• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Carrot Cake - Bake-off XIX

Kerry Beal

I think it's time for a new bake-off.

Carrot cake is one of those items that varies significantly from place to place - in common they seem to contain carrot - and cream cheese frosting is fairly ubiquitous - but beyond that they vary from cakey to fruit filled and very moist. 

So let's show them off here - recipes welcome!

Edited by Kerry Beal
Adjusted title (log)
  • Like 2

It's been some years now, perhaps 2002, but I vaguely remember this test being done, with I think, was about 6 different carrot recipes.  It might have been on the FC forum.  The member doing the eval. was or is a scientist in Europe.

Also here: 

Edited by oli (log)

Just checked and will need to place a grocery order before I can participate.   Any recipe that does not contain raisins and pineapple is a dealbreaker for me.

Edited by Anna N (log)

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

2 minutes ago, Anna N said:

Just checked and will need to place a grocery order before I can participate.   Any recipe that does not contain raisins and pineapple is a dealbreaker for me.

I am the breaker of deals... no carrot cake I make shall contain raisins. :D 

If I'm served carrot cake and it contains raisins, I eat it. But I never add them myself. Raisins are an on-the-fence thing for me, don't actually hate them but don't particularly love them either. I will eat them in moderation but things heavily raisin-saturated like raisin pie or raisin butter tarts, I'll pass.

• Like 2

It's kinda like wrestling a gorilla... you don't stop when you're tired, you stop when the gorilla is tired.

Can I post yesterday's effort ? I'll take that as a yes.

IMG_3367.thumb.JPG.5fff27954ece6e5608cf9d9c43d040ce.JPGIMG_3370.thumb.JPG.176acdfc7b8398d7c6b5b5ecd96668cc.JPG

The recipe is here http://vst.to/mjmVXml 

i used coconut oil instead of canola, and skimped on the icing sugar in the cream cheese frosting, so it's a bit runny.

For a non baker (perhaps my third cake ever) I was pretty pleased with the result. 

• Like 6