• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

South Beach Food and Wine Festival

Bond Girl

I'm thinking about going to the Food and Wine festival in South Beach, FL at the end of February. The event feature some pretty impressive culinary line-up. Wanted to know if e-gulleteers is also going? Or, if anyone has some past experience? What are some of the more interesting events? And, how does one go about getting to the after parties?

Edited by Bond Girl (log)

Ya-Roo Yang aka "Bond Girl"

The Adventures of Bond Girl

I don't ask for much, but whatever you do give me, make it of the highest quality.

I'm thinking of going also (I live down here so it's a pretty easy decision) but probably only to the events & tasting on Sunday, as everything else is out of my price range. I went to Aspen last summer and the Grand Tasting was the best part of the whole event. If you get any tips I'd love to hear them!

Neil

Author of the Mahu series of mystery novels set in Hawaii.

I am traveling from NYC, so it's currently a toss up. I heard the big thing is to secure invites to the after party, which is infinitely more interesting. Last year, friends of my somehow crashed the Campari party at Mynt, and said it was better than the BBQ on the beach.

I don't ask for much, but whatever you do give me, make it of the highest quality.

Wasn't it the beach BBQ where Hal Rubenstein got arrested for disturbing the peace or some such?

I don't know about that I only went to part of it last year.

Nick, I guess you have the inside info on this. I just logged on to the AIWF website and didn't see anything announced.

I dunno about inside track, but there were a bunch of big-leaguers present. Some guys from Miami (chamber of commerce/convention bureau/ tourisim promo types). Norman Van Aken was the only Miami chef that I recognized, though a bunch more were cooking. Seems signature restaurant items were being served from a buffet and each resto had a butler passed hors doeuvre.

Celeb chefs in attendance:

Charlie Trotter, Eric Ripert, Rocco Di Spirito, Marcus Samuelson, Daniel Buloud, Michael Lamonaco, Alfred Portale. I'm sure many more that I didn't recognize or forgot. Drew Nieporent and Dana Cowin + a bunch of press badges, and oh yeah, don't let me forget the chef groupies. :wink::smile:

The guest list was tight. I was vetted twice on the way in.

Food&Wine was a sponsor(hence Ms. Cowin) and I guess Moet (they were pouring a lot of it). Don't ask me what I was doing there. I still don't know (welll, as with most people, I knew someone), but it was fun and interesting. Looks like the event in Miami is going to be fun.

Nick

Edited by ngatti (log)

I go to Miami once a year in February, and accidentally stumble on this event last year. Will let you guys know if it's worth anything this time around.

don't let me forget the chef groupies

Nonsense! I was never there. :biggrin:

Edited by Bond Girl (log)

• 3 weeks later...

I'm leaving for West Palm Beach tomorrow (Feb. 5th) and I'm coming back on Monday (Feb. 10th). Any chance this window of time will allow me to attend? I realize it's not the end of February yet, but who knows!

• 2 weeks later...

I am going to many of the events and I can't wait. It should be a lot of fun. On Saturday there is a "Grand Tasting" just like the one scheduled for Sunday but it is only open to the trade so I will be going to that one. They didn't really advertise that one too much so if you are "in the business" you should see if any tickets are left. :cool: