• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Breville Smart Oven Air

ElsieD

Fooling around with chicken skin stuffed with a sausage-like mix. 

375F 20 min in the BSOa

The result was crispy and firm enough to take several bites through without it falling apart.  There is something to this I think. Now if I only had more chicken skin...

Before

161.thumb.jpg.53ff5dbb2a417aa22466583601c08322.jpg

After

166.thumb.jpg.e21d64227d5a2007b16efce7d42e447f.jpg

• Like 3
  • Delicious 1

Fooling around with breaded pork tenderloin thickness... The ideal thickness is 1/4 inch at most.  Any thicker and the juices will make the breading soggy on the plate.

Perhaps you could cook it past MR and avoid this issue.

8 minutes ago, Okanagancook said:

Pan frying to 145f might be different. It might be well dried out and not wet the crust. 

I airfried to 130 ...still very juicy and crust-wetting. 

But I wonder about pan frying to 145 anyway.  The edges have to be way overcooked to get 145 in the center.  

Edited by gfweb (log)

• 4 weeks later...

A heads up if you are thinking of getting a BSOA.  Williams-Sonoma has them on a rare sale at $319.99.  Usually Amazon drops the price to match, which is where I got mine, but so far they haven't - they are at $375.

• Like 2

Mark

My eG Food Blog

www.markiscooking.com

My NEW Ribs site: BlasphemyRibs.com

My NEWER laser stuff site: Lightmade Designs

Amazon has matched the $320 price. 

20 hours ago, mgaretz said:

A heads up if you are thinking of getting a BSOA.  Williams-Sonoma has them on a rare sale at $319.99.  Usually Amazon drops the price to match, which is where I got mine, but so far they haven't - they are at $375.

• Like 1

• 4 months later...

Just ordered one through Airmiles. I'm temporarily living in a basement suite for another year as I switch cities for a new job, and I'm hoping that this will be a better replacement than the cheap toaster oven the landlord provided.

Does anyone have a 7.25 qt Le Creuset Round French Oven and know if it fits in here? I'm thinking it's just a tad too small... wondering if I should bring mine out from Calgary next time I visit. 

Sizzle and Sear

Owner/Editor

https://www.sizzleandsear.com/

I have the BSO Air.  I just filled my biggest Le Crueset with water and it held 6 quarts to the top, so smaller than yours.  In the bottom it says 26 which I assume to be cm.  The pot across the top is 10".  This one fits easily into this oven with lots of room to spare on all sides and the top.  I hope this is of some help.

• Like 1

Thanks Elsie. It's the height that I'm mostly concerned about. Online it says the oven is 7 inches high which is the approx same height as the dutch oven according to online stats. I guess once I get the oven, I'll get my father in Calgary to measure it with the lid. Might be able to make it squeeze in if I customize it with a smaller knob.

Sizzle and Sear

Owner/Editor

Or use it as an excuse to buy a smaller one... but to tell you the truth, I don't see the point of a smaller one. Anything I can do in a small one, I can do in a big one... maybe get a $50 one from Amazon Basics since it's only temp.  Or invest in a different shaped one.

Sizzle and Sear

Owner/Editor

@CanadianHomeChef, unless you need an especially heavy lid for the particular cook, another option is to get a silicone lid that fits the Dutch oven in question. Here's a rectangular "banana leaf" lid by Charles Viancin; the company makes a variety of shapes and sizes. They stand up well to the heat, although I've seen some discoloration in mine. 

Nancy Smith, aka "Smithy"
HosteG Forumsnsmith@egstaff.org

Follow us on social media! Facebook; instagram.com/egulletx; twitter.com/egullet

"Every day should be filled with something delicious, because life is too short not to spoil yourself. " -- Ling (with permission)
"There comes a time in every project when you have to shoot the engineer and start production." -- author unknown

Question:  how do you clean the inside top of the thing?  I can clean the racks, sides and back, but is there a good way to clean the inside top?  I have cooked a lot of bacon in there recently and it needs cleaning.