• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Using a serrated knife: technique question

cutter

I am looking to take a class on line for knife techniques,and I stumbled on one I think I would like. Got a glimpse of some of what this guy teaches and was not sure by what i saw if I  want to take the class. What I saw was the teacher using a serrated knife like a chef knife in cutting tech.,what I mean by that is he was using a serrated knife using a  cutting tech. that only I think a chef knife should be used for. He was cutting with the tip of serrated knife down on board and then doing a forward down cut through the item,which i would think a serrated knife  you cant get a good cut that way bec. of the edge scallopeds or points. That cut  is more for a chef knife bec. of the belly right? So looking on line and found mostly with serrated knife should use a sawing (back and forth movement) or a long pull. nothing like the teacher shows unless he knows something I dont. Does any one here  know why a serrated knife could be used this way beside the way it is intended to be used? THIS is whats holding me up on joining or not....dont want to learn the wrong way to do things.

Edited by Smithy
Adjusted title (log)

1 hour ago, cutter said:

I am looking to take a class on line for knife techniques,and I stumbled on one I think I would like. Got a glimpse of some of what this guy teaches and was not sure by what i saw if I  want to take the class. What I saw was the teacher using a serrated knife like a chef knife in cutting tech.,what I mean by that is he was using a serrated knife using a  cutting tech. that only I think a chef knife should be used for. He was cutting with the tip of serrated knife down on board and then doing a forward down cut through the item,which i would think a serrated knife  you cant get a good cut that way bec. of the edge scallopeds or points. That cut  is more for a chef knife bec. of the belly right? So looking on line and found mostly with serrated knife should use a sawing (back and forth movement) or a long pull. nothing like the teacher shows unless he knows something I dont. Does any one here  know why a serrated knife could be used this way beside the way it is intended to be used? THIS is whats holding me up on joining or not....dont want to learn the wrong way to do things.

Could you provide a link so we can see exactly what the instructor is doing?

"There is no sincerer love than the love of food."  -George Bernard Shaw, Man and Superman, Act 1

"Imagine all the food you have eaten in your life and consider that you are simply some of that food, rearranged."  -Max Tegmark, physicist

Gene Weingarten, writing in the Washington Post about online news stories and the accompanying readers' comments: "I basically like 'comments,' though they can seem a little jarring: spit-flecked rants that are appended to a product that at least tries for a measure of objectivity and dignity. It's as though when you order a sirloin steak, it comes with a side of maggots."

"...in the mid-’90s when the internet was coming...there was a tendency to assume that when all the world’s knowledge comes online, everyone will flock to it. It turns out that if you give everyone access to the Library of Congress, what they do is watch videos on TikTok."  -Neil Stephenson, author, in The Atlantic

"In questions of science, the authority of a thousand is not worth the humble reasoning of a single individual." -Galileo Galilei, physicist and astronomer

I wouldn't trust anyone who uses a serrated knife for anything besides bread and cake. 

There isn't much technique to cutting these things. Just don't apply cutting pressure when you're changing directions, and you should get a clean cut.

The only thing hard about serrated knives is sharpening them.

• Like 1

Notes from the underbelly

I'm not sure if this is relevant, or even how true it is, but it is a story about BS knife skills.

I listen to a podcast called Penn's Sunday School, hosted by half of the Penn & Teller comedy magic duo, Penn Jillette.  Here, I heard a story that made me laugh,

Penn & Teller do a TV show on the CW network called Fool Us where magicians come on the show and do a  magic trick meant to fool them.  They win if P&T can't divine how it was done, or are wrong in their guess (guesses.usually couched in inside obscure magic jargon).

In order for this to work, there has to be a judge who knows how the trick works, yet not reveal anything to the audience (the magician's code and all).

This guy is named Johnny Thompson and is, as Penn tells it, the one guy who knows how every trick is done - And can pretty much do all of them.

Now, a little aside:  Magicians are students of all forms of hucksterism, trickery and especially the performance that accompanies them.  And they do study and emulate people like Vince From Shamwow.  They actually want to practice that craft - but from an entertainment perspective rather than the (often fraudulent) commercial one.

So, anyway, Johnny Thompson is asked what was the most difficult act he'd ever had to learn.  He said "Doing Ginsu knife demos."

That, apparently, is the level of skill required to make those pieces of crap look good.

• Like 3

Just say no.

Utube vids can be useful in showing what can be done and how.  To learn the skills you just have to practice.  To this day my compost vegs go out diced, julienned, half rounds, etc.  When asked "what the h are you doing?" my answer is that it will compost faster if it's cut up. 

• Like 1

its free.....but dont want to waste my time if he is teaching the wrong tech. yes i agree it sure is practice, but when comes down to picking up a knife you should know the right way to use it.......or the efficient way.

43 minutes ago, cutter said:

its free.....but dont want to waste my time if he is teaching the wrong tech. yes i agree it sure is practice, but when comes down to picking up a knife you should know the right way to use it.......or the efficient way.

I signed up at Craftsy and watched the first couple knife skills lessons.

Yes he does have a serrated knife in his kit  but he uses it for special purposes.

He is very skilled and does a great job of teaching classic knife skills.

He instructions are very clear & detailed. 

I would recommend the course.

• Like 4

you need to go to the serrated knife class,,,,,,,,,,,then where he is cutting tomatoes,to see what i am talking about. you can skip to the different classes up in the corner i believe there is a # go there.

Edited by cutter (log)

A lot of people use serrated knives on tomatoes. There are even some serrated utility knives marketed as 'tomato knives.'

I'd argue that it's a bad practice, because serrated knives chew up delicate foods like tomatoes. You won't get a clean cut. The practice lingers because you can easily cut a tomato with a dull serrated knife, but not with a dull smooth knife. And most people's knives are in a permanent state of dullness. Serrations are a crutch that lets you get away with this. 

But anyone who cares enough to learn cutting techniques should also learn to sharpen. If you have even halfway sharp unserrated knives, you'll cut a tomato more cleanly than you will with serrated ones.

• Like 3

the question i had was not about a serrated knife being used on the tomato but it was the cutting tech. he used with the serrated knife on the tomatoe....,it is a tip down on board with serrated knife and a forward down cut.         something i think would only be done with a chef knife................ just thought i would remind every one.

33 minutes ago, cutter said:

the question i had was not about a serrated knife being used on the tomato but it was the cutting tech. he used with the serrated knife on the tomatoe....,it is a tip down on board with serrated knife and a forward down cut.         something i think would only be done with a chef knife................ just thought i would remind every one.

He is enamored with his serrated knife

He uses the serrated knife like a chef's knife which is the source of the question.

The cuts he demonstrates are standard and can done with an ordinary knife as well as his serrated knife.

Different chefs have different methods. I do red peppers differently than he does but that doesn't mean ether of us are wrong.

He is quite skilled and the courses are well done. 

"The cuts he demonstrates are standard and can done with an ordinary knife as well as his serrated knife. "  how is the cuts he makes can be done with a serrated knife be right? i agree his cuts he demonstrates are standard. yes i agree different chefs have different methods ,but using a serrated knife like he does...like i describe is to me not right. we are suppose to learn from chefs or get some knowledge ....how does one justify the way he uses the serrated knife is right.

Edited by cutter (log)

i am chilled out......i just dont get why first a serrated knife is suppose to be for sawing and now its ok to use like a chef knife with chef knife cuts. trying to understand the knife styles and what they are used for or shall i say the cutting tech. i dont think thats wrong when you are starting out in the knife world. thanks ....... i dont believe there is no right way to do things if so than why do they have different knives for different cutting.  using a serrated knife with a push cut ...how is the cut at the bottom suppose to come in contact with board if its scalloped vs a straight edge blade. its like cutting hair...you cut with scissors but try to cut with a pair of thinning shears ....good luck...meant for thinning only.;)

Edited by cutter (log)

Because that's a fast and easy way to cut tomatoes and get through the skin (which can be tough and cause problems if your knife isn't sharp enough).

The beginning of the unit makes that clear, when he says that serrated blades are best for cutting things with tough or waxy skin. And then he says "there's no wrong way to cut a tomato," which is true. Having cored and diced a bunch of tomatoes in my day, I'm going to start using his technique in the future. It's much faster than what I've been doing (though you can't do it to heirloom tomatoes, since they don't have a single core like, say, Romas or beefsteak tomatoes).

For those of you who don't know what we're talking about, here's a link to the course so you can follow along at home.

It seems like a good free class, and like Paul mentions above, the instructor is very knowledgeable and the videos are well-produced.

so if was the case from the very beg.when i asked why didnt every one say what you said: 

"

Because that's a fast and easy way to cut tomatoes and get through the skin (which can be tough and cause problems if your knife isn't sharp enough)".  i am just saying:)

:)i guess the correct answer might be that a serrated knife can be used in the fashion i had mention instead of saying just sawing........and yes i did tell you but didnt give a link,but you could look it up, not turning this into point fingers. thanks every one  else for the help.:)

Edited by cutter (log)
  • Like 1

I see a lot of cooks at NYC delis using their cheap serrated knives for absolutely everything. These guys are usually really fast and efficient at what they do. I think they use the sandwich knife because that's what they're given, and because doing everything with one knife is quickest. But I wouldn't follow their example unless working at a deli.

As far as "there are ways to use a serrated knife besides sawing," yeah, if by sawing you mean cutting back and forth. But the knife will always cut like a saw ... which is to say, it will tend to rip, rather than separate the food cleanly. This is a simplification ... under a microscope, you you'd see that all knives rip. But serrated knives do it on a macro scale that causes more damage to the food.

Edited by paulraphael (log)
  • Like 1