• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Au Pied de Cochon

Chazzy

I quite liked the Duck in a Can! Our Poutine was lackluster, but we can attribute that to the fact that it was a half portion or something.

The Tomato Tarte is wonderful. We've since tried (with some success) to replicate it in our kitchen.

I also very much liked the Tarte de l'Erable (for two). Their pastry is phenomenally good.

Visit #1

http://www.flickr.com/photos/jlunar/sets/72157615556726957/

Visit #2

http://www.flickr.com/photos/jlunar/sets/72157615648411767/

foodpr0n.com 11/01/17: A map of macarons in Toronto // For free or for a fee - bring your bottle! corkagetoronto.com

I visited a little over a week ago and had a fabulous time and can't wait to return.

Highlights we had were the Tarragon Bison Tongue, Plogue à Champlain, Special of half roasted duck for two. Also peel yourself shrimp was so worth it.

Really not one miss at the table. See link below for a few photos.

http://picasaweb.google.com/lh/view?source...N&hl=en&tab=wq#

Robert R

The best poutine I had at PDC was a few years back. It was a lobster poutine. Lobster velouté, cheese curds, and claw meat on fries. It was a half portion, served along side their lobster roll.

Edited by rcianci (log)

• 3 weeks later...
The best poutine I had at PDC was a few years back. It was a lobster poutine. Lobster velouté, cheese curds, and claw meat on fries. It was a half portion, served along side their lobster roll.

I am so envious! That sounds absolutely crazy. Lobster poutine + lobster roll. Wow.

The shrimp app last week was incredible. Lovely fresh, raw shrimp with microgreens and spicy sauces. Seafood appetizers are always amazing. Of course, the cromesquis were as divine as ever, and duck in a can is just wacky and wonderful. I made my first real sortie into the wine list with Denis' wise guidance, a glorious Sang des Cailloux. I need to start buying lottery tickets to prepare for my next visit! WAY too much fun!

"Life itself is the proper binge" Julia Child

• 8 months later...

Bumping this up especially as I have heard rumors that APDC may be closing. Any idea what is going on and why?

It's the Au Pied de Cochon in Miami that closed in December 2009. http://blogs.wherethelocalseat.com/category/Restaurant-Closings.aspx

As far as I know, Au Pied de Cochon in Montreal (to which this thread is devoted) is alive & well, and not related to the APDC that was in Miami.

Edited by phoenikia (log)

Bumping this up especially as I have heard rumors that APDC may be closing. Any idea what is going on and why?

It's the Au Pied de Cochon in Miami that closed in December 2009. http://blogs.wherethelocalseat.com/category/Restaurant-Closings.aspx

As far as I know, Au Pied de Cochon in Montreal (to which this thread is devoted) is alive & well, and not related to the APDC that was in Miami.

Just to be clear, these were specific references to APDC Montreal. Once was last Fall. The latter reference was about a month ago from someone who "knew an impeccable source" but then who said within a week or two that Martin changed his mind.

It seemed just too odd that I heard this twice in the course of about six months. The first time seemed unlikely, the second seemed knowing. Obviously, APDC is always packed, which is why I wondered what other reason could be for the rumored closing.

• 1 month later...

Interesting. I hope it's not true. I know several people, including myself, who have tried unsuccessfully to get reservations at the Cabane this spring, which seemed weird to me.

"Life itself is the proper binge" Julia Child

• 1 year later...
  • 1 month later...

I visited PdC very recently (June). It was my second visit. For anybody who plans to visit ever (previous two years before), these are my recommendations:

* Plates are huge, really huge. The waitress who was serving us never really commented on it. We ate too much with the appetizers and the bread

that when the main plates arrived, we were just like "how am I going to eat all this"?

* One of their signature dishes (the pied de cochon stuffed with foie gras) was ridiculously big. It is a plate for 2, not one person.

* The duck in a can can certainly be eaten by one person, but don't eat much during the appetizers.

By the time I was full I could not stand the look of the food any more. We left with more than 2 kgs of left overs. I felt so feed up, that I seriously doubted would come back.

but then something miraculous happened...

the next day, for lunch, I reheated in the oven the pied with foie gras (it had the foie gras from the duck in a can too---we had foie gras for appetizer so you can imagine).

When I started eating it I could not believe how great the flavour was. It did what great food does: it brought me back to my childhood (my significant other is pescaterian,

so we don't eat pig frequently). The flavours were exquisite.

Yes, it was full of fat and calories. Yes, it is the raw pleasure of eating pig like a pig. But, oh my, the food is fantastic.

So my recommendation: watch what you order, and don't overeat and you will have a great time. At least that is what I keep telling myself

I'll do the next time I am visiting Montreal.

If anybody is interested in Montreal eating, send me a message. I have a google map annotated with my comments and recommendations.

--dmg

• 1 year later...

By now, APdC is de rigueur, perhaps even passé, but I still think it's one of the most remarkable places on the planet. Went with my daughter, Matt Kayahara (a Society member), and his husband last night, and we slew many dishes, most notable for me were the tomato salad, fried zucchini blossoms, bison rib, and - of course - the foie poutine, which I will have when, on death row, I'm asked for my last meal. (With a mouth-expanding cotes du rhone, natch.)

Chris Amirault

eG Ethics Signatory

Sir Luscious got gator belts and patty melts

APDC is rather amazing, I went in May with some friends from work, and we left with foie fat coursing through our veins. Between the poutine, the burger, the boudin tart and the stuffed trotter, we had more than enough foie to kill an average person. That's not including the six other dishes the four of us shared (one of them being the pigs head).

The thought of it makes me both salivate and shudder in terror.

James.