• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Scoring Dough to Create a Pattern

Shel_B

Not sure if the subject line really reflects the situation and my question.

Sweetie made a couple of loaves of soda bread the other day, and cut the top of the loaf in order to make a pattern something like THISHowever, the pattern or cut mark didn't show on the finished loaf.  I don't know much more other than she said she made the cut "pretty deep."

What might be the cause of the cut mark not showing on the finished loaf?  Thanks!

... Shel

When you show the pattern she was trying to make, are you referring to the white spiral, or to the straight but ragged-lipped slash across the top?  The spiral wasn't made by cutting. The straight slash was.

Nancy Smith, aka "Smithy"
HosteG Forumsnsmith@egstaff.org

Follow us on social media! Facebook; instagram.com/egulletx; twitter.com/egullet

"Every day should be filled with something delicious, because life is too short not to spoil yourself. " -- Ling (with permission)
"There comes a time in every project when you have to shoot the engineer and start production." -- author unknown

2 hours ago, Smithy said:

When you show the pattern she was trying to make, are you referring to the white spiral, or to the straight but ragged-lipped slash across the top?  The spiral wasn't made by cutting. The straight slash was.

The slash ... thanks!

... Shel

The slash should be cut at an approximately 30° angle, just before baking, in order to form a good 'ear'. Hers may have disappeared because the loaf was not proofed enough, the cut was not angled enough or deep enough. HERE's a good page about the topic, showing the results of different slashes.

BTW, the white stripes are rice flour added at the last minute, it does not brown.

Edited by Lisa Shock (log)
  • Like 2

1 minute ago, Lisa Shock said:

The slash should be cut at an approximately 30° angle, just before baking, in order to form a good 'ear'. Hers may have disappeared because the loaf was not proofed enough, the cut was not angled enough or deep enough. HERE's a good page about the topic, showing the results of different slashes.

Hmmm.  But this was soda bread.  I have a hard time understanding how it would work with soda bread. But I'm open to an explanation.

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

5 hours ago, Anna N said:

Hmmm.  But this was soda bread.  I have a hard time understanding how it would work with soda bread. But I'm open to an explanation.

Yeah, I was thinking soda bread doesn't rise as much as a yeast bread, and you don't get that same oven spring from the yeast getting all excited.

I am used to Irish soda bread that is scored in a cross pattern to keep it from ripping and allow the highest rise. Here are examples from Serious Eats, Betty Crocker and Society for the Preservation of Irish Soda Bread that depict the bread holding evidence of being scored.

Perhaps if the bread were scored too early or was over-hydrated, the pattern would disappear? Since you want to pop it into the oven as soon and mixing and panning are done, I can't imagine scoring too early being the problem. I can't explain it, but one of the pics on the Serious Eats site seems to have lost most of the evidence of the scoring? Hmm? 

> ^ . . ^ <

I'd like to thank everyone for their input.  I know that my sweetie has learned a few things ... I'm looking forward to her next batch of soda breat, which, scored or not, is very satisfying.

... Shel

7 hours ago, Shel_B said:

I'd like to thank everyone for their input.  I know that my sweetie has learned a few things ... I'm looking forward to her next batch of soda breat, which, scored or not, is very satisfying.

Hopefully she understands that the photo you linked to is not a picture of soda bread. Soda bread is a quick bread and those act VERY differently from yeast breads. She's trying to get an apple to become an orange.

I've been making soda bread almost my entire life.

I knead it a bit, the same way I do my scone dough - not too much or it will get tough.

I form it into a round, slap it onto a baking sheet  and cut straight down first one way, then the other all the way to the pan - so it is in 4 quarters but still together.  I use a bench knife.

It looks like this.  Usually like the one on the left but sometimes like the one on the right.  

I've never seen it done any differently.  

Edited by andiesenji (log)

"There are, it has been said, two types of people in the world. There are those who say: this glass is half full. And then there are those who say: this glass is half empty. The world belongs, however, to those who can look at the glass and say: What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!" Terry Pratchett