsmith@egstaff.org

Follow us on social media! Facebook; instagram.com/egulletx; twitter.com/egullet

"Every day should be filled with something delicious, because life is too short not to spoil yourself. " -- Ling (with permission)
"There comes a time in every project when you have to shoot the engineer and start production." -- author unknown