• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create an account.

BeeZee

Lodge Carbon Steel skillet

I'd probably go with Matfer, just because they've been doing this a long time and I've never heard of anyone having problems. In general I'd prefer to shop for these pans in person at a restaurant store. Carbon steel pans come in a range of weights/thicknesses, and can be hard to know what's what based on descriptions. Generally, if you have a more powerful your range, you can benefit from a thinner pan (more responsive). If you have a weaker consumer range, you need more thermal mass. 

Preseasoning will save a few minutes of your time on a product that will last a hundred years. I wouldn't consider it a serious benefit. I've never heard of a restaurant seasoning these things; they just throw them on the fire and start cooking.