• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Question regarding TRADITIONAL Cuban Sandwich...

Skyclad

Hello to my very informative friends at eGullet!

I have a quick question, but it's one that I've struggled to figure out for awhile now...  Actually, no stress here, as I think I know the answer to my question already...........at least I know what works for me!  

My question is, when making a traditional Cuban, do you use dill or sweet pickles?  I anxiously await your answer!  I've seen all sorts of recipes for this sandwich using both, so the question remains..  As stated above, I do know which I prefer, but for tradition's sake wanted to get the lowDown from the pros at eGullet!

Thanks in advance for any info you might have.....:)

Wikipedia has a good bit of info on the Cuban sandwich.  A lot of the information comes from Andy Huse a librarian at USF who has done a lot of research on the Cuban sandwich and has written extensively on the topic.  

I'll be doing some fill-in work in South Tampa on my day off tomorrow.   I'll be visiting Pipo's one of the few old Cuban resturants still open in Tampa.  They have been in business for about 38 yrs.  Not that long in Tampa history but they know how to make a traditional Tampa Cuban which will be my lunch tomorrow 

• Like 5

@scubadoo97. Sure would like to see a picture.  When we were there, we went to Columbia Restaurant and had their Cuban sandwich which they claimed was authentic.  They had the recipe on their web site for a while and we have been making them ever since.  Please do describe Pipo's Cuban sandwich.

Edited by ElsieD
Added Cuban sandwich after Pipo's. (log)

Currently my Ingredients--  I'm working with

I cant find the bread local-- so will use Baguette ( Tribeca/ Killer bread ),  I'm making the Mojo pork ( with Pressure cooker/  I'll use Cara Cara Oranges ),  Simplistic Boar's head ham ( No Cure ) , Home made garlic Mayo ( From Ivan Ramen )

Bubbies Pickles (Kosher salt cure/ dill and a bit of heat ) / Batampte Mustard --  Might even add a bit of Mortadella  :)

I agree with u--  finding a good pickle.  I might even make my own

Edited by Paul Bacino (log)
  • Like 1

Its good to have Morels

Thanks to all of you for sharing that info, including good to know stuff when in Tampa...:) That will be delicious! 

I was thinking it was dill on this sandwich (or at least that's always been my favorite)..  Just seemed right with the mustard, ham and everything else..  Just a killer sandwich!  I wanted to get it right and knew you guys would know the right way to do it here at eGullet...

Definitely Dill.

Most places use a condiment called M&M.  About 1 part cheap yellow mustard to 4 parts mayo.  

My favorite cuban in town is at Cacciatore & Sons.  Big +1 to El Segundo - but don't tell the tourists.  The line is long enough already.:B

• 5 weeks later...
On March 14, 2017 at 7:08 PM, scubadoo97 said:

Wikipedia has a good bit of info on the Cuban sandwich.  A lot of the information comes from Andy Huse a librarian at USF who has done a lot of research on the Cuban sandwich and has written extensively on the topic.  

I'll be doing some fill-in work in South Tampa on my day off tomorrow.   I'll be visiting Pipo's one of the few old Cuban resturants still open in Tampa.  They have been in business for about 38 yrs.  Not that long in Tampa history but they know how to make a traditional Tampa Cuban which will be my lunch tomorrow 

@scubadoo97. How as that sandwich and how do they make it?  Inquiring minds would like to know.

Does a traditional Cuban sandwich have mortadella in it?  I haven't seen that mentioned elsewhere.  Also, I have seen recipes for these sandwiches call for dill pickles, others for a sweet sandwich type pickle.  Which is considered authentic?

11 minutes ago, scubadoo97 said:

I hope I didn't make it sound like I was annoyed by your questions. 

Nope, not at all.  I was more concerned that I was annoying you with my questions.

Looking back at Paul's Cuban,  I think I'd have one of his over the one I had the other day.  As I dissected it, it was 95% boiled ham, one small sliver of salami that only was found in one half of the sandwich and no sign of mortadella.   I think Pipo's is skimping on their ingredients.  I do like the mojo pork in there though.  Beats a deli pork roll

Edited by scubadoo97 (log)
  • Like 2