• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Au Pied de Cochon

Chazzy

I had the luck to be in Montreal this past February for Cochon's once-a-year brunch service. If you can be in the area around February of next year, I would highly recommend making the trek. It was one of the most interesting/fun/filling dining experiences I've ever had. It was $50 per person, all you could eat, all the beer you could drink. It was all communal seating with reservations starting at 10am and going until 2pm I think.

My wife and I went at 10:30am and proceeded to be inendated with pitchers of beer and plates of food. Here's a list from what I can remember:

Buckwheat pancakes with molassess

Soft boil egg with toast for dipping

Endive salad with blue cheese and apples

Shark soup

Pork Loin carved tableside with peppercorn gravy

Cured Salmon

Baked beans with rabbit (served in a big mason jar with a wooden spoon)

Whole pork belly (yes...I said WHOLE pork belly)

Maple syrup roasted Quail (served with talons still intact, hanging from pine tree branches connected to a wooden pole...looked sort of like a Christmas tree)

The food was awesome and almost everything was done family style. The pork belly was brought out and placed on the table with a steak knive dug into it. Everyone took turns ripping pieces off for each other. People were eating the quail sans utensils, just ro

I think the communal seating added to the fun, with everyone talking about the food, sharing the food, passing pitchers of beer. It was a serious food event in a completely carefree environment.

• 3 months later...

Hello,

We are finally making a trip to Montreal and I have booked a reservation at APDC which i am very excited for because of all the great reviews on this site!

Just wondering if it is a causal type restaurant or do people dress up? Do men need to wear real pants (as opposed to jeans!!)?

Thank you!

Megan

Megan:

I was there a few years ago now during my last visit to Montreal.

I was casually dressed and felt right at home up at their cooking bar. Chef Picard was in jeans and striped shirt with most of the staff in hockey styled jerseys.

Around me were locals early, replaced by more tourists as the night went on. You'll feel right at home in my opinion regardless of what you wear but you sure do not have to "dress up".

Great restaurant. I had a very good time.

"Real" Montrealers...I am an Alberta transplant now...can chime in with their views but I would be surprised if they disagree.

PdC is run by a young, hip, very talented and professional crew. Black t-shirts, jeans. My wife and I go there by bike: shorts and t-shirts. But then, we're Montréalers! :)

The canard en boite is amazingly tasty.

Winemaker

• 2 weeks later...

Just got back from Montreal and had a really great dinner at APDC. Luckily i had made a reservation because it was completely packed from when we got there (8pm on a sunday) until 1130pm when we left, the only place that eased up at around 11pm was the bar!

I can understand basic french but the waiter ended up having to explain the whole menu anyways since there were a lot of french words i did not know, thankfully he was very patient! I ended up with the balsamic seared foie gras (on the menu i think is is foie tout nu? or something like that) which was soooo good. My husband had the confit lamb shank and i had the bison ribs, both meltingly excellent!

The only thing i wished they did was put the specials on a sheet or a board or something because there were so many that when it was time to order we had forgotten and then the table next to us got the baked pepper special and it looked so good but we had forgotten about it!

I even ended up buying the cookbook (which was not cheap, just a heads up if you want to buy it there!) and would definitely go back next time we are in Montreal, there are so many other items on the menu that i would have loved to try!

• 2 weeks later...

I am heading to Montreal with four friends (so five of us total). We'll be there on a Saturday night. I called for a reservation, and not surprisingly all they had was 10pm. It's not the end of the world, but we'd like to go earlier if we possibly can. Do any of you know if they have tables set aside for walk-ins, or is everything on a reservation basis? Do you think we'll have any luck if we show up early and just start drinking at the bar (tough duty, I know)?

Any suggestions appreciated!

Honestly, I don't think you'd be able to sit all five of you at the bar even for drinks.  People actually make reservations for the bar so I doubt there'd be enough seats left.

Do you know if they have any tables for walk-in customers, or are all tables reserved only?

Thanks!

One or two people they might let eat at the bar if those people walked in early and promised to clear out in 90 minutes. With five people... I have my doubts. If I were you, I'd take the 10PM rez.

As to your specific question, I don't know for sure whether they set aside tables for walk-ins. My impression is that they don't.

Edited by rcianci (log)

Speaking of walk-ins at APDC: Two years ago, we were dining there one summer night and had a table near the open front windows (floor to ceiling windows; this summer when we visited the windows were shut). It was early on a Sat night and the place was already nearly full, but there was an available 2 top right in front of the open windows. A man and a woman stroll by and stop right in front of the windows, having an animated discussion. The woman walks into the restaurant and leaves the man outside. While she is talking to the hostess, the man turns around, steps OVER the row of potted plants across the front of the windows and sits down at the prime 2 top! I was so surprised, I burst out laughing. The hostess rushes over and she and the man have a heated exchange in French, only part of which I could hear. The woman, meanwhile, looked mortified. Finally, the hostess actually seated them in a table at the very back of the place. So, I suppose they do on occasion accept "walk-ins"!

• 2 months later...

I heard this on "that other board" from someone taking a cooking class from Martin Picard. Cabane a Sucre au Pied de Cochon is supposed to open at the end of February, beginning of March in Mirabel. The restaurant will seat about 100. The food will be served from carts, Dim Sum style.

I heard this on "that other board" from someone taking a cooking class from Martin Picard. Cabane a Sucre au Pied de Cochon is supposed to open at the end of February, beginning of March in Mirabel. The restaurant will seat about 100. The food will be served from carts, Dim Sum style.

Heh heh, I did too. I'm just wondering if anyone here knows more - but thanks!

"Life itself is the proper binge" Julia Child

• 2 weeks later...

I spend an enormous amount of time reading about food and restaurants. Some would say borderline obsessed. In which my wife would argue there's nothing borderline about it.

So while browsing cookbooks in my local book store the other day I picked up Au Pied de Cochon as I recalled faintly hearing something about it. How could I have let this gem slip by me? I'm honestly disappointed in myself. Only explanation is I'm adsorbing to much information and my feeble mind is leaking. :wink:

Needless to say I was sold and its sitting between my copy of White Heat and a Keller autographed 1 in 200 limited edition French Laundry cookbook. Not bad company. :laugh:

Even more surprising is Montreal is less then a four hour drive for me. Which is a walk in the park for a guy who drove to Phoenix for pizza.

From what I have read almost all menu items have gotten much praise. Yet are there any must have recommendations for a first time visitor?

Thanks much.

Edited by robert40 (log)

Robert R

The only real recommendation is to read up on the boards (and in the book) about dishes which pique your curiosity and order accordingly. Another valuable tip would be to eat as little as possible the day before and day of your reservation and then order more than you need so that you can sample a greater variety. Enjoy!

The only real recommendation is to read up on the boards (and in the book) about dishes which pique your curiosity and order accordingly. Another valuable tip would be to eat as little as possible the day before and day of your reservation and then order more than you need so that you can sample a greater variety.  Enjoy!

Luckily with a family of five we can try a wide range of items. Will take your advice on eating as little as possible before dinner. I don't have the appetite I use to.

Robert R

Try the Plogue a Champlain. Buckwheat pancake, cooked on one side only, potatoes, thick-cut bacon, aged Cheddar, eggs poached in maple syrup, and seared foie gras all topped with a duck/maple reduction. Sounds like it shouldn't work, but it does, beautifully.

Another of my favorites is the Melting Pot. An iron pot full of rich garlic cheese mashed potatoes, topped with three or four different cuts of pork, two different sausages, roasted onions and mushrooms and the pork roasting juices. Very satisfying on a cold winter night.

Edited by rcianci (log)

Try the Plogue a Champlain. Buckwheat pancake, cooked on one side only, potatoes, thick-cut bacon, aged Cheddar, eggs poached in maple syrup, and seared foie gras all topped with a duck/maple reduction. Sounds like it shouldn't work, but it does, beautifully.

Another of my favorites is the Melting Pot. An iron pot full of rich garlic cheese mashed potatoes, topped with three or four different cuts of pork, two different sausages, roasted onions and mushrooms and the pork roasting juices. Very satisfying on a cold winter night.

I had my eyes on the Plogue a Champlain since seeing the menu online. The Melting Pot also sounds delicious.

Watch right when I think I'm decided the server will throw a line of tempting specials at me. :laugh:

Thanks all. I'll be sure to report back.

Robert R

I had my eyes on the Plogue a Champlain since seeing the menu online. The Melting Pot also sounds delicious.

Watch right when I think I'm decided the server will throw a line of tempting specials at me. :laugh:

Thanks all. I'll be sure to report back.

Well, I seriously doubt that you can go wrong with ANY of the specials - but the Ploque is really fantastic and totally unique. Have fun!

"Life itself is the proper binge" Julia Child

• 1 month later...

I will be at PDC with my family (husband and 1 yo) next week. Aside from the Ploque and the melting pot, any other MUST haves anyone can recommend?

Also, does anyone know if they have high chairs?

Thanks!

Plogue à Champlain. See my rec earlier in the thread.

The Confit Lamb Shank.

The Cochonailles Platter.

The Tomato Tarte.

The Cromesquis de foie gras (deep-fried foie gras "McNugget".)

The Fish Special, whatever it is.

The Poutine au Foie Gras is very, very popular. Personally I find it too salty.

Duck in a Can is also very popular. Haven't tried it yet so can't recommend based on personal experience.

Yes, on the high chairs.

Edited by rcianci (log)