• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Chocdoc - Not Loafing in Lancaster

Off towards Lancaster for the PMCA again. Have Kat (who those of you who have attended the last workshop will recognize) along.

Just stopped for breakfast with @patris.

image.thumb.jpeg.4edb00d0a8fcc7d8082cd4758556b1a0.jpeg

Forkish loaf

image.thumb.jpeg.53371dcfb7964158a825f9e6a1d92dc4.jpeg

image.thumb.jpeg.d3a01b69eb6ff46bf12f37cd9376aa78.jpeg

image.thumb.jpeg.b20e1bb2777fa870edb5d2505861b7cd.jpeg

• Like 13

@patris  always makes the best breakfasts!  

Edited by Anna N (log)
  • Like 2

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

2 hours ago, Anna N said:

@patris  always makes the best breakfasts!  

The only missing ingredient was you, @Anna N! I do have to say that your posts on the bread thread were what got me to make that loaf - yours always looks so delicious.

@Shelby - Kat left with a load of mugs and bowls - she won the pottery lottery and got her pick from the bins languishing in my closet. Come to Buffalo and you can too!

• Like 3

Patty

DANG!!! Did you even have enough time between trips to do laundry?

Have some of that Lebanon bologna this year.....:rolleyes:

• Like 3

Nothing is better than frying in lard.

Nothing.  Do not quote me on this.

Linda Ellerbee

Take Big Bites

12 minutes ago, blue_dolphin said:

I love the salt & pepper shakers - they're like little sculptures!

Those are some of my most treasured possessions - made by a fellow potter friend who calls them Salt and Pepper Stones. Painstaking process with an exquisite result.

• Like 4

Patty

2 hours ago, blue_dolphin said:

I love the salt & pepper shakers

Me too.

• Like 2

It's kinda like wrestling a gorilla... you don't stop when you're tired, you stop when the gorilla is tired.

1 hour ago, gfweb said:

The Phila. Inquirer food critic is a very trustworthy fellow. Heed his words.

http://www.philly.com/philly/columnists/craig_laban/20140424_LANCASTER___TOTALLY_HAPPENING_.html

Thank you - reservations made for John J Jeffries - and plans to hit the distillery!

• Like 2

Is that scrapple?

Edit: never mind, Anna's answered....

Edited by Smithy
Added note (log)

Nancy Smith, aka "Smithy"
HosteG Forumsnsmith@egstaff.org

Follow us on social media! Facebook; instagram.com/egulletx; twitter.com/egullet

"Every day should be filled with something delicious, because life is too short not to spoil yourself. " -- Ling (with permission)
"There comes a time in every project when you have to shoot the engineer and start production." -- author unknown

@Kerry Beal

There is a reason you're there and I'm here. I think it's called scrapple.xDxDxD

• Like 4

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

My 2004 eG Blog

1 minute ago, gfweb said:

Think of it as haggis without the stomach

I've never tried scrapple but I'm a fan of goetta. I was going to ask if they're similar but the above leads me to believe they are not. There's no organ meats in the goetta I make.

It's kinda like wrestling a gorilla... you don't stop when you're tired, you stop when the gorilla is tired.

3 minutes ago, gfweb said:

Think of it as haggis without the stomach

The world is full of wonderful things to eat: tripe and onions, pickled herring, smoked eel.  Neither haggis nor scrapple  show up on my list of wonderful things.  Your mileage may vary and apparently does. And once again I celebrate our differences knowing full well that I am right and you are wrong.:P

• Like 8

My 2004 eG Blog

Wheres the fried egg? Scrapple needs a fried egg or 2 on top to make it a real scrapple experience.

My father used to go to the Reading Terminal Market in Phila. on Fridays and come home with  scrapple , sausages, and sometimes cup cheese. He's cut off a thin slice of the scrapple  from the end with all the congealed fat on it and eat it with enthusiasm.  He, and the dog, and I would all eat cup cheese (it was  similar in may ways to LePages mucilage, the glue that came in the bottle with the red rubber nipple on the top. When spread on bread the cheese tended to make the bread curl up) but my mother and brother didn't even want the container of cheese opened when they were in the room.

• Like 2

"A fool", he said, "would have swallowed it". Samuel Johnson