• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

what airbrush to use with cocoa butter that doesn't require a compressor

kevnick80

Hi guys. First post here. 

Just wanted to ask what you guys would recommend for a novice chocolatier to use as an airbrush for my chocolates?

i want a fairly inexpensive (Badger??) airbrush that you can use with compressed air can, rather than the expense of a compressor. Is this possible? 

I only use it very sporadically for chocolates for friends etc, so don't really want to be splashing out. 

Thanks!!

I can chime in here a little, I have used compressed air for year working on old audio equipment etc. The problem I think with an airbrush designed around a can of air vs a dedicated compressor is the consistency of the air pressure. The pressure you get from a new can vs 3/4 vs 1/2 and so on is so different, I would think whatever nozzle you were using would only work well for a very specific volume of canned air. It also seems to vary from manufacturer to manufacturer. If I were just starting out and experimenting with this kind of thing, I'd look at a small compressor from Harbor Freight if you have one nearby. I know they sell small airbrush kits, but to be honest I am unfamiliar with what kind of nozzles and things you might need that are food safe/easy to clean to make it so, so maybe just a small inexpensive compressor on it's own to get you going. To be honest I am not a fan of Harbor Freight, their stuff is the cheapest of the cheap, and any tools I need to last I always spend more on something more durable, but for giving things a try that I don't normally do (i.e. welding, airbrushing like you, basic woodwork etc) I think their cheap stuff gives you an opportunity to dip your toes in the water without spending an arm and a leg.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, kevnick80 said:

Hi guys. First post here. 

Just wanted to ask what you guys would recommend for a novice chocolatier to use as an airbrush for my chocolates?

i want a fairly inexpensive (Badger??) airbrush that you can use with compressed air can, rather than the expense of a compressor. Is this possible? 

I only use it very sporadically for chocolates for friends etc, so don't really want to be splashing out. 

Thanks!!

The canned Badger air is not food safe. I'd get a Paasche external mix H-5 brush over the badger - and a Harbour Freight compressor that can put out 35 PSI.

Paasche external mix

• Like 2

The small plastic model airbrush I have keeps cooling the cocoa butter so fast that I spend the majority of my time heating the gun (and siphon tube) with a heat gun....it takes a long time to do my highly decorated pieces