• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Reusable Sous Vide silicon bags from Anova

weedy

1 hour ago, weedy said:

https://anovaculinary.com/blog/

...or how one would effectively do that. 

I'm not a "germophobic" I usually wipe things with a dirty rag or sponge and the only disinfection in my house happens in my gut, but on reading the topic heading, that was the first thing I thought. I understand and sympathize with those who have a sensitivity to germs and infections. I think Anova is opening itself up to huge liability issues. Sure if you were to run it through the dishwasher with its increased temperatures you might be okay, but Anova doesn't make that mandatory, but rather "suggests" you can if you want.

p

Two hundred fifty of the polyscience bags I buy are $44.95 from amazon with free delivery.  How much is dish soap and hot water?  Not to mention I've been known to reuse polyscience bags for resealing the same products.

That being said the anova silicone bag might work as a retort bag for pressure cooking.  I did not see any temperature specifications.  I did not see the size listed either.

However I would not buy the anova bag for cooking with my anova.

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

13 minutes ago, JoNorvelleWalker said:

Two hundred fifty of the polyscience bags I buy are $44.95 from amazon with free delivery.  How much is dish soap and hot water?  Not to mention I've been known to reuse polyscience bags for resealing the same products.

Polyscience bags are for chamber vacs, no?  How much did you actually pay for the ability to use their 18 cent bags?

I don't think that these new silicone bags are a bad idea at all. I've been using ziplock bags (as I don't want to invest in a vacuum sealer); I try to recycle them but they are not especially sturdy so I double-bag, but I would prefer a more eco-friendly option for sure. I will probably wait until they have the family-size option available because the individual bags seem quite small (and pricey).

Edited by FrogPrincesse (log)

The bags at Vacuum Sealers Unlimited are so cheap that reuse doesn't make sense.  And in my memory/experience a strip sealer will seal a chamber sealer bag, but a chamber sealer will not seal a strip sealer bag.   (Long time since I've used my strip sealer)

I hope for some Eco redemption by putting the used bags in the recycle can.

1 hour ago, IndyRob said:

Polyscience bags are for chamber vacs, no?  How much did you actually pay for the ability to use their 18 cent bags?

$999 as I recall.  One of my finest culinary purchases ever.  Used it for several bags this weekend.  Buy a chamber vacuum sealer and no need to look back.  I don't think a week goes by that I don't seal something.

What if you want to seal and pasteurize a dozen anova bags at one sitting?  I suspect the cost increases proportionately.

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

I kinda sorta like the idea, but not at the going price—was it $11??

The claim that they'll last 3000 uses seems dubious. Silicone stuff rips pretty easily with rough treatment. If they came down to a couple of bucks each, so you could have dozen of them around in a few sizes, and expect them to last a year or two or three, I'd be tempted.

Edited by paulraphael (log)

Notes from the underbelly