• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Recipes that Rock: 2017

Anna N

For many, many years we have had the Recipes that Rock topic.   I do not see where we have one started for this year.  Here's  a link to 2016. 

This is where we post recipes or links to recipes that have literally knocked our socks off.   Recipes in which the whole is so much more than the sum of the parts.   Recipes that seem as if they shouldn't work but do.  

My first contribution is a recipe I ran across yesterday in the New York Times for a Bacon Scallion Cream Sauce.  Initially it appealed to me because I had a bunch of scallions that were going south but ultimately it became so much more than a way to use up some straggly onions.

The ingredients will be staples for many of us.  I made it early in the day, chilled it quickly and put it in the refrigerator to be reheated at dinner time. For me that's an extra bonus.  It might even freeze well though I suspect it would separate.

Here's  a link. 

Edited by Anna N
Adding link (log)
  • Like 7

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

I am having such a good time re-reading all the previous rocking recipe topics that I thought I would post links for those of you who have as much time on your hands as I doxD.

https://forums.egullet.org/topic/114465-recipes-that-rock-2008/

https://forums.egullet.org/topic/120958-recipes-that-rock-2009/

https://forums.egullet.org/topic/131834-recipes-that-rock-2010/

https://forums.egullet.org/topic/136296-recipes-that-rock-2011/

https://forums.egullet.org/topic/141527-recipes-that-rock-2012-and-2013/

https://forums.egullet.org/topic/146958-recipes-that-rock-2014/

Some years were more productive than others. Some links are unfortunately lost. And apparently nobody found anything spectacular in 2015.

Edited to add

Many of the links to recipes in Gourmet are broken. If you go to Epicurious and type in the name of the recipe, you will often find the original.   I believe most of the recipes from the now defunct Gourmet site were migrated to Epicurious.

Edited by Anna N (log)
  • Like 8

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

My 2004 eG Blog

3 hours ago, Anna N said:

The ingredients will be staples for many of us.  I made it early in the day, chilled it quickly and put it in the refrigerator to be reheated at dinner time. For me that's an extra bonus.  It might even freeze well though I suspect it would separate.

Here's  a link. 

You need an account to view the recipe 

34 minutes ago, Paul Fink said:

You need an account to view the recipe 

Try this.

I am certain that most members can figure out how to combine these ingredients into a sauce.  

• Like 1

My 2004 eG Blog

• 2 weeks later...

@Anna N. What did you serve this sauce with?  I'm thinking of making it to go with some boneless, skinless sous vide chicken breasts.  I know this is a departure from the recipe but I'm planning to use canned green peppercorns rather than cracked black pepper.

3 minutes ago, ElsieD said:

@Anna N. What did you serve this sauce with?  I'm thinking of making it to go with some boneless, skinless sous vide chicken breasts.  I know this is a departure from the recipe but I'm planning to use canned green peppercorns rather than cracked black pepper.

Green peppercorns will definitely change the flavour profile but I suspect it would work perfectly well with chicken. 

My 2004 eG Blog

I made the Bacon Scallion Cream Sauce tonight which we had with sous vide chicken.  It is outstanding except for one thing and that is not the recipes fault.  I was going to use canned green peppercorns but decided to make the recipe as written only to find that I still do NOT like cracked black peppercorns in anything, including this sauce.  If you like cracked peppercorns in your sauce, you will love this one.

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, ElsieD said:

I made the Bacon Scallion Cream Sauce tonight which we had with sous vide chicken.  It is outstanding except for one thing and that is not the recipes fault.  I was going to use canned green peppercorns but decided to make the recipe as written only to find that I still do NOT like cracked black peppercorns in anything, including this sauce.  If you like cracked peppercorns in your sauce, you will love this one.

Do you mean you don't like black pepper or you don't like big chunks of black pepper? I certainly don't like the latter and automatically ignore the adjective "cracked".  I go with ground.  

• Like 1

My 2004 eG Blog

11 hours ago, Anna N said:

Do you mean you don't like black pepper or you don't like big chunks of black pepper? I certainly don't like the latter and automatically ignore the adjective "cracked".  I go with ground.  

I don't like big chunks of black pepper.  I like ground pepper just fine, and lots of it.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

The easiest and perhaps fastest soft dinner rolls you are ever likely to make!  

image.jpeg.03f6493ea4ee431a2e93ef78b3f5f33e.jpeg

image.jpeg.4980d4c895686ce523e831de8058705d.jpeg

image.jpeg.7e8b648c90cbf4ffc729119476351eec.jpeg

image.thumb.jpeg.adfe5c427fa112d312b00c4c4dba8ecb.jpeg

If you swear that you absolutely cannot bake I still bet you can make these.

• Like 18

My 2004 eG Blog

@Anna N -- These are very similar to my dinner rolls (mine are all water, no milk, and only one egg). I agree; they are very nearly foolproof, and among the best rolls I've ever eaten.

• Like 2

Don't ask. Eat it.

www.kayatthekeyboard.wordpress.com

58fa5792d4685_PolishCabbageCasserole.thumb.JPG.bfe4b1bb504d5a6ddcc56414d866751b.JPG

This is the amazing dish that I found on Aboutfood.com.  Can't find the source anymore no matter how I type it in.  Just keep on getting FB sites or Pinterest (which I loathe because of the way it has usurped so many other sites...just prejudice on my part no doubt) but I do have the recipe.  It's a Polish Cabbage-Bacon-Cheese casserole baked in an iron skillet and it probably couldn't be any worst for the digestion if it tried...but oh, is it delicious.   DH keeps asking me to make it again and again.  

• Like 7

Darienne

learn, learn, learn...

We live in hope. 

21 minutes ago, Darienne said:

It's a Polish Cabbage-Bacon-Cheese casserole baked in an iron skillet and it probably couldn't be any worst for the digestion if it tried...but oh, is it delicious.   DH keeps asking me to make it again and again.  

This it?

• Like 1

My 2004 eG Blog

On 4/20/2017 at 8:29 AM, Anna N said:

The easiest and perhaps fastest soft dinner rolls you are ever likely to make!  

image.jpeg.03f6493ea4ee431a2e93ef78b3f5f33e.jpeg

image.jpeg.4980d4c895686ce523e831de8058705d.jpeg

image.jpeg.7e8b648c90cbf4ffc729119476351eec.jpeg

image.thumb.jpeg.adfe5c427fa112d312b00c4c4dba8ecb.jpeg

If you swear that you absolutely cannot bake I still bet you can make these.

I will make these soon.  I am roll challenged.  Mine always turn out like little loaves of bread....never like the fluffy rolls.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Anna N said:

This it?

Close, but no cigar I'm afraid.  I've typed in the heading every which way, but just can't come up with the original recipe.  Mine has more bacon and no vinegar or bread crumbs...but then it's the kind of recipe which has so many variants to it.    Thanks, Anna.

• Like 1

Darienne

learn, learn, learn...

We live in hope. 

10 hours ago, Darienne said:

Close, but no cigar I'm afraid.  I've typed in the heading every which way, but just can't come up with the original recipe.  Mine has more bacon and no vinegar or bread crumbs...but then it's the kind of recipe which has so many variants to it.    Thanks, Anna.

Okay, @Darienne, please share your recipe! This sounds ideal for a one-pot (pan) boat recipe to add to my collection. 

Cape Town - At the foot of a flat topped mountain with a tablecloth covering it.

Some time ago we had Johnny Cash, Bob Hope and Steve Jobs. Now we have no Cash, no Hope and no Jobs. Please don't let Kevin Bacon die.

Gladly JohnT, my South African food mentor.  I'll pm it to you.  Don't recall the exact legality of putting a recipe up in public.  I am giving its source totally, even if I can't locate it now.

• Like 1

Darienne

learn, learn, learn...

We live in hope. 

This is the amazing dish that I found on Aboutfood.com.  Can't find the source anymore no matter how I type it in.

About.com has been broken up into a handful of new sites, including The Spruce and Verywell, which are focused on specific subject matter (in those two cases, "home" and "health/wellness"). A lot of the old links will redirect, a lot will not. 

• Like 2

“Who loves a garden, loves a greenhouse too.” - William Cowper, The Task, Book Three

"Not knowing the scope of your own ignorance is part of the human condition...The first rule of the Dunning-Kruger club is you don’t know you’re a member of the Dunning-Kruger club.” - psychologist David Dunning

21 minutes ago, chromedome said:

About.com has been broken up into a handful of new sites, including The Spruce and Verywell, which are focused on specific subject matter (in those two cases, "home" and "health/wellness"). A lot of the old links will redirect, a lot will not. 

Well, now that makes sense.   That means that About.com no longer exists?  I do get The Spruce although I have not known why.  No, I am not very computer savvy.  Don't know of Verywell.  Thanks chromedome. 

Darienne

learn, learn, learn...

We live in hope.