• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Videos about Italian baking traditions

Franci

Hi. Sorry I disappeared but I had to take a break on posting the videos. I replaced my IT person and found someone else that is going to take care of my website/YouTube Channel and Instagram. 

I’ve also decided that I’ll post videos every 2nd Tuesday, it was getting way too expensive and time consuming to post every week. I also had to create a new YouTube Channel, I just updated all the links in this thread but two Channels are going to coexist only for tomorrow, I’ll have the first one deleted. 

For tomorrow Zuppa inglese is already scheduled. I’ll link to the recipe tomorrow :smile:

Edited by Franci (log)
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Franci said:

Here it is, new video is up...

Another great video.

Two things:

1) I did see the slice of this finished cake on your web site and it looked delicious. I think you needed a close-up of this cake in your video, especially with the browned meringue. It might help "sell" the cake/video better to the public watching the video.

2) Your web site URL is misspelled on the YouTube page for this video. Down below where you post info about yourself and the other recipe videos, there's this line:

For the full written recipe and more go to dolcedifranci.com

Your web site's actual web address is https://www.dolcidifranci.com/

Note the "e" in the misspelled web address..

In all of your other videos, the hyperlink is fine. It's just this video that's different.

Again, thank you for posting the video!

• Like 1

“Peter: Oh my god, Brian, there's a message in my Alphabits. It says, 'Oooooo.'

Brian: Peter, those are Cheerios.”

– From Fox TV’s “Family Guy”

Tim Oliver

Thanks @Toliver ! The idea of skipping the cake browning was not mine 9_9  I think it was just to save time on the video. On my Instagram page I posted a photo with the brown top: click , third photo. Unfortunately too late to change the video. 

And thanks a lot for spotting the mistake on the mispelled address and link! Going to correct right now. 

Edited by Franci (log)
  • Like 1

I was a little thrown as to how it made it from the cake stand to the oven and back again. 

• Like 1

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

1 hour ago, Anna N said:

I was a little thrown as to how it made it from the cake stand to the oven and back again. 

@Anna N, with my broiler it’s easy to do the browning using the stand but if I had to use the oven, I’d just use a heat resistant plate. 

P.S.: the cake is on a cake board, using a spatula is also very easy to move it around. 

Edited by Franci (log)
  • Like 3

@Franci,

Great video and such a tempting, lovely dessert!

The web address under the YouTube video for Zuppa inglese seems to now be spelled correctly, but it is not a hyperlink (meaning one cannot click on it and be taken to your website). I'm sure you want it to be as easy as possible for people to land on your website, so this is probably an oversight.

Also the hyperlinks for Pan di Spagna and Crema Patisccera link back to your videos on the YouTube site instead of your website. This might be what you intended, but if I were you, I would take the link back to your website, where people can then easily go and look at the link for the YouTube videos on both these components of Zuppa inglese if they are so inclined. That way you have given them an opportunity to become aware of your website.

Also, while Amarena cherries seem to be available online. (I'd never heard of them before.) They are not the same as Amarelle (called Morello here), but I bet the dish would be be very good with these sour cherries, and many people can buy those easily at their local Trader Joe's and other outlets in the US. Just suggestions and random thoughts. :)

• Like 1

> ^ . . ^ <

@Thanks for the Crepes thank you :) All great suggestions. If you have never tried the Amarene in syrup, try them! I brioche filled with pastry cream and Amarene is delish! Also on gelato. The Fabbri Amarene are very decent but already a second choice compared to the home version of Amarene  « cooked in the sun ». My mom, when she still lived in the South, used to make them every year. This is in Italian but photos help. In the meantime, I’ve never tried the Trader Joe’s. I will and report back on the difference! 

• Like 4

• 2 weeks later...

Your latest video (click) is very nice! It's very succinct and you've made putting together the cake look easy. It's very encouraging.

The Torta Mantovana looks delicious. I followed your link to your web site for the recipe. The picture of the finished cake looks tempting...all I would need is a nice cup of coffee!

Thanks again for making the video.

Tim Oliver

• 2 weeks later...

I had a question about the newest recipe you posted on YouTube (click)...

The video is great!...quick to the point and easy-to-follow instructions.

Regarding the odd ingredient, Baker's Ammonia, from what I've Googled about it, the ammonia smell is said to dissipate after baking. What if you under-bake the cookies? Will they have the odor of ammonia? Or is that nothing to worry about?

Thanks for posting the new video!

• Like 1

Tim Oliver