• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Bangers and mash

lindag

4 hours ago, Tri2Cook said:

The brats I purchased do not contain filler (I'm not calling it requisite because I don't know that it is). To be honest, I wasn't really trying to pass them off as a banger substitute. I was just being silly because my purchase of said brats happened to coincide with this discussion taking place. But I don't see why they couldn't fill the job. Most brats I've had were somewhat mildly seasoned and any nice, porky sausage is going to be good with mashed potatoes and onion gravy regardless of their country of origin.

I was referring to others thoughts that you need to cut the meat with bread for bangers (I find it amusing when supposedly proper taste is associated with what was originally most likely just cost saving). 

• Like 1

It's almost never bad to feed someone.

21 hours ago, HungryChris said:

Bangers reminds me of the chapter in "All Creatures Great and Small" (James Alfred Wight - pen name James Herriot) where their domestic goes on holiday and Tristan takes over the cooking. The only thing he knows how to prepare is bangers and mash, which he does for every single meal.

Because @IndyRob mentioned getting some at Aldi, I looked for them this morning and found 2 types. I bought both. 

HC

The James Herriot books are my favorite reads!  I read his entire series (I think there were five or six) at least 30 years ago and recently I downloaded all of them in audiobooks (narrator is Christopher Timothy) and, while reading the books was just wonderful at the time, nothing can compare to the audio version, Timothy's narration is the best.  I only wish there were more of them.

• Like 1

In the quintessential search for continuous cultural expansion and enrichment, I prepared, totally unguided  by previous experience of any kind, bangers and mash with onion gravy. I took the liberty of adding porcini mushrooms to the gravy, along with the flavorful liquid in which I brought them back from the dried state. To me, it is a classic pub food, easily produced in the most modest of kitchens, yet quite good, in moderation. These are the Parkview, Original Irish Style Bangers, from Aldi.  

HC

IMG_1486.thumb.JPG.7fc57016df6c1fd2e1c42d3a9b058114.JPGIMG_1487.thumb.JPG.3826fea168c111c63bdfe931f57df91a.JPG

• Like 8

Have you ever seen hipster Bangers and Mash? In Dublin no less.

QWTjVf6.jpg

Was my lunch

oyMhfDv.jpg

It also ate the mussels because the above was so little. I'm a girl and the food was not much! I even drank all the beers (full pints) on tap in a single session and then I was happy and full.

mKlUJU8.jpg

• Like 7

If bangers and mash aren't doing it for you. And you just cannot stomach the thought of corned beef and cabbage for St. Pat's. How about a Dublin Coddle?

I had never heard of this until I was reading the Toronto Star online today.  This dish is being served at a local pub on St. Patrick's day.  As so often happens, I fell down the rabbit hole.   There are countless recipes online but I found this discussion intriguing.  

Now back to our regularly scheduled programming on Bangers and mash.:D

• Like 2

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

12 hours ago, Anna N said:

How about a Dublin Coddle?

Wow! I haven't thought about (or eaten) that for decades. My father was of vague Irish descent and had an ancient aunt (you know, the type who are born ancient) who gave my mother a recipe. We would eat it about once a week. Mondays, if I recall correctly.

2 hours ago, weedy said:

I'd suggest finnan haddie 

For St Patrick's day? Why?

Finnan haddie is neither Irish (it's Scottish) nor banger related (it's a smoked fish).

• Like 2

...your dancing child with his Chinese suit.

The Kitchen Scale Manifesto

Does anyone use the Nigel Slater method of cooking sausages?  

i.e. putting them in a cold pan on the lowest possible heat with no fat and just... going back to bed for half an hour to an hour.

It works surprisingly well.  Always juicy and never burst :)  Though it does help to turn them over once.

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, liuzhou said:

Finnan haddie is neither Irish (it's Scottish) nor banger related (it's a smoked fish).

I have never had it, but only heard reference to it at a fish market I worked at for one summer. I believe, haddock is the fish of choice, but never heard any details. I have always wondered about it's origin.

HC

1 minute ago, HungryChris said:

I have never had it, but only heard reference to it at a fish market I worked at for one summer. I believe, haddock is the fish of choice, but never heard any details. I have always wondered about it's origin.

HC

Yes, haddock is "haddie". The origins are well covered by the usual Mr Wiki and his friend Mr. Google has many suggested uses, including Cullen Skink, one of my favourites, but we are a long way off topic.

Finnan Haddies are not bangers by any stretch of the imagination.

• Like 1

On 3/17/2017 at 2:19 AM, liuzhou said:

For St Patrick's day? Why?

While not strictly Irish it's far more common in Ireland than corned beef. 

Bangers are are of course ubiquitous, but hardly 'special' for St patrick's. 

On 18/03/2017 at 11:30 PM, weedy said:

While not strictly Irish it's far more common in Ireland than corned beef. 

Oh really? I've spent a lot of time in Ireland over the last 50+ years and often seen and eaten corned beef, but never Finnan haddie.

A quick, but unscientific poll among Irish friends suggests that they all know corned beef (as three said, "of course") but only one in ten has heard of Finnan haddie because she once had it when holidaying in Scotland.

Not strictly Irish? Not Irish at all.

Edited by liuzhou (log)

I'm mostly joking about the whole thing anyway... but I grew up in England.

People aren't as provincial about food as you're painting them.

Not one of my friends wouldn't be familiar with haddie and haggis and cock a leekie soup, and, for that matter, sushi.

And we'd have corned beef at the Jewish deli, where it's actually good. <g>

Edited by weedy (log)

I made some bangers using bulk sausage meat from my butcher.  There didn't seem to be much filler, just fatty pork.  For the filler I used Matza meal which I found at a local grocery store.  I hydrated it with chicken stock and the following spices:  salt, pepper, ginger, mace, nutmeg and sage.  The whole lot was put in the Kitchen Aid with the paddle attachment to mix and then stuffed into casings.

I pouched them to 160F then gently browned them.  Deliciously tender and moist.  I cut one up for my DH who only has one arm to use due to surgery on his rotator cuff.

DSC01857.thumb.jpg.e86407430ec6143ecdfcd54d10c5a486.jpgDSC01859.thumb.jpg.df9fbc757b57bbcbdc091961432649fa.jpg

• Like 8