• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

rotuts

rotuts

temperature is very important to espresso.

some palates finer than mine  vary the extraction temp within a 5 degree range  :  200 - 205 based on the green bean blend

dry processed vs wet processed   

Ive tried this and I can't taste the difference  so all mine are done at about 200 f  I have a PID Alexia for the temp is very finely comtrolled

by the machine not me.

time from first ' drip' to end iof the extraction s also very important   too fast  : under extraction  too slow  over extraction.

If you read various coffee forums etc   this degree of detail might seem

dis-ingenous   and for im sure a lot of HuffPuff's it is.

but most of it is not if you've event the time working this our for yourself.

I have worked to the point that any more Fine Control would escape my palate.

one important point :  your home grinder has to match the ' level of precision  ' of your espresso machine.

or you buy a cheaper machine  as thou are loosing the potential benefit of the more expensive machine

its a series that ' adds up ' A + B + C + D = espresso.   you have to look at the lowest common denomitaton

as you cannot get great espresso out of DunkunDonuts coffee beans with 

this  :

https://www.chriscoffee.com/GS3-Volumetric-Espresso-Machine-p/gs3-1g-avnw.htm

and

https://www.chriscoffee.com/La-Marzocco-Swift-Espresso-Grinder-p/swift.htm

if you made DD's  ' coffee'  at home w their beans you would get DD's coffee ' at home '

the grinder above has one benefit :  you can have two different espresso blends of beans on hand at the same time !

suprise.gif.374268be4b06ac5f793e7d1b179c4e97.gif

green beans  ->  roasting -> grinding -> extraction .   as well as the cup.  why would you can't to drink The Real Deal out of plastic ?

as @weinoo   has suggested :

don't forget your water quality !

rotuts

rotuts

temperature is very important to espresso.

some palates finer than mine  vary the extraction temp within a 5 degree range  :  200 - 205 based on the green bean blend

dry processed vs wet processed   

Ive tried this and I can't taste the difference  so all mine are done at about 200 f  I have a PID Alexia for the temp is very finely comtrolled

by the machine not me.

time from first ' drip' to end is also very important   too fast  : under extraction  too slow  over extraction.

If you read various coffee forums etc   this degree of detail might seem

dis-ingenous   and for im sure a lot of HuffPuff's it is.

but most of it is not if you've event the time working this our for yourself.

I have worked to the point that any more Fine Control would escape my palate.

one important point :  your home grinder has to match the ' level of precision  ' of your espresso machine.

or you buy a cheaper machine  as thou are loosing the potential of the more expresso machine

its a series that ' adds up '

green beans  ->  roasting -> grinding -> extraction .   as well as the cup.  why would you can't to drink The Real Deal out of plastic ?

as @weinoo   has suggested :

don't forget your water quality !