• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Au Pied de Cochon

Chazzy

Do we need to make reservations if we dine at 5? Is it ok to bring two small children?

What disease did cured ham actually have?

Megan sandwich: White bread, Miracle Whip and Italian submarine dressing. {Megan is 4 y.o.}

Do we need to make reservations if we dine at 5?  Is it ok to bring two small children?

You should always call ... and mention the kids, they'll try to seat you somewhere more accomodating.

We took my daughter there last winter when she was just a year and a half, sat at the bar and she had the best time watching the cooks do their thing.

• 3 months later...

I will be going to APDC in a week and a half. For appetizers, I've already tried the onion soup, the salmon tartare and the tomato tart. For entrees, I've tried the duck in a can, the foie gras poutine, the foie gras with chocolate and the Pied de cochon farci au foie gras. As for desserts, I've had the pouding chômeur and the maple pie.

I now need new ideas of what to try next time. What are your favorite dishes at APDC, the ones you enjoyed less?

I'm partial to the foie gras poutine, but the lamb shanks are okay. The Happy Pig's Chop was just too much food for me (but good). My hubby's favourite is the venison tartare, which was mighty yummy when I tried it last week... :raz:

venison tartare, appetizer size, with frites and home-made mayo... drool.

this makes me sound soo boring, but i order that--no matter what else i order--every time i go...

"The cure for anything is salt water: sweat, tears, or the ocean."

--Isak Dinesen

venison tartare, appetizer size, with frites and home-made mayo... drool.

this makes me sound soo boring, but i order that--no matter what else i order--every time i go...

Is it really an appetizer size or will I be full for the whole night?

As for the cromesquis I had forgotten to write them but I also think you cannot go there without eating some.

Edited by Simon Patrice (log)

Last time I was there, we had the Potee

It was awsome. The Boudin was amazing.

Had the Foie Gras Hamburger which was very tasty.

Next time it'll be the Pied stuffed with Foie...will have to really prep the body for that.

One of my favorites was the Foie Gras and Salmon Maki from the summer.

THAT was the best.

I had the cassoulet last night ... wow.

Leftovers in the fridge  :biggrin:

What's Martin Picard's take on cassoulet. Could you describe the dish a bit? Is it new of this year?

Thanks!

They serve it in the same clay bowl as the cipaille. The cassoulet is chock full of white haricot beans, quite saucy and porky. A confited duck leg was immersed in the bowl and sticking out rather nicely.

I had the cassoulet two weeks ago.. I really enjoyed it too. Actually I will put my review of the restaurant here.. I felt that it was sweeter then any version I have had.. I think he made it really a local dish by perhaps adding maple syrup to his beans..

We started with the Foie Gras Poutine and the APDC Salad..

Hand cut french fries, with cheese curd, a Poutine Sauce with Foie Gras, Eggs, and Cream blended in.. And then topped with this huge chunk of Foie.. I am thinking it weighed somewhere around 3 ounces.. It was the type of thing where we split this dish and we found it difficult to finish the Foie.. And the sauce was just so rich..Mind you I made this dish the Tuesday I got home this week..

gallery_15057_2971_132709.jpg

The salad was bitter greens with the foot of the pig (meat and cartiledge)mixed with mustard and breaded and fried.. This was something very similiar to a salad I had in France.. I wonder if it was wrapped in Suet.. I have the cookbook so will double check.. But when you cracked opened this hot fried square, the meat and collagen had liquefied and spilled out.. It was delicious.. There were walnuts as well.. However, if I have one criticism, however small, its real.. They put these really sickly looking tomatoes on the plate.. Granted, good luck finding a tomato this time of year, but then dont use them.. I have seen ok looking cherry tomatoes, or find something else.. I didnt eat them..

gallery_15057_2971_7609.jpg

This is the liquid coming out..

gallery_15057_2971_48267.jpg

For our main we split the Cassoulet.. Again, there were so many choices, the Duck in the Can, Foie Gras stuffed pigs foot, really, anything from the menu sounded awesome.. Our waiter suggested the Cassoulet, a special that is normally not on the menu.. Mind you, at this point, I was so Foie'd to my Face, I was ready to go to bed.. It was delicious.. Sweeter then I am use to.. I am willing to bet he used maple syrup in the dish.. Making this a truly Canadian dish.. It was really good.. The duck was leg sticking up was perfect.. There was all sorts of really tasty sausage.. The sweetness through me off for a little, but I adjusted quickly..

gallery_15057_2971_182744.jpg

At this point, we got a new waiter.. The guy who forgot our pre-app left with out saying good bye or just letting us know.. We got a really cool waiter.. In fact, at this point we had ordered coffee and some shots of Jameson.. He brought over a Shaker with three shot glass and decided to take a few shots of this drink he made.. It was really good.. We then went to coffee, whiskey and

This was that maple syrup pudding.. Fantastic.. I made this the Tuesday I got home also..

gallery_15057_2971_13867.jpg

Bite:

gallery_15057_2971_24264.jpg

The place was really great.. I love his food, I love his vision, I love his boldness.. But besides being daring or different, the food is really good.. We sat and had a few more drinks after dinner.. And on our way out we purchased his cookbook.. Which by the way is the most entertaining cook book I have ever seen...It was surreal to think, we woke up in New York this morning, worked almost a full day and here we are in another country with people speaking French all around us by dinner... So cool.. It was now about 130 am.. We went back to the hotel and hung at the bar for a little and read the cookbook we just purchased.

I went back to APDC on thursday (birthday gift, yayyyyyy!!!) It was probably one of the best times there for me. For aps, I had the cromesquis (delightful as usual), the venison tartar (great texture) but the highlight for me was a new dish they were making that night which wasn't on the menu. Foie gras à la moelle. From bottom to top of the plate: salsifis poêlés, trompettes de la mort mushroom with port on top of them, a marrow bone, a large crouton, 100g. of foie gras, a poached egg still very runny, slices of 4 year old Ile-aux-grues cheddar, a tiny bit of lemon zest and some chives. Add a bit of cranberries around the plate topped with the fat rendered(sp?) by the foie during its cooking and you've got a perfect dish.

I, of course, finished the night with the usual pouding chômeur.

So many thanks to Martin Picard and his staff for another great night!

I went back to APDC on thursday (birthday gift, yayyyyyy!!!)... edited for brevity

So many thanks to Martin Picard and his staff for another great night!

Happy Birthday Simon Patrice, and that sounds like you had an awesome meal...

"The cure for anything is salt water: sweat, tears, or the ocean."

--Isak Dinesen

I just bought the new PDC cookbook from a local shop. I noticed that it's not available at amazon and the like so I'll post a review shortly for the benefit of out ot towners...

Du beurre ! Donnez-moi du beurre ! Toujours du beurre ! (Fernand Point)

I was at PDC for the first time last week. WOW!!! My daughter, not the most adventurous eater, had the beets with goat cheese, which was great, and the magret de canard with sauteed mushrooms, very good as well.

I had (don't laugh, but I thought it was an appetizer when I ordered it, and only realized when I was leafing through the PDC book later that it's a main course!) the Plogue de Champlain, which I absolutely adored! It's a stack with, from bottom up, a buckwheat pancake, sliced potatoes, smoked bacon, melted cheese, topped with seared foie gras, with a sauce made of maple syrup and glace de canard. Truly an amazing dish (and I'm not usually fond of sweet sauces).

For main course (since the Plogue was my entree!!!), I had the Duck in a Can. It was great, but oh, so rich! By this time I was kind of foie gras-ed overdosing, so I took a doggie bag and ate it for lunch the next day - COLD!

For dessert we had the Pouding Chomeur and the Creme Brulee.

What a wonderful, laid-back evening we had. The service was charming, and we were seated in the perfect spot - able to view the goings-on in the kitchen and at the wood oven.

When Chef Picard happened by, I told him he was a genius. His response: "I'll give you my mother's phone number, and you can tell HER that!"

By the way, I did buy the book ($60), and it's like no other I've ever seen. It's truly a delight to read and to browse through. The photos and the layout are fabulous.

Edited by FlavoursGal (log)

I just bought the new PDC cookbook from a local shop. I noticed that it's not available at amazon and the like so I'll post a review shortly for the benefit of out ot towners...

Do it in Food Media & News ... there's a running thread about the book there.

• 2 months later...

We had another great dinner there this past weekend.

We started with the cromesquis - two orders! Man are they the best.

We also had the tomato tart - great flavor coming out of the wood buring oven. We also had the beet and goat cheese salad. Huge portions - just like everything else there. Great flavor again.

For dinner my wife had the pork chop with the mushroom sauce - great rich sauce perfect for a cold night in MOntreal. The Fred Flintstone chop bone was hanging over the edge of the plate. I had the duck in a can - was very tasty - though the duck was a little tough. We get there so infrequently that I forced myself to wolf every bite down.

My daughter had some bread and butter - she loved it - ate almost the whole basket herself - and was putting the butter on by the spoonful. She was content to sit there and watch everyone and drink some milk.

We had also ordered some of the fries, but they were underwhelming - not as crisp as I would have liked.

No wine - just a couple of tasty beers - Saint Ambrose (sp) pale ale. I was in the mood for a beer after driving, but I think wine would have been a better choice.

Overall, a very tasty meal. I think the pricing is very reasonable for what you are getting, especially with a little help from the exchange rate.