• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Dinner 2017 (Part 3)

Norm Matthews

15 minutes ago, liamsaunt said:

Purple Carrot #3: crispy turnip cakes with za'atar yogurt and kumquat quinoa tabouli.  That's for for box #1, so it's back to my own ideas for dinner for the next few days.

Never thought that you needed any help with your ideas!   I'd jump on an invitation to your kitchen almost anytime. You would need to hide that gorgeous tableware though. :o

• Like 2

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

Groan...more dosa, sambar and tomato chutney, with potato mustard curry and lime pickle. The sambar is butternut pumpkin and cabbage. This meal will be my last South Indian dinner for a while (promise), as I've now used up all of my dosa batter, and think I've got them pretty spot on.  I plan to concentrate on Northern India (chapattis and naan) next.

IMG_3448.thumb.JPG.7cc9c85c91421c2cff47b97a900e9b5b.JPG

IMG_3449.thumb.JPG.1758b377d32f5815ee09b0c164619028.JPG

• Like 15

JOHNNYBIRD is heading out for 2 days to learn how to teach rock climbing and needs fuel.  For dinner tonight he has chicken cacciatore with gluten free pasta.  Tomorrow, to share with any and all, a pork loin that was stuffed with garlic and sage, sautéed then braised in some vegetable stock with some thyme, onion, carrots and bay.  I defatted the sauce and finished it with some butterbean honey.  There are boiled potatoes to heat up and I threw some thawed green peas in with the carrots. 

Cheddar tidbits to munch on ... supposedly someone is bringing fruit and either pears or apples would go nicely with the cheese.

• Like 4

Nothing is better than frying in lard.

Nothing.  Do not quote me on this.

Linda Ellerbee

Take Big Bites

I hadn't anything planned for dinner so when Moe called me at work, I asked him what he wanted and he said antipasto.

58e84d66339a7_AntipastoBoardApril7th20172.thumb.jpg.1206b53260a059782be5f5fd5bcffc92.jpg

So I stopped at the grocery store on my way home from work and picked up what I needed.

58e84d99907bd_Antipasto_Board_April_7th_2017__with_grilled_vegetables.thumb.jpg.c92cc88185ee664b9ebc33557430319a.jpg

I grilled the eggplant, zucchini and peppers,

58e84d89a248a_AntipastoBoardApril7th2017withfigsandgorgonzola.thumb.jpg.2432f6f98a3d2d91da1f01f00e104147.jpg

paired fresh figs with Gorgonzola, melon with prosciutto,

58e84da07d2ee_AntipastoBoardApril7th20171.thumb.jpg.9ab41fdaeef12a2608714341884755e4.jpg

a little caprese salad, olives and salami. 

• Like 20

7 hours ago, Thanks for the Crepes said:

Butterbean honey is produced in the hives that are brought in to pollinate butterbeans or lima beans. It's good stuff.

As TftC said it ... and this stuff comes from Cape May Honey Company here in NJ.

Nothing is better than frying in lard.

Nothing.  Do not quote me on this.

Linda Ellerbee

Take Big Bites

20 hours ago, Anna N said:

Never thought that you needed any help with your ideas!   I'd jump on an invitation to your kitchen almost anytime. You would need to hide that gorgeous tableware though. :o

Thanks!  I am hoping that it might cut down on food waste in my kitchen, and introduce some different plant based ideas to our diet. I'll still have Monday and the weekends to cook whatever I like.  

Last night, pasta norma

58e8eb443500b_pastaalanorma.thumb.jpg.f07ce6635fe3635d2d5033313c2b71ab.jpg

• Like 15

Risotto with chicken and asparagus, plus toast. The risotto was finished with the usual suspects butter and parmesan, plus a wild card (courtesy mother in law) a splash of cognac.

IMG_3454.thumb.JPG.9815f9f9bd8faf7d7793388e0a1b229d.JPG

• Like 11

Last night:

Dinner04072017.png

Pork chop was grilled as I like it, just a little pink -- but the real attraction was the recent Radicchio Salad with Anchovy Vinaigrette from the NY Times.

Besides radicchio the ingredients are anchovies, avocado, red onion, black pepper, olive oil, capers, and white wine vinegar.  Capers and the oil were Spanish.  I had some difficulty incorporating the anchovy bits into the emulsion.  Then I recalled I had an under-utilized rotor stator homogenizer within reach.  French fries not shown.

Tonight for leftovers I'm adding tomatoes and mozzarella, maybe more cappers.  With baguette of course.

• Like 12

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

22 hours ago, JoNorvelleWalker said:

More information please.

Basically a mixture of seafood (calamari, clams, salmon, shrimp) hard boiled egg, in a white sauce layered with mashed potato and grated cheese over top. Good meal after a 26 mile day hike, I'd say. 

• Like 4

2 hours ago, mm84321 said:

Basically a mixture of seafood (calamari, clams, salmon, shrimp) hard boiled egg, in a white sauce layered with mashed potato and grated cheese over top. Good meal after a 26 mile day hike, I'd say. 

Is that like a puff pastry piece stuck upright into the bowl? And yes, very excellent fare after such a trek.

• Like 1

> ^ . . ^ <

image.thumb.jpeg.a03d6cf0fff720a4c477cee3315c94c2.jpeg

• Like 10

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog