• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Doughnut Pans

Tammy

I have recently been recruited as the person to get doughnuts for my group.  I am an over achiever in my mind anyway, and I would like to make some cake doughnuts.  Where do I find the pans for this.  Or is there another way to do it?  My group loves chocolate and I found a recipe for chocolate cake doughnuts but I can't find the pans locally.  Can someone tell me where to get an economical pan that will take being used once a week for about 2 years?  

Also if you have a doughnut recipe that you just loved I'd love to hear about it.  Thank you.

If I'm not using a pan on a regular basis I will buy the pan from Michael's or Hobby Lobby (craft store).  My donut, cake pop and seasonal cake/cakelet pans come from there.  I know you said you don't have a local place but you can order online if you aren't in a hurry.  

I'll post a recipe from my laptop shortly.

Whoever said that man cannot live by bread alone...simply did not know me.

Tammy, 

People will be able to help you much more easily if you tell them where you're located.  

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

I have worked in a mom&pop doughnut shop. Cake doughnuts are cake batter that is extruded using a special toolir?t=egulletcom-20&l=am2&o=1&a=B0032O4RA. Real bakeries use an automated machine.

Yeast doughnuts, like honey glazed, basic chocolate iced, and (my favorite) the cinnamon twist are rolled out and cut.

Technically, doughnut holes don't really exist for cake doughnuts unless you extrude them separately. (for small amounts, you could use a portion control scoop.

Coffeecake is a lot easier to make.

• Like 1

I like coffee cake but doughnuts are the group choice.  I have served muffins and they seemed to go over ok.  I'd like a better chocolate muffin recipe than the one on allrecipes.com  I wasn't thrilled with it.  

I did find the doughnut pan on Sunday it was at Bed Bath and Beyond.  It wasn't cheap but it was 2 dollars cheaper than buying it on line.  

The group is between 20 and 60 people depending on the time of year.  We provide 24 doughnuts although I've been doing between 24 and 30.

I'm trying for a selection of both yeast and cake doughnuts with a preponderance of chocolate.  Those seem to go first with the filled doughnuts being the most popular.

I tried cinnamon rolls and I was the only one that eat them.