• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Egyptian Walking Onions

Tammy

These are a sweet green onion and I've always wondered How to use it.  I recently ran into a butternut squash soup recipe in my joy of cooking and thought the Egyptian Walking Onion might be good to replace the leek.  

Or are there other uses that I might like to look into?  Any info would be welcome.

You can use them any way that you would use spring onions.  Grilled or charred as a side dish or in salads.  Little ones can sub for shallots in a salad dressing.  If you have a lot, make a gratin or roast them with olive oil and a drizzle of balsamic vinegar 

Edited to add that pickling is very popular with little onions like this.

Edited by blue_dolphin (log)
  • Like 2

I think I had that allium on vinyl...

• Like 3

“Who loves a garden, loves a greenhouse too.” - William Cowper, The Task, Book Three

"Not knowing the scope of your own ignorance is part of the human condition...The first rule of the Dunning-Kruger club is you don’t know you’re a member of the Dunning-Kruger club.” - psychologist David Dunning

They're profuse in my garden, especially when well fed.

~Martin :)

I just don't want to look back and think "I could have eaten that."

Unsupervised, rebellious, radical agrarian experimenter, minimalist penny-pincher, and adventurous cook. Crotchety, cantankerous, terse curmudgeon, non-conformist, and contrarian who questions everything!

The best thing about a vegetable garden is all the meat you can hunt and trap out of it!

2 hours ago, Shelby said:

I planted these walking onions like 10 years ago....they didn't walk...they didn't move an inch.  They were non-walkers.

Shelby,

They are said to "walk" because when the top borne onions become large and heavy enough, they pull the stalk over and root themselves at a distance from the parent plant, and then the process can recur. Maybe they should be called "spreading" onions, but it is not as cute and vivid as walking onions. xD

• Like 1

> ^ . . ^ <

Well, I went out to my onion bed and said "Pick up your bed and walk", but they ignored me. Probably because I don't speak Egyptian.

I'd never heard of them until I read this thread, but research tells me they are what I've always known as "tree onions".

• Like 3

...your dancing child with his Chinese suit.

The Kitchen Scale Manifesto

On 3/18/2017 at 11:49 AM, blue_dolphin said:

You can use them any way that you would use spring onions.  Grilled or charred as a side dish or in salads.  Little ones can sub for shallots in a salad dressing.  If you have a lot, make a gratin or roast them with olive oil and a drizzle of balsamic vinegar 

Edited to add that pickling is very popular with little onions like this.

Grilled was the perfect recipe.  Love them.  Thank you for suggesting that.