• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Family Food Heirlooms - What's Sitting on Your Shelf?

Susie Q

I have the last jar of Green Tomato Piccalilli my Grandmother made and canned. It dates from the mid 80's and looks nothing like it should and is probably a biological weapon of food poison contained in a Mason jar. It sits untouched on the shelf and is one of the things I check on periodically especially after an earthquake. I bequeathed it to my 11 year old niece. The poor thing knows she'll be the keeper of at least one of the family legacies.

The real gem in the family collection is Grandpa's pepper bottle. When my grandmother died about 2005 she still had the last batch of pepper vinegar she made for my grandfather. She used to stuff yellow hot peppers (at the time) and spices into an old liquid sweetener bottle with a pointed tip then filled it with vinegar.  He died in the late 1960's and for 36 years she would periodically top off that bottle of old peppers with vinegar as it evaporated. My aunt now has the bottle and those almost 50 year old peppers are black. I don't have a picture of the bottle, need to get one, but it was one of these.

il_570xN.736220072_qa5g.jpg

Anybody else have a family food heirloom they are holding on to for future generations?

I still have several jars of jelly that my mother made, no later than 2004.  I don't eat jelly often, but every once in a while I'll open one and use it.  It's lost its vibrant color but tastes fine, and - well, the fruit came from the family farm.

Nancy Smith, aka "Smithy"
HosteG Forumsnsmith@egstaff.org

Follow us on social media! Facebook; instagram.com/egulletx; twitter.com/egullet

"Every day should be filled with something delicious, because life is too short not to spoil yourself. " -- Ling (with permission)
"There comes a time in every project when you have to shoot the engineer and start production." -- author unknown

This brings to mind the wonderful eG Daily Gullet piece written by Ellen Shapiro a decade ago:  "A Pupick in the Pot" (click)

• Like 2

“Peter: Oh my god, Brian, there's a message in my Alphabits. It says, 'Oooooo.'

Brian: Peter, those are Cheerios.”

– From Fox TV’s “Family Guy”

Tim Oliver

I am working slowly through my last jar of Onion Nyafat. I had bought a case of them right before Rokeach discontinued them in 2008, from a supermarket having a "going out of business" sale. 2 of the jars went rancid before I could open them and got pitched. Once this last one is gone, it's gone. Matzoh Brei may never be the same for me!

"Life is Too Short to Not Play With Your Food" 

My blog: Fun Playing With Food

2 hours ago, NancyH said:

I am working slowly through my last jar of Onion Nyafat. I had bought a case of them right before Rokeach discontinued them in 2008, from a supermarket having a "going out of business" sale. 2 of the jars went rancid before I could open them and got pitched. Once this last one is gone, it's gone. Matzoh Brei may never be the same for me!

Well I had to look up Nyafat!  My research suggests that it is vegetarian schmaltz?

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

Anna N - Nyafat is sort of like vegetarian schmaltz. It was made with hydrogenated cottonseed oil, which  ensured that it was Kosher for Passover and parve, meaning acceptable to use with either meat or dairy. That aspect is also what killed it, when the US government restricted transfats. My mother used the onion flavored version to fry her matzoh brei; before I fully embraced pork fat, I used it for that and fried rice. It gave a unique texture and taste to things. So far, the best substitute I've come up with is coconut oil infused with fresh onions, but so long as that last jar holds out, I don't have to work on it too hard just yet.

• Like 2

"Life is Too Short to Not Play With Your Food" 

My blog: Fun Playing With Food