• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

weinoo

weinoo

add some stuff, spelling error

On 3/23/2017 at 0:27 AM, Chris Hennes said:

Quality in what sense? As far as I am concerned, quality in cookware is the ability to do the job you need it for. What do you hope to gain with a different construction?

Well, some answers are below.

I'm also of the belief that a heavier pot on my dining table, with a bunch of people sticking stuff into it,  might be more stable.

On 3/23/2017 at 1:48 AM, Thanks for the Crepes said:

durability in what should be durable goods lately. 

I'm sort of about the same thinking.

On 3/23/2017 at 2:51 AM, liuzhou said:

Having gone through three or four hotpot pans over the last few years and had them wear through and develop holes, I'm going to disagree. I have recycled a couple as plant pots - one is full of vigourously growing mint at the moment.

Not so. Dry hot pots are very common. There is a recipe for one example here. The author of this recipe cooks it in a wok then transfers the finished dish to a serving plate, but I've never seen that done here in China. It is cooked and served in a regular hotpot pan on an induction heater or burner as normal .

Hot pots, dry or wet, are mainly winter dishes and in unheated homes in the south (i.e. most) the food would be ice cold in minutes if re-plated without a heat source. Hot pots are pretty much the only way to get a hot meal in the worst of the winter, Hence their popularity.

Thanks, Li.

This restaurant, which opened a year or so ago, is all dry hot pot...MaLa Project.

weinoo

weinoo

add some stuff

14 hours ago, Chris Hennes said:

Quality in what sense? As far as I am concerned, quality in cookware is the ability to do the job you need it for. What do you hope to gain with a different construction?

I'm also of the belief that a heavier pot on my dining table, with a bunch of people sticking stuff into it,  might be more stable.

13 hours ago, Thanks for the Crepes said:

I'm sort of the same thinking.

12 hours ago, liuzhou said:

Having gone through three or four hotpot pans over the last few years and had them wear through and develop holes, I'm going to disagree. I have recycled a couple as plant pots - one is full of vigourously growing mint at the moment.

Not so. Dry hot pots are very common. There is a recipe for one example here. The author of this recipe cooks it in a wok then transfers the finished dish to a serving plate, but I've never seen that done here in China. It is cooked and served in a regular hotpot pan on an induction heater or burner as normal .

Hot pots, dry or wet, are mainly winter dishes and in unheated homes in the south (i.e. most) the food would be ice cold in minutes if re-plated without a heat source. Hot pots are pretty much the only way to get a hot meal in the worst of the winter, Hence their popularity.

Thank, Li.

This restaurant, which opened a year or so ago, is all dry hot pot...MaLa Project.

weinoo

weinoo

add

Thank, Li.

weinoo

weinoo

Thank, Li.