• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Bangers and mash

lindag

My friend stopped in at Costco on Tuesday for her corned beef and came away with a package of Bangers too.

I have never seen these in a grocery store anywhere.

Anyway, we often go to a wonderful Irish Pub in town and they have great bangers and mash.

But we have never cooked them at home or made the Guinness gravy they serve with them.

Is there a secret to cooking bangers or are they done just the same as any other sausage?

And the gravy? 

10 minutes ago, lindag said:

My friend stopped in at Costco on Tuesday for her corned beef and came away with a package of Bangers too.

Anyway, we often go to a wonderful Irish Pub in town and they have great bangers and mash.

But we have never cooked them at home or made the Guinness gravy they serve with them.

Is there a secret to cooking bangers or are they done just the same as any other sausage?

And the gravy?

What does "bangers" mean to you? In the UK and Ireland it just means "sausages" of any kind.

Edited by liuzhou (log)

...your dancing child with his Chinese suit.

The Kitchen Scale Manifesto

1 hour ago, lindag said:

And the gravy? 

I bought these bangers, too. My husband loves bangers & mash, so will interested to see if there is anything special I should know.

Deb

Liberty, MO

hopefully they will be Bangers that have that delicious finely ground SawDust in them , my favorite !

and yes I can't find them anywhere.

just sauté until nicely brown and deflate that pan w Guinness

Edited by rotuts (log)

I am with @liuzhou.   Bangers are just sausages in the normal course of events. But good sausages are hard to come by in my neck of the woods so I shall be anxious to see if the Costco "bangers" are any kind of improvement. Sausages with mashed potatoes and onion gravy are what comfort food is all about.  And none of your fancy retrograded, seived within an inch of their life mashed spuds. xD

• Like 3

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

Cumberland sausage, onion gravy, mash. Hard to beat. Who knows if Costco bangers are authentic. 

Called bangers because of large rusk content causing them to split easily during cooking. 

• Like 1

I haven't noticed bangers at my Costco but then I haven't looked too closely.  The few times I did try their sausages I thought I was having a salt lick.  I'll be curious to hear the reports on these.  I used to love them and would likely get some depending on how salty they are.

2 hours ago, Dave W said:

Cumberland sausage, onion gravy, mash. Hard to beat. Who knows if Costco bangers are authentic. 

Called bangers because of large rusk content causing them to split easily during cooking. 

I, for one, don't need authentic, whatever that means. I just want a better sausage. I want a sausage that cooks up moist and flavourful and doesn't force me to fight with or spit out hunks of inedible gristle.  I used to think that a sausage was a pretty lowly food but it's hard to beat a well-made one.  

Edited by Anna N
Spelling of authentic (log)
  • Like 6

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

My 2004 eG Blog

"The sausages are for the ones who know what their sins are, and want to atone for something specific."

-Douglas Adams, So Long and Thanks for All the Fish

• Like 4

“Who loves a garden, loves a greenhouse too.” - William Cowper, The Task, Book Three

"Not knowing the scope of your own ignorance is part of the human condition...The first rule of the Dunning-Kruger club is you don’t know you’re a member of the Dunning-Kruger club.” - psychologist David Dunning

...and a musical interlude, just because I thought of it at 2 AM:

“Who loves a garden, loves a greenhouse too.” - William Cowper, The Task, Book Three

"Not knowing the scope of your own ignorance is part of the human condition...The first rule of the Dunning-Kruger club is you don’t know you’re a member of the Dunning-Kruger club.” - psychologist David Dunning

We here the heck did you find that!  Hilarious.  My all time favourite comedian.  And I love those English sausages.  I made some Scottish sausage awhile back....made with plenty of bread crumbs to stretch the meat.

Edited by Okanagancook
Correct the (log)
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Okanagancook said:

We here th heck did you find that!  Hilarious.  My all time favourite comedian.  And I love those English sausages.  I made some Scottish sausage awhile back....made with plenty of bread crumbs to stretch the meat.

I'd heard the song years ago on the CBC. Last night, as I was drifting off to sleep, it popped up in my head with a label attached that read "You need to find this on YouTube and put it into the 'bangers' thread..."

• Like 1

while I would agree in some senses that in the UK a 'banger' is "just  sausage"... I feel pretty strongly that if, in a London pub, one ordered bangers and mash and received mash with, say, a black boudin sausage, or a cumin redolent spicy chorizo, or an andouille, or a kaiser wurst... no one would consider that to be "right".

a banger is, at least by convention, a certain style of sausage.

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, weedy said:

while I would agree in some senses that in the UK a 'banger' is "just  sausage"... I feel pretty strongly that if, in a London pub, one ordered bangers and mash and received mash with, say, a black boudin sausage, or a cumin redolent spicy chorizo, or an andouille, or a kaiser wurst... no one would consider that to be "right".

a banger is, at least by convention, a certain style of sausage.

You are correct, of course, technically. But those of a certain age and I feel comfortable including myself and @liuzhou in that group, know what we mean by "sausage" and those you mention would not pass muster.xD

My 2004 eG Blog

I grew up with an English stepdad and his mum used to bring us (quite illegally, I'm sure) a suitcase full of English bacon (swoon) and bangers.  I did not care for them - I'm afraid I'm on the all-meat side of sausage making.  Fast forward to a vacation in Bermuda years later.  Breakfast was included in our hotel package and I found that I STILL didn't care for bangers.  When I made the request for only bacon, the cheeky British waiters proceeded to bring me my bacon every morning with elaborate explanations that the it hadn't been near the sausage, causing much teasing and hilarity among our table.  Fast forward again to our trip to England in 2011 - and, again, I found the bangers NOT to my taste.  Sadly, this Anglophile has found the one British thing that I just didn't like! :D

• Like 2

I impulse-bought some Irish Bangers I found at ALDI last week and served them the other night with pierogies and sauteed onions.  The bangers had a very light texture - almost souffle-like.  I guess that's the bread content.

8 hours ago, Anna N said:

But those of a certain age and I feel comfortable including myself and @liuzhou in that group, know what we mean by "sausage" and those you mention would not pass muster.

Last month, I had dinner with a visitor from England (and some other people) and he made some disparaging comment about "Chinese bangers", meaning, of course, Chinese sausages. He doesn't much like them was the gist, if not the tone of his opinion. Tend to agree..

• Like 1

...your dancing child with his Chinese suit.

The Kitchen Scale Manifesto

22 hours ago, Anna N said:

You are correct, of course, technically. But those of a certain age and I feel comfortable including myself and @liuzhou in that group, know what we mean by "sausage" and those you mention would not pass muster.xD

I suspect strongly I'm of a similar age, but in any event... it's when stating something on the internets for eyes of all potential ages that I tend to get a bit more specific about such things.

• Like 1

Well, after that story (above), Wegman's was sampling their Irish Bangers today (as was Costco, but, as always, they were seemingly shocked by the number of customers in the store and didn't have any ready when we walked by - are we the only people this happens to at Costco?).  So, of course, I had to taste them.  Absolutely delicious.  Mr. Kim agreed.  They were light, but NOT fluffy and perfectly seasoned.  The packet says they are 8% bread crumbs, so that may explain it.  They may not be AUTHENTIC, but they are GOOD, so I got a packet!

• Like 6