• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Wray & Nephew - help!

8 minutes ago, PassionateAmateur said:

I can't see how he finally succeeded -- or find a description in there.  Am I meant to just stick a screwdriver into the center and pry?

It looks like the secret is pushing down the outside of the cap to expose the twist off cap.

HC

This sounds like one of those barriers that prevents refilling, in which case it's designed precisely to be impossible to remove.

Does the rum pour through it (maybe even requiring rolling the bottle a bit)?

Haha, it just takes practice!  Twist the yellow cap.  Two pieces of a red plastic insert will fall out.  If not, twist harder.  Remove the cap.  Now begin to despair as no rum comes through.  Have faith.  Pour.  Eventually you'll get way more than you were expecting.  But that is not necessarily a bad thing.

Drink.  Treat snakebite.  Or childbirth.  Repeat.

• Like 5

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

Eventually, the combination stabbing center bit of plastic with a corkscrew and then yanking free with needle-nosed pliers did the trick.  Mercifully the quality and potency of the rum proved worth the effort!  I've rarely felt so stupid in my own kitchen.  Though perhaps if we'd attempted this while still sober it would have worked out better -- we'd already done a good deal of recipe testing with a new bottle of Cruzan black strap before trying to fight our way into the W&N.  Thanks all for the advice!