• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Lodge Carbon Steel skillet

BeeZee

I'm considering dipping my toes into carbon steel pans, I use 10" Calphalon hard anodized most frequently and after 20 years the finish is shot (I don't use it "that" frequently, truth be told, or it would have been shot much sooner). It's the best overall size for our 2 person household. I never make eggs, so egg tests are irrelevant. I sear chicken and fish most of the time. Lodge sells them "pre-seasoned" which I am aware is not a guarantee of using it right out of the box, but I don't want to invest too much time with seasoning, so it seems a good start. Anyone have any experience with this product? It is very reasonably priced and is made in U.S.A.

"Only dull people are brilliant at breakfast" - Oscar Wilde

40 minutes ago, gfweb said:

I have this https://www.amazon.com/Matfer-Bourgeat-062005-Frying-8-Inch/dp/B000KENOTK/ref=sr_1_1?s=home-garden&ie=UTF8&qid=1490575832&sr=1-1&keywords=matfer+carbon

and a Darto. The Matfer (above) is about twice the price of the lodge and has the clear advantage of no rivets in the pan...ie easy to clean.

The picture looked like there were rivets?

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

5 hours ago, Paul Fink said:

Those are spot welds not rivets. 

I have never seen spot welds on the inside of a pan before.

My point was, based on the amazon pictures, I don't think they are spot welds.  I have several pans with spot welded handles and in no case are the spot welds on the inside of the pan.  The spot welds are on the outside, eg. the handle side, of the pan.

Lodge 10 INCH CARBON STEEL SKILLET

Features:

• Heavy gauge carbon steel.
  • Preseasoned for a natural, easy-release finish that improves with use.
  • Steel riveted handle.
  • Made in the USA.

Screenshot_2017-03-27_16-04-26.png.a32f6e57d6c814af6daae9780fccf20e.png

~Martin :)

I just don't want to look back and think "I could have eaten that."

Unsupervised, rebellious, radical agrarian experimenter, minimalist penny-pincher, and adventurous cook. Crotchety, cantankerous, terse curmudgeon, non-conformist, and contrarian who questions everything!

The best thing about a vegetable garden is all the meat you can hunt and trap out of it!

The Matfer black steel pans that I've seen were spot welded.

Screenshot_2017-03-27_16-22-18.png.9fc6cdf3d1447c49b9674eddf897e7eb.png

Unsupervised, rebellious, radical agrarian experimenter, minimalist penny-pincher, and adventurous cook. Crotchety, cantankerous, terse curmudgeon, non-conformist, and contrarian who questions everything!

The best thing about a vegetable garden is all the meat you can hunt and trap out of it!

Rivets are a bit of a pain sometimes, but I prefer the strength of the rivets over spot welds (I have four DeBuyer Mineral B pans that are riveted)—or the idea of one piece pans like the Dartos.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, DiggingDogFarm said:

The Matfer black steel pans that I've seen were spot welded.

Screenshot_2017-03-27_16-22-18.png.9fc6cdf3d1447c49b9674eddf897e7eb.png

I stand corrected then.  But can anyone explain why the weld is on the inside of the pan?

1 hour ago, JoNorvelleWalker said:

I stand corrected then.  But can anyone explain why the weld is on the inside of the pan?

Spot welders use 2 electrodes — the two pieces of metal fuse where they meet.

So, in the case of a pan such as above, one electrode clamps to the pan, the other to the handle.

Edited by DiggingDogFarm (log)

14 minutes ago, JoNorvelleWalker said:

weld is on the inside of the pan?

What you're seeing is where the electrode made contact.

6 minutes ago, DiggingDogFarm said:

What you're seeing is where the electrode made contact.

Yes.  I have a number of pans with welded handles and the inside of the pans show the weld scars. Some are obvious and some barely discernible. 

• Like 2

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

FWIW, here's a very short spot welding video:

• Like 2

Hmmmm....

The Lodge 10" Seasoned Carbon Steel Skillet currently sells for just $21.41 at both Walmart and Amazon.

I'd take a chance on it if I didn't have the other pans—their carbon steel pans seem to get mostly good reviews.

Edited by DiggingDogFarm (log)

pulled the trigger on the 10" skillet, WalMart deal included the silicone handle cover. Will arrive around Wednesday.

• Like 2

Received the 10" skillet. It's a little smaller across the bottom than the one it was intended to replace, so I still need to get something in a 12" version. The 10" is pretty heavy, I don't know if I want the same style in 12". I will have to use it to see if the weight bothers me. The finish out of the box feels pretty slick, there is a small imperfection on the rim (where it won't matter). I will likely go ahead and clean/season it a bit more.

• 1 month later...

A business trip last week that extended into this one brought me home via Interstate 24 northwest out of Chattanooga, which is noteworthy because, at the foot of Monteagle Mountain, it takes you by South Pittsburg (no "h"), home of Lodge Cast Iron factory and store. So of course I had to stop.

I got enthusiastic:

5917ad291d007_lodgehaul.jpg.57ca8f5e88e7271ce5d237814b67741b.jpg

8, 10 and 12-inch carbon steel skillets; silicone handles for two, as I might well use more than one at a time. A couple of silicone rings if I want to have perfectly round eggs. A stainless spatula.

There's a new store since the last time I went, built right in front of the ironworks itself. Big, bright, roomy, and the most staff I've ever seen. And lots and lots of cookware. I could spend a lot of money in there.

I have flaxseed oil on my grocery list, and am about to go read the thread on seasoning carbon steel pans, a venture that will have to wait as I am off on business travel early next week, too.

• Like 10

Don't ask. Eat it.

www.kayatthekeyboard.wordpress.com