• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Got my Taylor 9306N wet in battery area

bonkboo

Not necessarily.  Never underestimate the possibility of drying out soggy electronics.  I once dropped a cell phone in 8" of bloody goo in the bottom of a failed freezer unit.   A combination of partial disassembly, a commercial dessicant (Dry-Eaze in a ziplock bag for 2 days) and another day in a very low oven restored it to 95% functionality.

What do you have to lose?   

10 hours ago, palo said:

An alternative to a commercial desiccant is rice (uncooked of course)

p

I think rice as a desiccant may be one of those myths.

"But I always put rice in salt to keep salt dry"

In fact, the opposite is true, it is the salt that is keeping the rice dry.

Salt is an excellent drying agent. If you don't bag your ice melt salt well, soon the salt will turn into water. That is because it draws moisture from the air very effectively.

dcarch

15 hours ago, boilsover said:

Not necessarily.  Never underestimate the possibility of drying out soggy electronics.  I once dropped a cell phone in 8" of bloody goo in the bottom of a failed freezer unit.   A combination of partial disassembly, a commercial dessicant (Dry-Eaze in a ziplock bag for 2 days) and another day in a very low oven restored it to 95% functionality.

What do you have to lose?   

95%?? what was the 5%?

Wawa Sizzli FTW!

1 hour ago, dcarch said:

I think rice as a desiccant may be one of those myths.

dcarch

I've used this method with a cell phone that had been dropped in the lake and it worked for me.

However after googling the question, I stand corrected. It is a myth, it is not a desiccant!

Yet what do you have to lose?