• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

baking polyester strips?

Franci

I've always thought of polyester as a fabric...now I found on Amazon this polyester collar for baking. It should be safe, at least they state,  up to 356 F. I use acetate strips to finish my cakes but those are obviously not for baking...Anybody have used these collars and any thought about their safety before I buy a roll?

Thanks!

Edited by Franci (log)

Polyester is a plastic, just like nylon. It can be made into fibers and threads, or just about anything else. My guess is that these aren't meant for for use in the oven. They look like they're for assembly and presentation. I don't think you're likely to melt them and ruin the food, but they might get discolored and warped and and a bit on the crisp side. Maybe the manufacturer can clarify?

Notes from the underbelly