• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Dinner 2017 (Part 3)

Norm Matthews

Kerala style fish and potato curry with steamed rice. Homestyle dosa with sambar, fresh tomato chutney, green chutney and lemon lime pickle. I have two new kitchen toys, a Preethi mixie (all the way from Chennai) and a rice cooker (from a local op shop). I can't believe I haven't bought a rice cooker until now...perfect rice. 

IMG_3344.thumb.JPG.908bfd4d6a98d494921fb2789fba174f.JPG

• Like 14

@mm84321, Those green lip mussels are tasty, aren't they? The only ones I have access to around here are from the freezer case at my fishmonger, but they are still very good. I noted they still have boxes of them the last time I was up there for king crab legs.

@dcarch, I was admiring the plating of your fine looking corned beef, and thought to myself, "Now that bell pepper bottom with the stem set off to one side sure is an unusual garnish, but the color makes the plate pop." I scrolled down to the second picture and thought, "Duh? That's a shamrock!" xD

• Like 1

> ^ . . ^ <

Shrimp, filet, cauliflower, asparagus. Not to be sneezed at.

58cdfdacce5df_surfnturf.jpg.b2fda80d710f00ddc39f189fcd887646.jpg

All on the grill. It was a gorgeous day today. Last week, it was snowing.

grillin.jpg.fbad1a3174f8e492db78e2c262d5933e.jpg

Back left is a piece of pork loin brined and then smoked/grilled for Canadian bacon. Unlike the last time I forgot the brined pork curing in the fridge for a few hours, which became a few days, at which point it was a hockey puck and I chunked it.

We will try Canadian bacon tomorrow, maybe. Tonight, it was filet, garlic butter shrimp, asparagus, and roasted cauliflower with ricotta. Good dinner. Wish I'd been hungrier.

• Like 11

Don't ask. Eat it.

www.kayatthekeyboard.wordpress.com

image.jpeg.1f37f48ad2bb1cd3407b0273a6ca9695.jpeg

A tray of vegetables roasted with garlic and rosemary. 

• Like 16

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

@JoNorvelleWalker

why, thank you.  My photography skills leave a great deal to be desired.   Once in a while I must get lucky.:)

• Like 1

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

My 2004 eG Blog

A char siu pork and veggie rice bowl. I marinated pork belly rashers and baked them in the oven, they were cut into bite size bits and joined stirfried broccolini, shiitake mushrooms and spring onions on top of cooked rice.

IMG_3350.thumb.JPG.0ffb21ebc1092b97bfebe6f3d2b4ee75.JPG

Followed by fresh fig clafoutis.

IMG_3351.thumb.JPG.d897a32bb0a780afcbf606aaee498256.JPG

• Like 18

A lovely day yesterday, so surf 'n turf on the grill -- steak, garlic-butter shrimp, asparagus. With roasted cauliflower and fresh ricotta (my adaptation of the NYT recipe).

58cef0545212e_surfnturf.jpg.16aeacd5f795e36393e80dc4fba165b5.jpg

Small filets, SV 125F for an hour, chilled, then onto a hot grill. Got 'em just about perfect.

grillin.jpg.8a55b77f5a54b5725ab3597137ba2777.jpg

Getting the most out of the grill, in the left rear is a chunk of pork loin that had been brined and was being grilled/smoked for Canadian bacon. Haven't cut into it yet.

• Like 8

Don't ask. Eat it.

I smoked half of the corned beef brisket to 200 degrees. Without boiling it, it was very salty.  I covered it with water and put it in the Instant Pot for 30 minutes and it retained some of the smoke flavor an became much less salty.  I recently saw a recipe called Irish Tacos and tried it.  It was just corned beef, coleslaw and pickled jalapeños. It was a nice change of pace.

20170318_095447.jpg

20170318_110539.jpg

20170318_143559.jpg

20170318_144538.jpg

Edited by Norm Matthews (log)
  • Like 15

M'mmm. I made slaw today. Got a little corned beef left. That may be on my agenda later in the week.

Today, pork loin that went for a SV bath earlier in the week, with baked beans, potato salad and slaw. Simple, but good.

58cf1b3bab88d_porkloindinner.jpg.8ccda59a4c95752ce39f087a340d7e99.jpg

Loin was cooked SV for about 8 hours at 145, then chilled. Sliced about an inch thick, glazed with some barbecue sauce, and broiled in the CSO.

• Like 13

Don't ask. Eat it.

image.jpeg.157092aa4ecdeb2cbcd2a04c957ae318.jpeg

Roasted cauliflower and a glass of wine. 

• Like 15

My 2004 eG Blog

23 hours ago, mm84321 said:

New Zealand greenshell mussels. Best damn mussel I did ever taste. 

image.jpeg

I'm just a little bit jealous of your access to such quality products (always) and also being in New Zealand to feast on those mussels.  I'm getting close to retirement so keep me in mind for that valet gig!  Passports current.   I had my mussel epiphany at Wildwood in Portland OR years ago when it was owned by Cory Schreiber.  

I had game hens that were thawed and ready to roll so we had to postpone St Patty's day until tonight. IP for 90 min, natural release. Put the veggies in the pot liquor at HP for 5 min and pressure release at ten minutes. Just about perfect for this flat cut.

HC

IMG_1514.thumb.JPG.8534543be787954e1834af2b699b590a.JPGIMG_1515.thumb.JPG.7f1bb76e1658c21cb113b0e742c0cd1a.JPG

• Like 11