• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

8 lb Pork Loin - What should I do with it?

bonkboo

Pork loin and pork tenderloin are not the same cuts of meat. Even though both can be prepared with the same seasoning, loin does well with low-and-slow cooking whereas tenderloin can be cooked at a much higher heat and stay tender. I like to cut the loin into boneless chops or the tenderloin into medallions and grill both of them about the same way. They both stay tender when grilled, but the loin might have to be watched a bit more carefully to keep from drying out. A marinade or brine should help prevent drying.

5 minutes ago, winedoc said:

Pork loin and pork tenderloin are not the same cuts of meat. Even though both can be prepared with the same seasoning, loin does well with low-and-slow cooking whereas tenderloin can be cooked at a much higher heat and stay tender. I like to cut the loin into boneless chops or the tenderloin into medallions and grill both of them about the same way. They both stay tender when grilled, but the loin might have to be watched a bit more carefully to keep from drying out. A marinade or brine should help prevent drying.

Thanks, that's really helpful.  I think I will freeze some slices and a "roast."  That google thing led me think about a slow cooker pork loin with cabbage ($.17/lb on sale) and potatoes.  And some tbd liquid.

Love to use it to Make Breaded " Pork Loin sandwiches "

1" Thick--Pound to 1/4

Bread - use standard flour/egg/ Crumb

Pan fry and enjoy

Usually I look for center cut Loins/ otherwise your loin will have a dark meat section/ which I use for roasts

• Like 2

Its good to have Morels

Also makes good stir-fry, cut crossways and then into strips or diced.

If I have a big pork loin like that, I generally cut part of it into boneless chops, as mentioned above; they lend themselves to any number of cooking methods. I'll leave one chunk whole as a roast. You can also brine and then smoke, for Canadian bacon.

Don't ask. Eat it.

www.kayatthekeyboard.wordpress.com

Not a fan of pork loin. Dries out too quick. Like Paul mentioned, I would use a meat tenderizer and pound them into cutlets and bread and deep fry for a few min for schnitzel. Top with some gravy, with a side of garlic mash and buttered corn.

• Like 2

13 hours ago, scott123 said:

Pork loin ground with fat (60/40) stays nice and moist :) But that's the only way I'll eat it.

Yeah but at that rate, you might as well just use pork shoulder, unless your using beef fat instead of pork fat. I know at least when i get a lot of deer meat i trim all the fat and discard and replace with beef fat. And i know a few family members  that use a higher ground beef fat ratio and just add mixed ground lean pork loin for making meatloaf.

After trying my hand at curing my own Canadian Bacon, I'd suggest that. I had my first meal off mine last night. It's a very mild taste, but one that grows on you; I sliced mine about 1/4 inch thick and seared, just to get a little color on it, and had it with biscuits and eggs and sorghum molasses for breakfast-for-dinner.

58d3e4fb6a75c_breakfastfordinner.jpg.b2d02b898b76113199e30791e2533d8c.jpg

Not sure how long it'll keep in the fridge, so I will probably slice it all in the coming days, vac-pack in smaller portions and freeze.

• Like 1

Don't ask. Eat it.

www.kayatthekeyboard.wordpress.com