• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Chocdoc - Out and About in Ottawa

Hubby and I made a quick decision to take the train to Ottawa for a couple of days. The friend who took care of the rug rat for our trip to Toronto last month is still upgrading her nursing and deciding what she wants to do going forward approached us and asked if we would like to get away again. As child care for a disabled child is rather difficult to arrange - it seemed like a good plan!

So we are currently on-route - having just left the VIA rail station in Kingston.

Managed to get my meal totally out of focus! 

IMG_4476.jpg.2dde77472796e7123daddc2167348496.jpg\\IMG_4478.jpg.1e9d3606863429616ff20263675ec370.jpg\\

Notice the vegan S'mores on each tray - they are made by a company that EZtemper did a little consulting with back in 2015. They had just got a big contract with Starbucks to provide vegan biscotti and they had purchased a tempering machine that was a lemon! They used the EZtemper until we sorted them getting a different, functional, automatic tempering machine. 

I contacted mkayahara for some restaurant suggestions - but welcome any other suggestions that folks come up with.

Edited by Kerry Beal (log)
  • Like 13

If it's fine dining you're after, I recommend Atelier.  It is on Rochester Street, near Carling Avenue.  They serve a 12 course tasting menu that is fabulous.  The chef, Marc Lepine, has twice won the national Gold Medal Plates.  Another spot is Beckta, which is on Elgin Street.  Impeccable service, terrific food.

if it's some other type of dining you're after, please post and I'll make further recommendations.

First recommended restaurant - Town - just up the street from the hotel 

IMG_4484.thumb.JPG.293cafd3ee7bc3aa38c6132ecca8ea04.JPG

Forgot the name of the cocktail already - it's Pisco based image.thumb.jpg.6121d9949f1ab2cd31704205ea43bc7c.jpg

lovely pillowy bread 

• Like 6

11 hours ago, Kerry Beal said:

First recommended restaurant - Town - just up the street from the hotel 

IMG_4484.thumb.JPG.293cafd3ee7bc3aa38c6132ecca8ea04.JPG

Forgot the name of the cocktail already - it's Pisco based image.thumb.jpg.6121d9949f1ab2cd31704205ea43bc7c.jpg

lovely pillowy bread 

Cocktail looks like it could be Chilcano.

4 hours ago, chefmd said:

Cocktail looks like it could be Chilcano.

Can't find the name - their website is down and I didn't make note of it before she took away the menu.

I haven't had breakfast in a hotel for decades. For me it never was about the food which was always iffy. The prices were always exorbitant. But the hushed atmosphere was something that could not be replicated anywhere.   It was like Sunday morning mass but without the incense.

• Like 6

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

2 hours ago, Kerry Beal said:

Breakfast at the hotel - we know better!

IMG_4495.thumb.JPG.482f3a3ec330615a196d2ef214004553.JPG

Looks like they're serving last night's hollandaise.

• Like 4

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

1 hour ago, Anna N said:

I haven't had breakfast in a hotel for decades. For me it never was about the food which was always iffy. The prices were always exorbitant. But the hushed atmosphere was something that could not be replicated anywhere.   It was like Sunday morning mass but without the incense.

Sadly - this one was not quiet either!

18 minutes ago, JoNorvelleWalker said:

Looks like they're serving last night's hollandaise.

And slightly warm frozen hashbrowns are not rosti either.

• Like 4

I have friends and family in Ottawa but haven't been there in a few years, so I'm overdue for a visit. Just checked with my cousin who lives in Wakefield, Quebec and who used to spend a lot more time in downtown Ottawa before he retired. Here are his thoughts.

I rarely get into downtown Ottawa so my favourite restaurants are somewhat dated.  But here are some suggestions, no guarantees:
-          Beckta, just south of downtown, used to be the best in town
-          Absinthe, in the west end, ok if going to the Great  Canadian Theatre Company but out of the way
-          Whalesbone or Whalebone Oyster House – good fish restaurants south of downtown area
-          Chez Lucien – a favourite funky little restaurant east of the market area with ok food, try the steaks
-          Courtyard – in the market area along with many other restaurants, used to be good
-          Metropolitan Brasserie – central, east across the street from the Chateau Laurier
-          Vineyards Wine Bar Bistro – downstairs in the market area, easy jazz many weekday nights with acceptable food
-          Riviera – new on the Sparks St mall, should be good since the cooking team has two other good restaurants, El Camino and Datsun.

15 minutes ago, FauxPas said:

I have friends and family in Ottawa but haven't been there in a few years, so I'm overdue for a visit. Just checked with my cousin who lives in Wakefield, Quebec and who used to spend a lot more time in downtown Ottawa before he retired. Here are his thoughts.

I rarely get into downtown Ottawa so my favourite restaurants are somewhat dated.  But here are some suggestions, no guarantees:
-          Beckta, just south of downtown, used to be the best in town
-          Absinthe, in the west end, ok if going to the Great  Canadian Theatre Company but out of the way
-          Whalesbone or Whalebone Oyster House – good fish restaurants south of downtown area
-          Chez Lucien – a favourite funky little restaurant east of the market area with ok food, try the steaks
-          Courtyard – in the market area along with many other restaurants, used to be good
-          Metropolitan Brasserie – central, east across the street from the Chateau Laurier
-          Vineyards Wine Bar Bistro – downstairs in the market area, easy jazz many weekday nights with acceptable food
-          Riviera – new on the Sparks St mall, should be good since the cooking team has two other good restaurants, El Camino and Datsun.

Thanks for that - tonight we are headed to Whalesbone (the one on Elgin). Riviera is on our radar - wondering if it might work for lunch tomorrow. Beckta is just up the street.

Edited by Kerry Beal (log)
  • Like 1

IMG_4502.jpg.c9d5502ad7777d8b26ae91a0008573ea.jpg

Strip loin with Chimichurri 

IMG_4505.jpg.fa70f600a36ce968143f94d9b97c8713.jpg

fingerling potatoes with chive

IMG_4503.jpg.daea4114e218036f39bac09ae898b26b.jpg

Bone marrow

IMG_4507.jpg.15a92f7936e7fe24efc5ddfb7f00f246.jpg

Cauliflower - roasted, fried - with cauliflower cream, almonds, drunk raisins and padano cheese. Great potential - not terribly well executed sadly.

• Like 7

21 minutes ago, Kerry Beal said:

IMG_4502.jpg.c9d5502ad7777d8b26ae91a0008573ea.jpg

Strip loin with Chimichurri 

IMG_4505.jpg.fa70f600a36ce968143f94d9b97c8713.jpg

fingerling potatoes with chive

IMG_4503.jpg.daea4114e218036f39bac09ae898b26b.jpg

Bone marrow

IMG_4507.jpg.15a92f7936e7fe24efc5ddfb7f00f246.jpg

Cauliflower - roasted, fried - with cauliflower cream, almonds, drunk raisins and padano cheese. Great potential - not terribly well executed sadly.

Are you you eating this at Whalesbone?

• Like 1

A little further up the street is this store that hubby insisted we go to again today.

IMG_4510.jpg.f48d61b610f4cb4e930d23b56587d0b5.jpg

IMG_4509.jpg.23b09a01d6a620abf7b5083004c9fa1f.jpg

IMG_4514.jpg.6574f9ebd9badbb80efcf6bc9592f989.jpg

We also stopped in to a Japanese dollar store. 

• Like 7

You found a Japanese dollar store? Wow!  

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog