• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

Arey

Arey

20 hours ago, pastrygirl said:

I've had decent luck with the little Terro ant bait stations.  And yes, you will likely want to treat the yard or at least go all around the house at the foundation.  And you may need to do that a few times over the long term, like quarterly, for best results.

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Terro-Liquid-Ant-Killer-Bait-Stations-6-Pack-T300/202532940

I have a contract with a pest control company and they spray my deck and foundations every 3 months.  They always give me a supply of the Terro bait stations which I use inside the house.  Ants seem to love the stuff but I take precautions so that Bryn can't get to the bait stations.  No pesticides or spraying inside the house since I have COPD and Bryn and I both have allergies. Probably to each other. The pest control company said that once you find where they are  coming in you can lay a little trail with the Terro to guide them to the trap. I also don't allow power spraying by the company, only hand spraying and only the foundations and around the deck.  They have one employee who has been servicing the place for years and we get along fine, but if he's not available and a substitute comes I keep a close eye on them since some of them will just spray away with wild abandon.  Since I garden for wildlife, and butterflies and insects and have a small garden pond ( a real hot spot for the Fowler'sToads in the warm months) the last thing I want is some  idiot spraying a pesticide all over the place.

What you need is a bait that the ants will take back to the nest and feed to the other ants especially the queen and the nest will be wiped out, and the problem solved until a new ant starts a new colony that starts sending out scouts which doesn't take very long.

Arey

Arey

20 hours ago, pastrygirl said:

I've had decent luck with the little Terro ant bait stations.  And yes, you will likely want to treat the yard or at least go all around the house at the foundation.  And you may need to do that a few times over the long term, like quarterly, for best results.

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Terro-Liquid-Ant-Killer-Bait-Stations-6-Pack-T300/202532940

I have a contract with a pest control company and they spray my deck and foundations every 3 months.  They always give me a supply of the Terro bait stations which I use inside the house.  Ants seem to love the stuff but I take precautions so that Bryn can't get to the bait stations.  No pesticides or spraying inside the house since I have COPD and Bryn and I both have allergies. Probably to each other. The pest control company said that once you find where they are  coming in you can lay a little trail with the Terro to guide them to the trap. I also don't allow power spraying by the company, only hand spraying and only the foundations and around the deck.  They have one employee who has been servicing the place for years and we get along fine, but if he's not available and a substitute comes I keep a close eye on them since some of them will just spray away with wild abandon.  Since I garden for wildlife, and butterflies and insects and have a small garden pond ( a real hot spot for the Fowler'sToads in the warm months) the last thing I want is some  idiot spraying a pesticide all over the place.